D&D 5E Ranger on a Warlock frame?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Wow! Those are great!

question: Vincegetorix 2d6 HP is that each level? If it is do you think that is too good?
Yes it is, because I'm a MAD MAN!

My idea is that rangers are the most healthy of all class. They have less functional hp than barbarian (because of their rage giving them almost double health), less armor armor than paladin or fighter, but make it up by being tough sons of...you know the rest.

I went through 4E material extensively looking for inspiration for my own ranger rewrite, and was frustrated at how little there was to mine from it. 4E utility powers are really... specific.

Did you have a look at the scout and hunter? The 4e PHB ranger was possibly the blandest class in the game - but for flavour the two Essentials rangers were much more interesting.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
the RANGER (basic)

Part 2
the Ranger (advanced)

Levelfeaturespell knownslot levelspell slotsknacks
11Archetype11535
12ASI11536
13-12536
14Vanish, Favored foe (4)12536
15Archetype13537
16ASI13537
17-14547
18Feral Senses, Warden aura improvement14548
19ASI15548
20Foe Slayer15548

Vanish: Can hide as a bonus action while lightly obscured. Can be tracked by non magical means and are under the effect of a permanent nondetection spell.

Last edited:

NotAYakk

Legend
Why is it a good idea to make a ranger into a full (pact magic) caster, but only for first 10 levels?

Seems like a horrible idea to me. Just make it progress at half rate on the warlock spell table. And balance with class festures.

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I thought about it and...

Nah, it wouldn't work. The Ranger wouldn't work on a warlock frame because you'd be changing a lot for little gain. The real problem with the ranger is the lack of spells as D&D's base assumption is a medium level magic high fantasy game. Mastering the wild in D&D requires spells if you don't codify the skill system.

So really its just a lot of changes to change Favored Enemy and Natural Explorer. And a lot of Favored Enemy and Natural Explorer is, could be, or used to be spells. Food conjuration, divination and detection, camouflage and stealth spells. alertness and perception spells. so a lot of invocations and knacksthat replace these 2 features would just be grantig spells or writing paragraphs that look like spells.

So it sounds like a lot of extra steps to not create ranger spells and to make rangers real casters.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
I thought about it and...

Nah, it wouldn't work. The Ranger wouldn't work on a warlock frame because you'd be changing a lot for little gain. The real problem with the ranger is the lack of spells as D&D's base assumption is a medium level magic high fantasy game. Mastering the wild in D&D requires spells if you don't codify the skill system.

So really its just a lot of changes to change Favored Enemy and Natural Explorer. And a lot of Favored Enemy and Natural Explorer is, could be, or used to be spells. Food conjuration, divination and detection, camouflage and stealth spells. alertness and perception spells. so a lot of invocations and knacksthat replace these 2 features would just be grantig spells or writing paragraphs that look like spells.

So it sounds like a lot of extra steps to not create ranger spells and to make rangers real casters.
I disagree. It’s not the spells that rangers need. The ranger class needs class abilities that bring wilderness to the fore. The ranger abilities in the PHB are often referred to as ribbons. They are merely a petina of “bushcraft”. They solve problems that are so easy to ignore (in game) that they might as well not exist. Wilderness travel IME is hand-waived away almost as quickly as encumbrance. Also spells that other casters have serve to devalue the abilities that do exist.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I disagree. It’s not the spells that rangers need. The ranger class needs class abilities that bring wilderness to the fore. The ranger abilities in the PHB are often referred to as ribbons. They are merely a petina of “bushcraft”. They solve problems that are so easy to ignore (in game) that they might as well not exist. Wilderness travel IME is hand-waived away almost as quickly as encumbrance. Also spells that other casters have serve to devalue the abilities that do exist.

That's spells, buddy.

Wilderness only comes to the forrefront with Tech or Magic.

Magic weather is beaten with magic
Magic hazards is beaten with magic
Magic diseases and poisons are beaten with magic
Magic environment is beaten with magic
Magic beasts are beaten with magic (weapons)
Magic plants are beaten with magic
Magic woodland citizens are beaten with magic

So you only have 3 options
  • Give rangers more wilderness spells
  • Give rangers wilderness class features that are basically spells
  • Remove the powerful magic from the game
You can't have a game called Dungeon and Dragons where the wilderness expert and monster hunter is weak in a dungeon and can't counter a dragon living in the wilderness.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
That's spells, buddy.

Wilderness only comes to the forrefront with Tech or Magic.

Magic weather is beaten with magic
Magic hazards is beaten with magic
Magic diseases and poisons are beaten with magic
Magic environment is beaten with magic
Magic beasts are beaten with magic (weapons)
Magic plants are beaten with magic
Magic woodland citizens are beaten with magic

So you only have 3 options
  • Give rangers more wilderness spells
  • Give rangers wilderness class features that are basically spells
  • Remove the powerful magic from the game
You can't have a game called Dungeon and Dragons where the wilderness expert and monster hunter is weak in a dungeon and can't counter a dragon living in the wilderness.
Woodland citizens lol

Remove ads