• Average ***

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Not Great **

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Terrible *

Votes: 1 1.8%

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You have to be kidding. It's got completely unplaytested and sketchy as anything rules, and the art is a car-crash combination of random old pieces and mediocre to bad new ones. Plus it's largely a reprint of another book!

Not at all, this book is fantastic.

It has been playtested, extensively, so I don't know where you are getting from on that front, since as you point out it is about a quarter a finalized version of the early access public playtest document.

I love the art, old and new, and enjoy the mix. My son got a major kick from flipping through and looking at the pictures on the way home from the store.

Not at all, this book is fantastic.

It has been playtested, extensively, so I don't know where you are getting from on that front, since as you point out it is about a quarter a finalized version of the early access public playtest document.

I love the art, old and new, and enjoy the mix. My son got a major kick from flipping through and looking at the pictures on the way home from the store.

They completely changed the rules on how Greater Dragonmarks work, to something with big balance impacts (much bigger than before), without any widescale test. It's not clear that the change was playtested at all by any group. You certainly cannot, in good faith, assert that it definitely was.

Many other major changes were made with no apparent testing of the changed rules. Some are straightforward enough that that's reasonable - the racial changes, for example.

But the Greater Dragonmark stuff? No.

"My kid liked it!" is lovely but if intended as an argument is a bad faith approach for reasons I hope you can understand.

I think that his "my kid likes it!" remark (as you put it) is aimed at the Artwork. Because such a thing is subjective. So it strikes me as a perfectly reasonable argument against the "I hate it [the art]!" you've thrown out.

It isn't reasonable, given the only possible responses to it beyond ignoring it. It's fine as a comment, but not as an argument. Art is subjective is fine, but that's a different argument entirely, which he also, separately, made.

Colour me extremely sceptical that there is any balance impact whatsoever. They replaced a few weak-sauce feats that no player would ever take with the option of learning a couple of less-than-overwhelming utility spells.

I'm sorry, Paul, but that is such a grotesque and profoundly disingenuous misrepresentation of the situation that I'm not going to engage with you on this beyond pointing that out.

If you want to argue with someone about it, head over to the 5E reddit.

I'm sorry, Paul, but that is such a grotesque and profoundly disingenuous misrepresentation of the situation that I'm not going to engage with you on this beyond pointing that out.
Wut? How so? Are you trying to claim that the Greater Dragonmark feats where not a pile of suck?! In which case, you need to justify YOUR statement. Why would any PC choose one of those feats ahead of GWF or +2 Dex?

You are the one who says it affects balance. How do those weaksauce feats affect balance?

If you think I'm wrong, have the common curtesy of explaining WHY because I can't see it.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They completely changed the rules on how Greater Dragonmarks work, to something with big balance impacts (much bigger than before), without any widescale test. It's not clear that the change was playtested at all by any group. You certainly cannot, in good faith, assert that it definitely was.

Many other major changes were made with no apparent testing of the changed rules. Some are straightforward enough that that's reasonable - the racial changes, for example.

But the Greater Dragonmark stuff? No.

"My kid liked it!" is lovely but if intended as an argument is a bad faith approach for reasons I hope you can understand.

For art, it is a sufficient point.

I have absolute certitude that everything, including all changes, went through the standard internal playtest process. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

Remove ads