Dragonlance Read The Beginning Of Dragonlance: Dragons of Deceit!

The first few pages of August's upcoming Dragonlance novel Dragons of Deceit from creators Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman are available to read over at Polygon. It opens up with Destina Rosethorn, a Solamnic noble, just before the War of the Lance, the central conflict which was portrayed in the original Dragonlance Chronicles back in the 1980s. The novel trilogy features time travel.

Alternatively you can listen to the excerpt below!

The cover, with art by Philipp Urlich, was revealed some months ago; it features Destina, flanked by Tasslehoff Burrfoot and a dwarf called Wolfstone, who comes from Thorbardin. Behind them is Saber, a copper dragon.

The novel trilogy is not connected to the Dragonlance D&D hardcover coming from WotC later this year

9781984819321__1___2_.jpg

Last edited:

I just comparison read the opening of Twilight because I thought maybe that was true. It's not. This is considerably lower quality.
I'm not seeing it, the prose are just as purple as I remember. Unless you mean purely in terms of SPG*? I might not notice that (being dyslexic), and it's largely down to how good an editor you have.

*Edit: Just realised this is teacher jargon. Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar.

Reynard

Legend
I'm not seeing it, the prose are just as purple as I remember. Unless you mean purely in terms of SPG*? I might not notice that (being dyslexic), and it's largely down to how good an editor you have.

*Edit: Just realised this is teacher jargon. Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar.
Exhibit A:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1653739051695.jpg
    FB_IMG_1653739051695.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 105

Reynard

Legend
One passage is hardly representative of the entire opus. W&H frequently used overwritten, convoluted to the degree of bizarreness, sentences.
All I am saying is that the nearly 40 year old passage is much tighter and better written than the new one, written by the same people.

It's actually not uncommon for writers to get worse as they get older, probably as you suggested because they lean on editors less.

The real question no one is asking about this new series is if all the guards will be wielding hauberks. Drove me crazy a few months ago when I re-read Winter Night.

Helena Real

Dame of Solamnia (she/her)
They never really accepted that when you create something whilst working under contract to an employer, it belongs to the employer, not to you.
Although technically (and legally even) you're right, this is a work of art, love, and passion that W&H feel understandably protective of and, what's more, they feel they know what's best for the setting and fiction overall. And you know what? I think I and many other Dragonlance fans agree with them.

Even with my misgivings about War of Souls/Amber trilogy, they're still much better—and more recognizably Dragonlance—than anything that TSR produced for the Fifth Age/Age of Mortals without them, be it fiction or setting material. Heck! Apart from Dragonlance Adventures (1E)—which was written by Weis & Hickman—the only other gaming material that's ever been produced thst comes close to “deliver“ was what Weis and others produced during 3.x under a license.

So yeah, they may not “own” Dragonlance in a legal sense, but they sure as hell do in a spiritual and even practical one, I'd say.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases