• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Raging Sneak Attack?

Thanee

First Post
Because while raging, a barbarian cannot use skills or abilities that require patience and concentration.

Now one can argue whether sneak attack does require patience and concentration, especially since it is so damn easy to use even with multiple attacks.

The rules are not clear, but from the letter, would not forbid the use of sneak attacks while raging. Still there is some reasoning behind the idea.

Bye
Thanee

Dimwhit

Explorer
According to the rules, I would say you could make a raging sneak attack. However, logic could also make a case for disallowing it, since a sneak attack require precision to strike a vulnerable spot (usually), which I would think to be difficult when raged. I guess a decent argument could be made either way.

tarsque

First Post
kreynolds said:
Thanee. I wasn't really asking a question. Look at it more like saying "SAY WHAT!?!", but in a much nicer way. :D

Oh come on now. There is at least an arguement for both sides. It's not such a given. :)

After somemore thought though I think I'll let them make raging sneak attacks.

It still seems conceptually wonky though.

Last edited:

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
This...

This is what I refer to as the "Parn syndrome"... the assumption that anyone who attacks in a rage automatically comes flying in, screaming at the top of their lungs, and therefore negates all opportunity for surprise.

What's wrong with, say, the dwarf barbarian who is always talkative until he rages... and then becomes deathly silent, slaying and killing with frightening efficiency?

Or perhaps you assume your barbarian ally is charging to the front lines to aid you against the hordes of goblins... not knowing that he just fell prey to a "suggestion" spell to attack YOU instead?

Furthermore, you get into the question of "why do rogues get SNEAK ATTACK damage when flanking?" Or better yet, "if a barbarian/rogue is raging and flanking an enemy, does he get sneak attack damage? Why or why not?"

The list could go on, but I would suggest that it's easiest to assume that the answer is simple - yes, a raging barbarian can do sneak attack damage.

Many rationales exist both ways, but my favorite is: "Sneak Attack damage occurs when the TARGET is unready to 'roll with the blow' - this is why flanking helps and why flatfooted targets can get Sneak Attacked even though a "free action" warning from a friend would let him know of the threat - the target doesn't know when or where the blow is coming. In the case of flanking, maybe it's because the rogue knows how to wait until the instant he's not watching. The state of the ATTACKER has nothing to do with Sneak Attacks."

--The Sigil

Remove ads