D&D General Railroads, Illusionism, and Participationism

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeyefan

Legend
You like the setting and you like the system?

Yeah, I really don't mean 'secrets to be discovered' style of things here.

Sure. But some things are set ahead of time and you will tell them those when relevant. So basically we're just talking about how much that is done.

I'm not really talking about 'discovery' style approach here. Merely one person being the repertoire of the setting knowledge and providing it as needed.

Also, don't many Story Now games actually have an attached setting?

Yes, many do. Blades in the Dark takes place in Doskvol. But the city and the world its in are broadly sketched by the book. There was a cataclysm long ago that’s left the land in eternal night, the lands outside the city are haunted wastelands, there are ghosts and vampires and demons, there’s electroplasmic technology of steampunkish levels.

But none of these elements is presented in specific detail. How ghosts behave or what kind of devices exist…suggestions are made, but they’re the kinds of suggestions meant to inspire a group to come up with more details of their own. And the rules specifically tell the GM to ask the players questions and use the answers.

That's really sidestepping the question. Imagine any action declaration that conflicts with the facts of the setting, be it geography, culture, tech level etc.

Why is this being presented as if it’s not an issue for any and all games? This can happen in D&D or any other more traditional game. What do you do when it happens in that kind of game?

I’d expect that typically the GM explains why the action being declared doesn’t make sense, and then allows the player to do something else. Problem solved.

The same can be done with a Story Now game. However, you’d also have the option of allowing the declared action to stand and letting that become lore, if the action doesn’t actually conflict with what’s already been established.

Well, I feel it might be useful if someone was.

Right. And as a preference, that’s fine. But as far as this discussion goes, it kind of amounts to you saying “hey, you know that thing that makes what you like different? Why don’t you ditch that and do things the way they’re supposed to be done?”

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Often I want to play and run games where secret backstory (that is meaningfully knowable) has a strong impact on play. In those cases I reach for games like Exalted Third Edition, Pathfinder Second Edition, Legend of the Five Rings Fifth Edition, Worlds Without Number or Vampire - The Requiem. When I reach for games like Apocalypse World, Burning Wheel, Blades in the Dark, The Veil, or Masks it's generally because I want the sort of experience they are designed to provide. Just like when I reach for a more traditional game I am doing so for what it uniquely provides. You can swim against the tide, but I'm not sure why you would want to.

Last edited:

Why is this being presented as if it’s not an issue for any and all games? This can happen in D&D or any other more traditional game. What do you do when it happens in that kind of game?

I’d expect that typically the GM explains why the action being declared doesn’t make sense, and then allows the player to do something else. Problem solved.
Yes.

The same can be done with a Story Now game.
Can it? That's really the pertinent question. Because some people seem to imply that it very much can't. This tangent was inspired by @EzekielRaiden as GM telling the players what colour of clothes were customary in funerals in a certain country, and some posters taking exception to them doing that. (Or at least that is my recollection of the discussion.)

However, you’d also have the option of allowing the declared action to stand and letting that become lore, if the action doesn’t actually conflict with what’s already been established.
But is that an option, or is it how it must be done?

Right. And as a preference, that’s fine. But as far as this discussion goes, it kind of amounts to you saying “hey, you know that thing that makes what you like different? Why don’t you ditch that and do things the way they’re supposed to be done?”
No. Exactly the opposite. I am not telling anyone how to do things. They were telling @EzekielRaiden how to do things, and I was merely pointing about that at least in this regard their approach seemed to me pretty valid. This is not in any way to suggest that doing it in some other way wouldn't be valid as well.

Last edited:

Often I want to play and run games where secret backstory (that is meaningfully knowable) has a strong impact on play. In those cases I reach for games like Exalted Third Edition, Pathfinder Second Edition, Legend of the Five Rings Fifth Edition, Worlds Without Number or Vampire - The Requiem. When I reach for games like Apocalypse World, Burning Wheel, Blades in the Dark, The Veil, or Masks it's generally because I want the sort of experience are designed to provide. Just like when I reach for a more traditional game I am doing so for what it uniquely provides. You can swim against the tide, but I'm not sure why you would want to.
Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Though I'm really not referring to 'exploring secret backstory,' more about just playing Story Now in an established setting, lore of which everyone might not remember from top of their head. So probably more about being oblivious to obscure backstory... So what I'm really asking, is the OK for GM in such game to say something like: "That's not really how the Salic law works, and your character would know that, so the action declaration wouldn't make sense. This is how it actually works, (explains) do you want to do something else?" And if this a problem, why?

