D&D General Railroads, Illusionism, and Participationism

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Scott Christian , take a look at what I wrote about the watching of a proficiently run/played Blades game and contrast that with your expectations of a proficiently run/played 5e AP game. Then look at @niklinna ‘s actual appraisal of watching said Blades game. Do you think that description (mine) and his appraisal matches how you would depict a normative, proficiently run/played 5e AP game.
I do not. I think Blades looks and feels different when watching than D&D of any edition. (I watched this episode Blades in the Dark

This is my point. If your premise is to improve yourself as a DM or GM, you can analyze all you want. If you bring in other games (which I said was good), then there is something to be learned. Eventually, you have to compare apples to apples though. This 5e game to that 5e game. Then you contrast, and find the areas you can improve.

If your premise is to create a philosophy, where you differentiate between playstyles, then you need a neutral tone, author and arbiter. This thread was not the case. It attached clearly negative words to a playstyle. It also presented vocabulary that was not needed.

You can analyze something and explain it simplistically. You can compare and contrast things to gleam insight into what to change or keep or expand at your table. You cannot promote a philosophy that sits on 1" ice at the end of March.

Last edited:

I do not. I think Blades looks and feels different when watching than D&D of any edition. (I watched this episode Blades in the Dark

This is my point. If your premise is to improve yourself as a DM or GM, you can analyze all you want. If you bring in other games (which I said was good), then there is something to learned. Eventually, you have to compare apples to apples though. This 5e game to that 5e game. Then you contrast, and find the areas you can improve.

If your premise is to create a philosophy, where you differentiate between playstyles, then you need a neutral tone, author and arbiter. This thread was not the case. It attached clearly negative words to a playstyle. It also presented vocabulary that is not needed.

You can analyze something and explain it simplistically. You can compare and contrast things to gleam insight into what to change or keep or expand at your table. You cannot promote a philosophy that sits on 1" ice at the end of March.

Unless you’re fighting or perpetuating a culture war (there you’re worried about emotional reception of technical language used to delineate thing x from thing y), what you need when it comes to design priorities and play priorities (so you can pick the games you want to play to do the thing vs this other thing) is explanatory power and predictive capacity (if I build for x will it reliably produce y).

You agree that different games are different in the playing and in the beholding. This doesn’t occur as a result of pixie dust and ruby red slipper clicking.

Theyre different as a matter of design, of agenda, if GMing principles, of player best practices, of play premise, and of system architecture and play structure and reward cycles that are informed by all of it.

And that all of it is informed by deconstructing all the various aspects of TTRPG design and play (constituent parts and the integrated whole) which propel a play experience and delineate this from that.

And whether you feel like you’ve gotten no mileage from technical language, designers CLEARLY have (including 5e designers) and there is a whole host of players who are CLEARLY glad those designers did (so they can give such diverse designs as we have today and so we can distinguish this one from that one so we know which ones we want to play and which we want to eschew).

I’m sorry you (and others) are having trouble with a (IME non-controversial and straightforward) concept like Force (whereby a GM subverts a player’s tactical, strategic, or thematic input, or the system’s say, and in its stead inserts the GM’s own input) but (a) it’s absolutely a thing and a whole host of design and play pivots upon its deployment or eschewing and (b) to the end of deploying it or eschewing it there are certain aspects of design (GM-facing and/or opaque vs table-facing and transparent/encoded) and principles (GM as lead storyteller and rules/outcomes that don’t serve the GM’s concept of story/fun should be disregarded vs follow the rules and don’t play “the story” because there isn’t one…play to find out what happens) that will invest play with Force by making it “a feature” or remove Force from play because it is “a bug” for the play agenda the design is working toward.

Last edited:

(Apologies if this is off-topic as I'm only skimmed the past 30 or so pages of this thread)

The person who makes the Runehammer youtube channel has been doing recaps of their Old School Essentials game every week for a while now and also put out a pdf of his OSE house rules. I can't find the house rules pdf now, but he did make it publicly available, so I thought I would copy and paste a potentially relevant part below. His basic "prep" process is very minimal (one page of handwritten notes) and the rest is improvised via basically coin flips. It's basically procedural dungeon/wilderness creation but without a lot of tables. But it's also not dependent on characters' skills or larger dramatic needs; indeed the purpose to build a world that is neutral to those needs. That being said, from what I gather from his play reports, the players are heavily invested in their characters (thus not "pawn stance").
Yes, it sounds pretty classic, though there's the danger of introducing bias in terms of what you flip for and when, some judgment is needed there undoubtedly. I'm well aware of the concept of classic play. When I was 13, in 1976, I bought a copy of the brand new Holme's Basic D&D box that came out. Mine was one which came with 'dungeon geomorphs' and a 'monster and treasure assortment' (basically monster and treasure tables). Other people got B2, or maybe it was B1, in their boxes instead. I got the (in)famous 'wax dice too, and the d20 was useless and lopsided, but luckily I already had some dice from playing D&D with my buds, lol. Anyway...

So, when we played this game I simply arranged the geomorphs, added some hand drawn sections, and a map of a 'castle' and some caves to serve as a vestibule essentially, and rolled a whole bunch of times on the monster and treasure assortment, and threw out most of the results, and added my own fun stuff. So, pretty soon there was a one-handed dwarf named Gilladian, and a mule that was smarter than the dwarf (int 4 for mules, go look it up) and Triborb the elf (soon becoming Triborb VII as the first six died). Eventually there was Thayson the bard (I guess after we incorporated AD&D PHB1 classes into our game, long before the DMG came out), and Grog the Half-Orc (also stupider than the mule, now known as 'Mule Go Bang!' for reasons best left to be forgotten).

The point being, I'm fully cognizant of Gygaxian play in its full and complete glory, in every detail, and have probably logged more hours of both playing and GMing it than the vast majority of people here, lol. Its a very coherent sort of game, within its limits. Those limits are why we moved on to other forms. When the story became open-ended, when it stopped being a 'crawl' through a finite environment, then "map and key" methodologies (or random generation in Runehammer's case) become insufficiently satisfying.

Put it this way, I introduced several 'dungeons' in my 4e game at different points. With one exception they were just small affairs where the PCs decided to go investigate a specific locale based on whatever it was they were wanting to do. So I built a couple small map and key locations. It worked OK, and it was amusing to see people scrambling to enact procedures that they hadn't probably thought about in 20 years. I also made a larger 'nostalgia dungeon' that was amusing, but that was more open-ended in practice. My point is, its a very valid technique, used sparingly. Dungeon World for instance says "make maps, leave holes" and those maps can most certainly follow a map and key pattern within limited bounds too. The bounds could even be fairly extensive if the players drive things that way, though in DW, or 4e either, there is always a high probability that things will 'bust loose' and the map and key will start to be too restrictive.

Unless you’re fighting or perpetuating a culture war (there you’re worried about emotional reception of technical language used to delineate thing x from thing y), what you need when it comes to design priorities and play priorities (so you can pick the games you want to play to do the thing vs this other thing) is explanatory power and predictive capacity (if I build for x will it reliably produce y).
I agree.
You agree that different games are different in the playing and in the beholding. This doesn’t occur as a result of pixie dust and ruby red slipper clicking.
Games will play and look different based on the mechanics and playstyles. I agree. I never stated otherwise. Not even a little. Not even in the slightest. None at all. In fact, I said this exact thing.
Theyre different as a matter of design, of agenda, if GMing principles, of player best practices, of play premise, and of system architecture and play structure and reward cycles that are informed by all of it.
Correct. Again, I agree and have said as such.
And whether you feel like you’ve gotten no mileage from technical language, designers CLEARLY have (including 5e designers) and there is a whole host of players who are CLEARLY glad those designers did (so they can give such diverse designs as we have today and so we can distinguish this one from that one so we know which ones we want to play and which we want to eschew).
Designers design. That is what they do. Is someone designing a new game on this thread? If so, we can have a different conversation. A conversation that will be helped greatly when one can speak about a design clearly and succinctly. The opposite of trying to explain something for over a hundred pages.
I’m sorry you (and others) are having trouble with a (IME non-controversial and straightforward) concept like Force (whereby a GM subverts a player’s tactical, strategic, or thematic input, or the system’s say, and in its stead inserts the GM’s own input) but (a) it’s absolutely a thing and a whole host of design and play pivots upon its deployment or eschewing and (b) to the end of deploying it or eschewing it there are certain aspects of design (GM-facing and/or opaque vs table-facing and transparent/encoded) and principles (GM as lead storyteller and rules/outcomes that don’t serve the GM’s concept of story/fun should be disregarded vs follow the rules and don’t play “the story” because there isn’t one…play to find out what happens) that will invest play with Force by making it “a feature” or remove Force from play because it is “a bug” for the play agenda the design is working toward.
The bold is a made-up argument. Look at your definition. First, you use the term subvert, a negative word. Second, you call it "force," which again has an air of making the DM sound pompous. Third, your own definition means: anytime a DM uses a houserule or their judgement instead of the PHB or DM's Guide they are using force. Anytime a DM holds to their world's structure, as opposed to the player's, they are using force. Anytime a DM authors a different outcome to a player's strategy they are using force.

So show me a 5e game where this doesn't happen every now and then. As I said earlier, it is a matter of degrees. And guess what, there are already terms for these degrees. They exist already. And they are not negative, like yours. Hence, why I ask for video.

You delineate between east and west, but refuse to see the ocean in the middle. You build your terms based on one hemisphere and refuse to accept that the hemispheres are connected. Most of what has been promoted is propaganda for one side, not design philosophy.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Force is generally used to refer to a particular approach by the GM to authorship: fudging/manipulating the mechanics to achieve a particular outcome; manipulating the backstory to achieve a particular outcome (eg a NPC ally suddenly turns up to take the blow intended for the BBEG); manipulating the backstory to allow the framing of a pre-planned/desired scene without regard to the outcomes of prior scenes (eg inventing a lieutenant to replace a killed BBEG; relocating missed clues to make sure the PCs and thus the players find them); and - maybe a bit more controversially as Force in the literal sense but definitely Force-adjacent - using social cues/pressure to get the players to exercise their authority over action declarations in such a way as to ensure they declare the actions the GM wants them to (eg to ensure that they don't declare actions that would expose the "big reveal" too early, or to make sure that they declare actions that will take their PCs to the "right" locations).
Okay. So...people have made it clear that they see what I do as obvious Force (IIRC "sniffing it out" nearly instantly) but...I don't do any of these. I never fudge rolls. I never contrive backstory this way, holding myself to extremely high standards about backstory growth. I certainly wouldn't replace BBEG-Prime with BBEG-Lieutenant (they haven't killed/defeated/turned/etc. any yet so I can't formally say I don't do it.) If a clue is missed, it's just missed; maybe if the fiction happens to lead back to the clue then they get a second shot, but I would never contrive to ensure the clue is found no matter what. The only one that's hard is that last one, because it's possible I do it not intending to, being all implication and soft-touch stuff. I certainly wouldn't do it intentionally.

I think this is an area where some care is needed.

For me, nothing makes me feel more alienated from the setting - and hence conscious of its "artificiality" - than needing the GM to tell me the fundamentals of what my character knows and feels and experiences. If my PC is somewhere new, then it makes sense that the GM provides me with new knowledge. But if my PC is engaging with something that they know, that is familiar to them, then the player experience being in contradiction to that doesn't work at all.

This is where, in my view, fictional positioning - understood in a fairly expansive fashion - is crucial. And it is fictional positioning that tends to be ignored in "artificial" examples of Spout Lore or wises. At least, that is how conjectured examples like Wise-ing up or Spouting Lore about various power ups, treasures etc that are not connected to the established setting and the PC's place in it seem to me.
This is curious. If it's not possible to tell you "your character would already know this," that seems to cut off an enormous amount of interesting stories that depend on, for example, having a cultural background in the setting. It's not really possible to establish absolutely every cultural value a character might pick up over time, nor is it (IMO) very interesting to have every single stricture and ritual of a particular religion narrated out to the party the instant they show up. But if (for example) you have a dominant religion in an area (as is the case in almost all D&D-type games), the player characters as a general rule should know that (say) white is worn to funerals in this land, or that a censer emitting blue smoke is a traditional sign that someone in the house just got married (a superstition about warding off evil spirits or whatever).

Do those things count as alienating you from the setting if you must be told that your character would already know it? If so, I'm confused how you manage to have characters that adventure in locations where their cultural background is relevant without either (a) just letting the player write that culture all by themselves, which falls into many of the issues I had had with my mistaken understanding of the dwarf forge (that is, unmoored from any fictional tethers and invented by the player for the players' benefit); or (b) literally hashing it all out collaboratively with the DM super far in advance so that you do already know basically everything relevant about your character's cultural history and awareness.

Just to clarify (and, I hope, not belabor the point) re the setting where this particular Spout Lore-ing was done (some of which has been mentioned, some of which I don't think has been):
Having been presented like this (rather than the original framing which did somewhat confuse me), this sounds perfectly cromulent to me. You had a foundation for there to be hidden things, you had resources you could employ (the books) to reveal information, it was the DM creating a neat opportunity at your prompting rather than you giving yourself an opportunity, etc. Sounds rather similar to stuff I've done, afraid I don't remember any specific examples off the top of my head (we had a low-Int party for quite a while so Spout Lore was relatively rare for about the past year and a half, though that is changing).

A missed Spout Lore roll is not just that there is no information, there are also consequences to it. All missed rolls in PbtA games worsen the position of the characters by triggering a GM move.
I am well aware of the function of the Spout Lore roll, having run a Dungeon World game (augmented with the excellent Grim World third party book, though...without the grimness) for something like three and a half years. Probably three years of weekly sessions if you cut out all the breaks we've had for various reasons.

Not quite. The Spout Lore mechanics the player used require the DM to describe a positive result, exactly in the Luck example. In this thread they have been calling that player authorship, since it's the player's success on their Move that required this, and the player's focus (What do I know about dwarven forges in these mountains / food, warmth, shelter in the tundra) that directs the subject.
I find it different from the Luck example for three reasons:
1) With the Luck roll, it instantly fixes (or both fails to fix and specifically worsens) a problem. Spout Lore provides information. That information may be merely interesting or actively useful, but information alone is usually not enough to fix problems--one must also act, which will either push the fiction forward directly, or invoke a mechanic that will determine how the fiction progresses. (Fail forward, obviously, ensures that things advance in SOME way either way, with results being beneficial, detrimental, or mixed.)
2) Luck is something of a supernatural thing, some sort of numious successful-ness, which doesn't correspond to Spout Lore being rooted in past experiences and knowledge of the character. While this difference does lie in the fiction, it has strong implications for how the luck roll vs Spout Lore will play out (especially since, as noted, the luck roll gets consumed by usage, which is not true of Spout Lore in general.)
3) It's unclear whether it is the player who comes up with the lucky break or the DM, whereas it is clear in Spout Lore that it is the DM who gives the answer, they just do so at player request via invoking a mechanic.

This always comes back to the other principles and agenda in DW. The GM is a fan of the players, we're playing to see what happens, you ask questions, make moves, etc. So, the GM isn't really all that free. The player DID, with SL, determine the general topic of the revealed material, and their need/intent are driving things. The point is, it isn't players or GM in the driver's seat, the game is playing, its engine is running, and both players and GM are adding grist to the mill!
So...that's pretty much exactly what I go for. Which is why I get so confused when I describe things that sound, to my ears, exactly like this, and am then told that obviously I'm just leading my players around by the nose and either using sleight-of-hand or guilt-tripping to make them behave exactly how I want them to behave.

It's also incredibly confusing to call it "player authorship" when the DM is still the author, they're just authoring "on commission" as it were, prompted by player actions (which may or may not be rolls--"golden opportunities" often come from unwise player choices, for example, and "exploit your prep" requires that you have something you prepped in the first place.) I also don't see, at all, how this is incompatible with (for example) drawing a loose overall map of a location, such as the map I just drew of the lost city of Al-Shafadir for the session we just had on Monday, with labels on it for a general, loose idea of the neighborhoods visible to the PCs. (It's inside a volcanic caldera and they entered near the rim, so they got a good high-level look at some of the nearby neighborhoods.)

