Dragonlance Read The Beginning Of Dragonlance: Dragons of Deceit!

The first few pages of August's upcoming Dragonlance novel Dragons of Deceit from creators Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman are available to read over at Polygon. It opens up with Destina Rosethorn, a Solamnic noble, just before the War of the Lance, the central conflict which was portrayed in the original Dragonlance Chronicles back in the 1980s. The novel trilogy features time travel...

The first few pages of August's upcoming Dragonlance novel Dragons of Deceit from creators Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman are available to read over at Polygon. It opens up with Destina Rosethorn, a Solamnic noble, just before the War of the Lance, the central conflict which was portrayed in the original Dragonlance Chronicles back in the 1980s. The novel trilogy features time travel.

Alternatively you can listen to the excerpt below!

The cover, with art by Philipp Urlich, was revealed some months ago; it features Destina, flanked by Tasslehoff Burrfoot and a dwarf called Wolfstone, who comes from Thorbardin. Behind them is Saber, a copper dragon.

The novel trilogy is not connected to the Dragonlance D&D hardcover coming from WotC later this year

9781984819321__1___2_.jpg

Larnievc

Hero
The first few pages of August's upcoming Dragonlance novel Dragons of Deceit from creators Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman are available to read over at Polygon. It opens up with Destina Rosethorn, a Solamnic noble, just before the War of the Lance, the central conflict which was portrayed in the original Dragonlance Chronicles back in the 1980s. The novel trilogy features time travel.

The cover, with art by Philipp Urlich, was revealed some months ago; it features Destina, flanked by Tasslehoff Burrfoot and a dwarf called Wolfstone, who comes from Thorbardin. Behind them is Saber, a copper dragon.

The novel trilogy is not connected to the Dragonlance D&D hardcover coming from WotC later this year

I wonder if they will use time travel to retcon things for the new Dragonlance setting.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Time travel has been a big part of Dragonlance since the second trilogy, Legends.
That's true, and the Legends series is, well, legendary.

But tell me, what longstanding canon bits of the setting were at risk of being retconned/erased at that point?

We live in different times now. And I am leery of what treating a pivotal aspect of the series as a cheap gimmick might bring.

And maybe it isn't a cheap gimmick. But I'm worried bit will be.

I wonder if the plot of this new trilogy can open a door to the possibilities of alternate timelines, for example one where lord Soth avoided the cataclysm, or the age of the mortals didn't started yet, Raistlin is a dark-lord in a apocaliptic future or where the king-priest became the supreme one deity.

Helena Real

Dame of Solamnia (she/her)
But tell me, what longstanding canon bits of the setting were at risk of being retconned/erased at that point?
Not OP, but I think that Weis & Hickman were never happy with the Fifth Age/Age of Mortals as depicted by Rabe and the rest of TSR.

Because of that, I have this feeling that this new trilogy will retcon basically anything past the Legends trilogy, leaving Dragonlance/Krynn in a more “complete“ state as a setting, allowing for more adventures/stories to be told. That's what I hope for, at least.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Not OP, but I think that Weis & Hickman were never happy with the Fifth Age/Age of Mortals as depicted by Rabe and the rest of TSR.

Because of that, I have this feeling that this new trilogy will retcon basically anything past the Legends trilogy, leaving Dragonlance/Krynn in a more “complete“ state as a setting, allowing for more adventures/stories to be told. That's what I hope for, at least.
That would explain their attempt to "fix" it the first time (um . . . spoiler alert, I guess?).

I wouldn't cry too hard about the 5th Age stuff going bye-bye, even though it did have its bright spots here and there.

Helena Real

Dame of Solamnia (she/her)
That would explain their attempt to "fix" it the first time (um . . . spoiler alert, I guess?).

I wouldn't cry too hard about the 5th Age stuff going bye-bye, even though it did have its bright spots here and there.
Yeah. My feeling is thar they weren't even happy with Dragons of a Summer Flame. They wanted to write a new trilogy and TSR said "No", so they wrote a huge novel in which... They pretty much destroyed Dragonlance.

I'll also miss a few things if the Fifth Age goes bye-bye (Dark Knights, Legion of Steel, Mysticism, The Academy), but there are many more that I'd be glad to get rid of canonically, like Dragon Overlords, Afflicted Kender, Imperialistic Knights of Solamnia with gunpowder(?), a goddess that doesn't fit anywhere in the pantheon, a dead goddess, and a god that renounced their godhood, etc.

To be honest, Krynn after the War of Souls/Amber trilogies is in a better state than during the rest of the previous Fifth Age/Age of Mortals, but it's still a little bit lackluster.

The original feeling of epic adventure and fantasy drama is in the War of the Lance (pre-, during, and post-) and, in my opinion, the possibilities of the future yet unknown, with the Gods returned to the world for the first time in 350+ years.

Last edited:

Yeah. My feeling is thar they weren't even happy with Dragons of a Summer Flame. They wanted to write a new trilogy and TSR said "No", so they wrote a huge novel in which... They pretty much destroyed Dragonlance.
They never really accepted that when you create something whilst working under contract to an employer, it belongs to the employer, not to you.

Remove ads

Remove ads