This also is not completely theoretical. I just downloaded Necromunda hack for Blades in the Dark. Unlikely that I would actually run it, but I've been contemplating doing some RPG in 40K universe, and this would be an option to combine that with trying out a Story Now game. So assuming I'd run this for people far less knowledgeable than me about 40K universe, these would be pertinent questions.

No. Exactly the opposite. I am not telling anyone how to do things. They were telling @EzekielRaiden how to do things, and I was merely pointing about that at least in this regard their approach seemed to me pretty valid. This is not in any way to suggest that doing it in some other way wouldn't be valid as well.

I'll speak for myself here only (but my take is that others saying similar things to what I'm saying are of the same line as me), but if this is your takeaway or @FrogReaver 's takeaway, then something has gone awry.

My position within the conversation with ER is as follows:

* This is not orthodox Dungeon World play because of x, y, and z. I've enumerated a lot of things, cited text page and verse over the course of many of these threads. I've given a comprehensive breakdown of excerpts of my own play and even wrote up a hypothetical to break down how a single scene (so we have a control) intersects with Tactical, Strategic, and Thematic subordination of player input.

* Hence (given the above bullet point), the game has been drifted (away from the sort of No Myth, setting emerging exclusively through play, situations all orbit around player dramatic need that Dungeon World is about as per all of the touchstones and inspirations of the Story Now games cited by the designers; Apocalypse World, Shadows of Yesterday, Burning Wheel, Lady Blackbird...and toward backstory first, setting/unrevealed backstory as a not-insignificant input into action resolution, play orbits around the nexus of GM-authored backstory + player dramatic need). It appears to me that ER has drifted DW into a game where the constituent parts create a composition and aesthetic of like NeoTrad 3/4 and Story Now 1/4.

And this is fine.

I'm not interested in him "undrifting" his play (nor do I believe any of the other interlocuters are interested in him "undrifting" his play). I'm interested in recognizing the drift, analyzing its nature, and discussing what the implications on play are.

That's it.

ER is having a great time. His table is having a great time. No one is interested in "un-great-timeifying" his play. But, rather, I'm interested in creating an understanding of the differences for all involved including ER, who would BLOODY HATE to play in a Dungeon World game that I run because Spout Lore handling and Discern Realities handling and the way setting emerges pretty much exclusively as an output of play (and ONLY THEN serving as an input into subsequent play...not serving as an input into play before because it has been pre-authored via prep prior to table time generating the content). That is, for me, the entire point of coming to a message board to discuss games. I don't come here to either listen to story time from others' play or to share story time from my own play. I come to talk about how system creates actual different play experiences (eg - which, outside of culture war, was a huge part of the 4e Edition War).

As a simple datapoint, I am more than confident in saying @prabe would enjoy ER's drifted Dungeon World game much, much more than he enjoyed the Dungeon World game that I ran for him...and I'm similarly confident that I could say the same for you and @FrogReaver. if I ran Dungeon World for either of you guys, you would not enjoy it...but, miraculously, you could sit down at a game that ER ran and enjoy yourselves quite nicely I suspect! That is no coincidence! Its for all the reasons that I have attempted to enumerate and break down in this thread!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yeah, I gotta disagree with this. We skip boring bits in the game all the time; we don't need to model the characters' lives 24/7 in the real time. Now it could be argued that this is not a boring bit and thus shouldn't be skipped, but that's more a matter of taste rather than it being about force.
For me it's a matter of scale. I'm not going to describe every hour of the day of travel through wilderness, but when they get to the dwarven village, skipping travel stops. The players then get to decide whether to into every building, look for the church and explore there, look for the biggest house(mayor or whatever) and explore that, and so on. I'm not just going to pop them to an encounter and remove player choice from them.

@Manbearcat I am really not talking about other unorthodoxy, merely the setting information aspect. And yes, I get that everyone thinks that others can play anyway they like, but I'm talking about people saying that the GM providing such details as cultural customs of the setting is divergent play. And I would really like to hear genuine views on how people see running Story Now in an established setting.

Aldarc

Legend
Often I want to play and run games where secret backstory (that is meaningfully knowable) has a strong impact on play. In those cases I reach for games like Exalted Third Edition, Pathfinder Second Edition, Legend of the Five Rings Fifth Edition, Worlds Without Number or Vampire - The Requiem. When I reach for games like Apocalypse World, Burning Wheel, Blades in the Dark, The Veil, or Masks it's generally because I want the sort of experience they are designed to provide. Just like when I reach for a more traditional game I am doing so for what it uniquely provides. You can swim against the tide, but I'm not sure why you would want to.
Shall I get David Attenbourgh to explain it for you?

hawkeyefan

Legend
Ok. Question: It becomes relevant to know how the laws governing inheritance of noble titles work in a country the characters happen to be in. How is this information provided? Does it matter if this is a historical game set in the real world? A game set in a published world that has plenty of source material? In a world created by the GM?

Does it matter why the question becomes pertinent? What if player declares an action that relies on assumption of the situation that might not be shared by others at the table? Does it matter if there in theory would exist a 'correct' answer to the question? (I.e. the information is available on wikipedia/setting book/setting creator's head etc.)

It’s hard to imagine this actually being something that’s established in much detail for a setting, beyond some broad elements like “titles are hereditary” or the like. So in the absence of those specifics, most likely the group would talk it out.

Like if something like this came up in my game of Blades (and it has) we discuss the possibilities. I had a player whose PC was the equivalent of a disbarred lawyer, and one of his goals was to be reinstated. So we had to come up with all kinds of legal elements that aren’t typical in most games of Blades.

Can it? That's really the pertinent question. Because some people seem to imply that it very much can't. This tangent was inspired by @EzekielRaiden as GM telling the players what colour of clothes were customary in funerals in a certain country, and some posters taking exception to them doing that. (Or at least that is my recollection of the discussion.)

Yes, it can be done. Not unilaterally, though.

I don’t recall the specific example of funerary clothes or what have you….I admit to having largely skipped much of that part of the discussion. But the relevant question is “why should this be a detail determined solely by the GM?”

There has to be a satisfactory answer to that question, I’d say. It’s hard for me to imagine how the color of clothes can matter so much, so why not let the players decide that detail? Why do I feel the need to maintain that control as GM?

But is that an option, or is it how it must be done?

It depends. If the action runs counter to details already established, then you’d explain that and offer the player a chance to approach another way. If it didn’t contradict anything that’s been established, then letting it stand is certainly something that should be considered. You’d have to have a compelling reason to not allow something like this, and by compelljng I mean something beyond “because I already had an idea in my head” or”because the GM typically decodes this kind of stuff”.

So in my game with the lawyer character, the player came up with ideas for loopholes and ancient laws that somehow still existed and could be exploited and so on…just all kinds of stuff that is thematically appropriate for the bureaucracy that is Doskvol. Why would I shoot that stuff down? If the player came up with some BS like “oh here’s a law that goves me exactly what I want with no challenge or effort” then sure, you wouldn’t just allow that as GM. But such a player is kind of going against the principles of play. But if they create a narrative that fits the setting and makes sense and doesn’t contradict anything, which gives the character an avenue to pursue their goal…why not go with it?

Such avenues need not come from the GM alone.

No. Exactly the opposite. I am not telling anyone how to do things. They were telling @EzekielRaiden how to do things, and I was merely pointing about that at least in this regard their approach seemed to be pretty valid. This is not in any way to suggest that doing it in some other way wouldn't be valid as well.

Going solely off your comments, that’s how it sounds.

Here’s something I think may be relevant to the discussion. People have been talking about styles of play. But that’s really something that pertains to D&D and similar games. Where you may have multiple valid approaches to play per the rules as written. One GM rolls all rolls behind a screen and never shares DCs with players and doesn’t use random encounter checks and charts, another rolls in the open and declares all DCs and relies on random encounter checks. Neither one of them is violating anything in the PHB or DMG for 5e.

This isn’t always true of other games. A lot of Story Now games have very specific processes that are meant to be followed. And while of course you can deviate from those processes, once you do, you are no longer playing as directed by the rules.

So I think this fact has also muddied things a bit in the discussion, because people are assuming much more latitude in how to effectively run and play a game than may actually be expected by the book.
I think there’s a difference between saying “you must do it this way” and saying “this is the way it’s been designed, so if you do it differently, you should recognize what that will mean”.

Last edited:

@Manbearcat I am really not talking about other unorthodoxy, merely the setting information aspect. And yes, I get that everyone thinks that others can play anyway they like, but I'm talking about people saying that the GM providing such details as cultural customs of the setting is divergent play. And I would really like to hear genuine views on how people see running Story Now in an established setting.

This intersects with my post upthread where I answered the question:

Is it impossible to not railroad in a backstory-first (meaning established setting) game?

I don't know if you read that. Here is my post on that:

Forgot to respond to this but I was just talking to folks and I answered it during that verbal conversation so I wanted to write what I said:

Unrevealed backstory can work as an input to action resolution and not be Force...IF

...the GM has skillfully done the work to telegraph the unrevealed backstory to the players sufficient to (a) pique their curiosity to poke and prod further at the situation or (b) draw a successful inference (in both cases correctly uncovering the backstory through skillful play for deployment downstream in future action declarations; eg, we have to get leverage x on NPC y or we can't parley with them...or if we want to avoid dragon x than route the journey through topography y rather than z).

Does this sound familiar? Like a soft move? It should.

The problem with this is three-fold:

1) Historically, D&D rulesets have been absolutely AWFUL at telling GMs how and why to do this (except in the case of building out dungeons and in managing the dungeoneering).

2) There is a strong segment of D&D culture that feels that there is such a fine line between soft moves (deft telegraphing) and soft-balling (clumsily giving them the answer) that they reflexively err well on the side of banal situation framing (claiming neutrality) to avoid soft-balling; so their soft moves are so soft that they're effectively disqualifying. And THEN...

3) ...Those same GMs will reflexively blame the players for crappy, unskillful play rather than reflecting on their own disqualifying framing because its paper thin and softer than Charmin. Then those same GMs will complain about their players to other GMs and those other GMs will reflexively "YEAH PLAYER'S SUCK I'LL DRINK TO THAT <FROTHY MUGS OF ALE CLASH>" rather than asking about the play and helping the GM reflect on their own framing.

So yes, unrevealed backstory can absolutely be an input into action resolution...IF the GM's soft moves (situation framing) have clearly sufficiently telegraphed the threat to provoke the players to poke/prod to learn more or so that they can draw the inference NOW for later downstream deployment.

But terribly crap advice on the how and the why > Poor GMing > Lack of reflection and humility > Cultural positive feedback loop to reflexively blame players for clumsy GMing.

So these questions (the one @prabe posed and the one you're posing above) are related and my answer intersects with both of them.

I will say the following:

* Story Now games don't have to be run No Myth but No Myth absolutely helps them.

Why?

* Because unrevealed (not established through play, but exists as an item of preplay prep) backstory as an input (especially THE input) to action resolution (and therefore a driver of play) is fundamentally not_Story_Now.

So, simply put, play becomes enormously sensitive to unrevealed/unestablished backstory. A GM (and a table at large) will have to be ENORMOUSLY deft at signaling/citing areas of exploration to uncover this backstory. If its just offloaded onto "well you either explore and reveal it or you don't and that is that" (rather than careful signaling/citing the uncovering of backstory - and this is particularly possible if the procedures of play make revealing established backstory an inescapable focal point - so players can use that to perturb their downstream action declarations)...but you get no help neither procedurally nor principally (eg neither system archetecture nor ethos has a say)...that is basically kryptonite for Story Now play.

This is a very, very rough way of looking at it (it doesn't remotely hold 1:1 but the analogy hopefully has some use)

Look at Story Before play as a game of Pictionary. You've got a card with a prescribed thing and the GM is drawing a picture and the players are trying to decode the GM's drawings to get at the prescribed thing.

Look at Story Now like a game of Telephone. What emerges at the end of the train of folks isn't prescriptively bound by the thing that was communicated by the first mouth to the first ear. The end of the train isn't about decoding that first exchange. Its about the process of creation and finding out what utterance that last mouth produces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads