D&D General Railroads, Illusionism, and Participationism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
No resolution procedure can make railroading impossible. Some make it easier to see when it happens.

The game's text can set an expectation that the GM will not railroad, but just like any game (I mean any game here not just any roleplaying game) players can ignore the rules or use them in bad faith (not saying railroads are always in bad faith).

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Having read the OP and then skipped pretty much straight to here, my first hot-take reaction is this:

The best thing to do with that toolbox put forward in the OP is to close it up, take it down to the lake, throw it as far from shore as you can, and watch it sink beneath the waves.

Nothing in that toolbox leads to a better game.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Honestly in my experience most railroading or participationism happens more at the social layer anyway. The GM (or just as often another player) will exert peer pressure on players to go down a certain path or follow the adventure's breadcrumbs. Often there is even an unspoken agreement. Compared to tools on the social layer directly manipulating the setting or the rules are generally crude tools to influence player behavior.

I would reckon that for the rules to prevent railroading - that is, for it to be against the rules, then there must be appropriate game structures within the rules that mitigate against railroading. (I say mitigate against, since a DM who is determined to railroad will surely do so, regardless of what the rules say.)

For instance, random procedural generation makes it harder to railroad since, if you hew to such a process reasonably closely, all you're doing is creating content (often fairly quickly and efficiently) that is there for the PCs to interact with or not as is their wont, or at the very least is orthogonal to the decisions they are making, depending on the kind of content being created. A site of interest, for instance, is "passively" there, and the PCs can choose to explore it or not. Weather and random encounters are, you might say, "actively" present, but are often orthogonal with respect to meaningful choices the players might make. Once a PC can cast control weather, they can make meaningful decisions about the weather (but how often will they want to?), and the PCs might be able to make meaningful decisions about the quantity or nature of random encounters they might face without necessarily being able to completely eliminate the risk of doing so, but usually the fact that a random encounter happens has no bearing on the PCs' decisions - it's just a risk of venturing out into a dangerous world.

Strictly speaking, some background features are also rules that also mitigate against railroading. But they're also sporadic and unsystematic.

Of course, the DM rules for 5e generally don't include robust game structures for a variety of situations, although the DMG does include many a random table for content generation, because the design intent, as best I can make it out, is to avoid tying the DM's hands in this way.

BUT ignoring the rules is another key way to railroad - the above-mentioned "the fight ends when I feel like it" could be a kind of railroading if the players ever find out (and they will) because it renders their choices meaningless. If this annoys the players, you have railroaded. Sticking to the rules is one way to keep yourself from railroading. It doesn't prevent railroading entirely.
Interestingly, IIRC AngryGM wrote an essay about combat, which more or less agreed with the Tweet cited upthread, except that he framed it in terms of meaningful choices. Basically, once the players were out of meaningful choices in a combat - once it was all over but the mop-up - it was time to just narrate an end to the combat. On that view, once the players have run out of meaningful choices to make in a combat - which you hopefully discern by, say, them getting bored - then if anything, respecting player agency means narrating a swift end so that they can get back to content that does engage them (and provide new meaningful choices to make).

This view is agnostic to the duration of any given combat, nor does it require that all combats must eventually end this way. Note that like Daniel Kwan's Tweet, it does not make any claim to the effect that "the fight ends when I feel like it". Indeed, Kwan's Tweet shows his incorporation of this idea outlined by Angry (or some version of it) into his decision-making, along with two special cases, both of which encourage player engagement with the fiction (by coming up with "super awesome" things to do and by establishing in-fiction relationships with NPCs), which is more likely to result in in empowering player agency than restricting it.

(It must be said that, to the best of my recollection, Angry's essay applied to 4e combat, but could very well apply to any edition of D&D combat.)

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Honestly in my experience most railroading or participationism happens more at the social layer anyway. The GM (or just as often another player) will exert peer pressure on players to go down a certain path or follow the adventure's breadcrumbs. Often there is even an unspoken agreement. Compared to tools on the social layer directly manipulating the setting or the rules are generally crude tools to influence player behavior.
This seems like truth to me. The difference between "we'll do this thing because the GM has put it in front of us" and "we'll do this thing because it's a threat to people/places/things our characters care about" can be ... subtle.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
One thing that I find, shall we say interesting is another type of false choice and how it relates to quantum ogres.

Let's say the party is facing two doors. Door A has an ogre behind it, door B does not. They have to choose a door, and some people would claim that it's somehow wrong to have the ogre behind door B when the prep said he was behind A.
I would be one. It’s no different than fudging dice rolls or padding hit points or adding monsters to a fight. If that’s what I prepped, that’s what’s there. Emergent story. Let the dice fall where they may.
But here's the real question for me. Did the party have enough information to make a real decision, or was the choice just down to random luck? If it was just lucky, is it really that much different from the quantum ogre?
I don’t think that’s a reasonable way to determine things. The group will not always...or hardly ever, really...have enough info to make a perfect choice. If the door is trapped and the never looked for traps, it’s still fair to hit them with the trap. If they look but fail the check, it’s still fair to hit them with the trap. The players can’t expect perfect knowledge for every choice.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
One thing that I find, shall we say interesting is another type of false choice and how it relates to quantum ogres.

Let's say the party is facing two doors. Door A has an ogre behind it, door B does not. They have to choose a door, and some people would claim that it's somehow wrong to have the ogre behind door B when the prep said he was behind A.

But here's the real question for me. Did the party have enough information to make a real decision, or was the choice just down to random luck? If it was just lucky, is it really that much different from the quantum ogre?
It's very different from the quantum ogre. With the quantum ogre you are railroading the party by removing player choice and agency. Even if the players have no information to make an informed decision, getting lucky is supposed to be possible and they made that choice with that luck factor in mind. The quantum ogre takes that from them.

Hussar

Legend

When I set up options I do my best to give the party meaningful reasons to make choices. Door A is more dangerous but more rewarding. Door B is less direct risk, but takes more time and there's reason to believe there's a ticking clock.

Anyway, just a before I hit the hay thought.
Just because it happens so rarely, I completely agree with @Oofta here. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads