D&D 5E Quintessential Starting Campaign for a group of new, young players.

Ignominia

First Post
Hi gang,

Im looking for recommendations on a very classic, (almost cliche) adventure to run for my nephews, who are 9,10 and 12. Im not concerned about what edition, I just want something that encapsulates the "It started in a tavern..." feel of D&D.

Thoughts?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Its this:

17158.jpg

B1 (into the unknown) or B3 (silver princess, either version) or going to be a little too weird, and T1 (village of hommlet) will be a little too advanced (though I would recomend B1 or T1 for adult players playing the first time).

Later editions...there is Sunless Citadel or Keep on the Shadowfell. Some pretty good 3rd party ones, and lots of people like the current 5E one, Lost Mines.

But B2 is really designed to give a very "pure" play experience, starting with the keep itself.

In terms of edition...just make sure their characters can stay alive. This is the problem with using basic or a retro-clone, even the fighter might be dropped by one dagger hit, and in basic killed by it. So I would recommend a latter edition (5E would be very easy to convert) or at least some alternate death and dying mechanics.

Astrosicebear

First Post
Hi gang,

Im looking for recommendations on a very classic, (almost cliche) adventure to run for my nephews, who are 9,10 and 12. Im not concerned about what edition, I just want something that encapsulates the "It started in a tavern..." feel of D&D.

Thoughts?

This is precisely what the 5E starter set is for. Use the pre-gens or if you have 5e PHB have them make characters. Its a long, great, classic adventure. I cannot recommend it enough for new players or DMs.

starter-set-cover.jpg

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
To bring a different spin to it: pick an adventure that you know very well. The play experience is so much more than what's written on the pages of the module and you can probably better bring it alive when you know it.

Oh, and what scope of adventure are you looking for? If it's just a limited amount of sessions you're planning for, make sure that the players can actuallay finish the module; perhaps some smaller stuff from Dungeon might be better in this case.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Another vote for either one of those two. One note though: KotBL was designed with the expectation that the party would either be a large size, and/or some of the PCs would hire henchmen. Well, most TSR adventures were that way to be honest. A lot of people make the assumption that the keep area is just there to be a base of operations where the party will venture forth immediately. The module really shines with what D&D is about if you explore it like it's actually part of the adventure, and not just some waypoint. Rumors, hirelings, backgrounds, etc.---all intregal parts of the D&D experience.

Gecko85

Explorer
Keep on the Borderlands was revised for the 5e ("D&D Next") playtest. It was called Caves of Chaos.

But, I also recommend Lost Mines of Phandelver.

Rhenny

Adventurer
I have to add another vote for the Starter Set and Lost Mines of Phandelver. It is a great intro campaign 1-5 that can be stretched even further if you like. It gives players room to breathe and decide how and what they want to do and it has ample opportunities to mix up the three pillars (combat, interaction and exploration). I'm an experienced player/DM and I loved the games I played as a player in Phandelver.

Remove ads