Races You Always/Never Use

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
What races always appear in your campaigns? What races never appear?

For me, I always use humans, all three elf races, and dragonborn.

I have never had a player at my table play a dwarf, playtests non-withstanding. I just don't think I like dwarves that much!

-edit-
I also apparently like goblins/hobgoblins/bugbears a lot more than I do orcs/half-orcs.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
I don't generally use a lot of races that are weird or nonstandard, though I'll often allow the first player who asks about a specific, not-quite-banned race to play one. (Examples of things like this: Shifters, shardminds, wilden.)

fba827

Adventurer
Personally, 90% of the time I play humans.
The remainder of the time i might play something else if i can think of a good story-concept for the racial choice (example, i never really thought i would play a warforged but for one PC for a few sessions i had an idea in my head that just seemed to fall in to place so i went with it and enjoyed it a lot)... but yeah the more weird the race idea, the less likely i am to think of a good story for it.

Within my game group as a whole, I think dwarves and humans might be the most used race overall.... though i say that without doing the actual research to tally, just going from memory.

Storminator

First Post
I'm running a Goblins in Eberron campaign right now. Since there isn't a lot of support of the goblinoids, I allow liberal reskinning. We've seen goblins, bugbears, humans, halfelf, genasi, mul, goliaths, drow, githzerai, kalashtar, dwarf, changeling, tiefling, and a revenant.

The previous campaign had dwarf, eladrin, halfling, dragonborn.

Pretty wide spread!

PS

Herschel

Adventurer
80% of my characters are Genasi. I like the flavor and the stat spread even fits a lot of what I like to play (Swordmages, Warlords, Clerics and even Warlocks). My others are Deva. I have a Dwarf I've played in every edition so far but I've pretty much avoided dwarves, elves and halflings in 4E.

At my table though I've seen pretty much everything.

The Human Target

Adventurer
As a DM my players have noted I use a lot of dwarf/halfling/gnome NPCs.

I must have a deep love of short people.

I don't think I give dragonborn or elves enough love, which I'm going to try and rectify in my new campaign.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'll play whatever strikes me, and like running oddball ones since they have more new aspects and aren't retreads. My favorite race has to be halflings, but the last one I got to play in an ongoing campaign was back in 3.5

Remove ads