The players entered in an area serving as a market square--no traps there because it would be too much of a hassle to remove them if the city's former rulers wanted to return. But then they got a miss on Spout Lore, so they got to ask one question, knowing they wouldn't care for the results. Turns out this front square wasn't for keeping agricultural goods...it was for keeping slaves, hence there would be little treasure and painting the former residents of this city in a much darker light than anticipated. (It's known that genies kept slaves in the ancient past; this city apparently made it their stock and trade, which is somewhat worse.) Various opportunities to explore and learn presented themselves, and the party had to choose at one point between following some bizarre scorched footprints on the stone streets, or checking out some clear evidence of looters that had gotten to the city before them. They chose to follow the latter--but that means a golden opportunity to do something with the looters that I will exploit later. I had, of course, prepared for the possibility that there could be looters, which a partial-success roll proved was true, and had thought in advance about what kinds of denizens would be present in this city.

From a Doylist perspective, I prepared stuff for this adventure in order to meet OOC player requests. The Bard player was a bit worn out from being the center of attention for a long time, and privately asked for something lighter and fluffier where he could just relax. Another player had also requested more opportunities for combat, and we were going to need to re-introduce our Druid player who had been out of the game for about a year. I drafted up something that seemed a suitably engaging but light adventure (check out a recently-rediscovered lost city) that I knew would be of interest to at least two of the three current players both as players and as characters, and which would fit well with the Druid's unfolding story. It's something of a callback to the very first adventure they went on, way back in 2019.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
At the end of the day is it a legitimate desire to want to play, design or run games where GM Storytelling is not a thing? We all agree that wanting those things is fine. Designing to them is more than fine. Can those of us who aren't about that life exist in this space?

This isn't a hemisphere. It's a single dimension we should be allowed to express preferences around and talk about designing around. I thought the way this thread started was remarkably positive. It treated GM Storytelling as a valid play. Not the only valid way to play. However, as this thread has gone on it feels like the rest of us are expected to justify our preferences while people in the mainstream are not.

Last edited:

Thomas Shey

Legend
At the end of the day is it a legitimate desire to want to play, design or run games where GM Storytelling is not a thing? We all agree that wanting those things is fine. Designing to them is more than fine. Can those of us who aren't about that life exist in this space?

I can't see a good argument to say it shouldn't be. I've played in an environment with some parallels (MUSHing of a particular sort) and it has its virtues (though I think the lack of a central core to its events has its downsides, too). Its hard to see quite how parallel it is to what you're talking about because it lacked almost any mechanical support, but it would be very odd to say it was inappropriate or not an RPG (though I've absolutely seen people who'd make that claim, but then I talk them with the same attitude I do people who claim its not an RPG if character creation and play is constrained on any level beyond what the game system does).

This isn't a hemisphere. It's a single dimension we should be allowed to express preferences around and talk about designing around. I thought the way this thread started was remarkably positive. It treated GM Storytelling as a valid play. Not the only valid way to play. However, as this thread has gone on it feels like the rest of us are expected to justify our preferences while people in the mainstream are not.

That's at least not what I've been trying to do, but pick apart why some of the techniques needed to make it work don't work for some people on levels that don't have to do with who has authority, per se (though in practice it limits that).

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I agree.

Games will play and look different based on the mechanics and playstyles. I agree. I never stated otherwise. Not even a little. Not even in the slightest. None at all. In fact, I said this exact thing.

Correct. Again, I agree and have said as such.

Designers design. That is what they do. Is someone designing a new game on this thread? If so, we can have a different conversation. A conversation that will be helped greatly when one can speak about a design clearly and succinctly. The opposite of trying to explain something for over a hundred pages.

The bold is a made-up argument. Look at your definition. First, you use the term subvert, a negative word.
This seems to be exactly what he's saying in the bolded argument. I mean, he says this, and then you make the exact complaint he's talking about while saying he wrong. It's odd. Essentially, you're not arguing what's described by Force happens, or that it's not a useful concept to consider, you're complaining it doesn't have a suitably soft-sounding and supportive name. This is exactly what @Manbearcat is talking about in the bolded bits.
Second, you call it "force," which again has an air of making the DM sound pompous.
If I force you to do something, 'pompous' is not the word I would use to describe this. Can you use Force in a pompous way? Sure. But I can also use it in a way to make for better play, depending on the goals of play. If your action would accidentally short-circuit the entire evening's planned story, or would have a result no one actually wants but it isn't obvious it would do you from your side of the screen, then Force isn't at all pompous -- it's a vital tool.

It's called Force though because that's what's happening -- the GM is using their position of override play for a specific outcome. They are forcing an outcome through. It's an apt description. I use Force in my 5e games all the time. I used Force last Sunday in my Alien RPG game. It's a tool, and I don't see how finding a term for what's happening in play
Third, your own definition means: anytime a DM uses a houserule or their judgement instead of the PHB or DM's Guide they are using force.
No, if you think so, then you haven't been paying attention at all. Houserules aren't Force (unless they're secret and surprise deployed, maybe), and neither is judgement. Force happens when the GM disregards player input, action declarations, or the system's say to implement a preferred outcome. There are two legs to this test, and both must be true. Judgement -- ie, filling in gaps in rules -- isn't Force unless you're disregarding player input or action declarations. It is Force if the GM judgement is to ignore the system's say on a thing to pick the outcome. And, this is a perfect place to point out that this is actually often a place where Force can be used for great effect and is a good tool to you, especially if the system's say is creating an incoherent result.
Anytime a DM holds to their world's structure, as opposed to the player's, they are using force.
Again, no.
Anytime a DM authors a different outcome to a player's strategy they are using force.
Again, no.
So show me a 5e game where this doesn't happen every now and then. As I said earlier, it is a matter of degrees. And guess what, there are already terms for these degrees. They exist already. And they are not negative, like yours. Hence, why I ask for video.
It's very hard to find a 5e game that doesn't use Force, even discounting your statements above. This is because the system almost encodes it and because the primary approach to play is Trad oriented, which also encodes Force. This isn't a bad thing at all, though. 5e games that do not use Force are going to be those that run more like B/X dungeoncrawls -- in the Classic style of play of map and key.
You delineate between east and west, but refuse to see the ocean in the middle. You build your terms based on one hemisphere and refuse to accept that the hemispheres are connected. Most of what has been promoted is propaganda for one side, not design philosophy.
This isn't so at all. Force is actually one of those things where you can look at a situation and see if it's there or not. It relies on some clear tests. It's a useful heuristic for evaluating play for certain play objectives. And I can tell this because some games have been designed with a strong desire to eliminate Force from play. As in, a stated objective in design. And they do so.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
If the issue critics of GM Force had was the use of GM authority more broadly the games they have designed to address it would make no damn sense. Like not one bit. Apocalypse World, Burning Wheel, Sorcerer, Dogs in the Vineyard, Blades in the Dark, Monsterhearts, Masks, et al. All games with broad and expansive GM authority often over areas that are usually untouched in most traditional games. Aggressive scene framing, complications that change the state of play, and often inner emotional life of player characters are all handed to the GM to do as they will as long as it is done according to the principles of play.

I just don't know how people are getting from here to there on this one. Everyone here who has made use of GM Force plays and runs in games with a strong GM role. The people who originated the term created games with an extraordinarily strong GM role. John Harper (who designed Blades in the Dark) is constantly calling out the importance of GM judgement. Almost every indie designer I have ever encountered has a soft spot for OSR play.

I just do not get where this conflation is coming from.

This isn't so at all. Force is actually one of those things where you can look at a situation and see if it's there or not. It relies on some clear tests. It's a useful heuristic for evaluating play for certain play objectives. And I can tell this because some games have been designed with a strong desire to eliminate Force from play. As in, a stated objective in design. And they do so.
This is why we have 90 pages explaining force?

Here is litmus test for you:

A critical hit is when you roll a 20 on a d20. When you do this, your weapon automatically does maximum damage.

See how clear that is. Here is another:

The DM is going to run an adventure path. We will playing an adventure path. This means we will follow the story in the book.

The DM is going to run a sandbox campaign. Us, the players, will get to decide where to go and what to do. The world is open for us to explore.

The DM is going to run a dungeon crawl. Basically, we're going to go into a dungeon and explore it. There may or may not be a story.

See how clear that is. Of course, the pedant is going to try and argue the ambiguity of these terms. But there is no response to them. Because deep down, everyone understands and gets what these things mean. To muck it up is arguing for argument's sake.

Anyone trying to legitimize the term force, and then saying, but almost all 5e games do this, is doing nothing to improve their DM skills. They are trying to explain a cloud shape that changes based on when and where one is looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads