D&D (2024) Pulse check on 1D&D excitement level

What is your level of excitement for 1D&D?

• Very High - I love the direction 1D&D is going, the playtest will only make it better

Votes: 16 6.8%
  • High - Mostly the right direction and feels like the playtest will result in a product I like

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • Meh - It's different, but not exciting, let's see where it goes from here

Votes: 85 35.9%
  • Low - Mostly the wrong direction for me, but hopeful the playtest will improve it

Votes: 22 9.3%
  • Very Low - Mostly the wrong direction for me, and doubtful the playtest will improve it

Votes: 66 27.8%

• Poll closed .

I also run games for kids, and I've been switching them over to Five Torches Deep because 5e is just too much...too many rules, too many options...for these kids. (I may be working with younger kids; my groups are mostly 4th to 8th grade.
You do what you want, but we started our children and their friends on 4e at 8 years old (2nd grade), so I don’t think 5e is too complex for young kids. IME, it is how you teach it more than what you’re teaching.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Is that what you experienced yourself, or are you theorizing that this is what's going on for masses of other people? D&D is awfully darned popular so I'm skeptical of a claim that it's not in most people's sweet spot.
It's what I'm seeing and hearing from other people.

I mean 5e is the most popular D&D game but I can't go 10 minutes online in 5e spaces without 5e fans whining about it. And now some of the people I taught 5e are complaining about it.

So when I come to ENworld and see people claim their is a massive lovedest for the mechanics and no one wants big changes to it, it feels like bizarroland

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
You do what you want, but we started our children and their friends on 4e at 8 years old (2nd grade), so I don’t think 5e is too complex for young kids. IME, it is how you teach it more than what you’re teaching.

Oh, we do play (have played) 5e and it works, including with my 6 year old (who plays a wolf accompanying the PCs). I guess I shouldn't have said "too much" for them. It's more that the whole RPG thing is so new and exciting that they don't need a lot of options to have fun. With a more streamlined game like FTD we spend more time actually adventuring.

Veterans may gripe about the Fighter having no option other than "I attack" but in my experience, 8 year olds playing D&D for the first time LOVE saying "I attack!" and see nothing wrong with it.

We also played Hero kids, which has even fewer options (spellcasting PCs literally have one spell) they were totally thrilled.

Remove ads