• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Readying vs. Stilled, Silenced Spell

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
A quickened spell can be counterspelled using the normal rules.

I'm puzzled.

Using the normal rules (ie no FR counterspelling feats) the only way to counter a spell is to ready an action : When he goes to cast, I counter.

Thus, the quote you've just cited essentially says "A Quickened Spell can trigger a Readied Action".

And yet you disagree that that Readied Action could be a fighter's attack instead of a mage's counterspell?

-Hyp.

kreynolds

First Post
I think the idea is that a Quickened spell is fast enough to avoid an attack of opportunity, but when it comes to that fighter who is standing right at your side with his sword drawn, just waiting for you to be stupid and cast a spell, the spell just isn't that fast. That fighter just forgoed his entire round waiting for that wizard to cast, and the very instant he does, he triggers the fighters readied action.

Look at it like this. Drawing a weapon is a move-equivalent action that draws an attack of opportunity. If you have quick-draw, drawing a weapon is a free action but it still invokes an attack of opportunity.

So, some things just are not fast enough. Quick draw still takes long enough for anyone to see and pop you one. Quickened spells are fast enough that you have to ready an action to pop the wizard.

Petrosian

First Post
[/B][/QUOTE]
kreynolds said:

I think the idea is that a Quickened spell is fast enough to avoid an attack of opportunity, but when it comes to that fighter who is standing right at your side with his sword drawn, just waiting for you to be stupid and cast a spell, the spell just isn't that fast. That fighter just forgoed his entire round waiting for that wizard to cast, and the very instant he does, he triggers the fighters readied action.
So if instead of this cherry picked case we use something more common... rogue witha bow 30' away watching the melee with "ready to shoot first enemy who starts casting." then you would be arguing the quickened spell goes off befoe the rogue shoots, since he is not standing at your side sword drawn focused on hust you...rtc?

kreynolds said:

Look at it like this. Drawing a weapon is a move-equivalent action that draws an attack of opportunity. If you have quick-draw, drawing a weapon is a free action but it still invokes an attack of opportunity.

SUGGESTION: Read the PHB.

rhammer2

First Post
Drawing a weapon is a MEA that can be combined with a move, it does not draw an AOO. Sheathing a weapon is a MEA that draws an AOO.

kreynolds said:

So, some things just are not fast enough. Quick draw still takes long enough for anyone to see and pop you one. Quickened spells are fast enough that you have to ready an action to pop the wizard.

kreynolds

First Post
No. The rogue still gets to shoot. And if the rogue hits, the caster must make a concentration check. However, the player should specify that they are readying an action to shoot the wizard if he casts.

And secondly, what do you mean read the PHB? That's exactly how quickdraw works.

kreynolds

First Post
Sorry, you're right. Drawing a weapon doesn't invoke an attack of opportunity. My bad. But you still can't do anything about a quickened spell unless you ready an action.

Petrosian

First Post
[/B][/QUOTE]
kreynolds said:

No. The rogue still gets to shoot. And if the rogue hits, the caster must make a concentration check. However, the player should specify that they are readying an action to shoot the wizard if he casts.
Actually as i understand it, and the point we seem to differ on, is that he does not have to specify THE WIZARD but that it can be "first enemy spellcaster" if he wishes to interrupt any of their spells, not just one particular guys spell.

Your example set up a situation where the caster and only that caster was watched like a hawk gettiong total attention blah blah blah... which makes your point about "ready is better than AoO" more palatable. But it also tends to lock the argument into the most favorable case.

hence i asked how you thought about less clear cases (In situation, i know what the rules say about it.)

kreynolds said:

And secondly, what do you mean read the PHB? That's exactly how quickdraw works.

As observed, drawing is not gonna provoke an AoO period.

kreynolds

First Post

As observed, drawing is not gonna provoke an AoO period. [/B][/QUOTE]

Really? I think I already agreed to that. But thanks for the useless redundancy anyways. :) (just pokin')

Regarding Ready Actions: The rules say you specify a trigger and choose an action. Say you are in a fight. You and your party are facing down 7 fighters with swords. However, one of them happens to be a multiclassed fighter/wizard. None of you knows he is a wizard because he looks just like them. Now, say a player says, "I'm going to ready an attack against anyone that may cast a spell." My response would be, "Fine." If that fighter cast a spell, and the player could get to him, he would be able to pop the wizard. That's kind of a given.

The scenario I gave with the rogue was a one-on-one situation. I need to know what a player is setting a trigger for, and what they intend to do about it if triggered because you can't change your action once you set it.

Petrosian

First Post
"The scenario I gave with the rogue was a one-on-one situation. "

Since in my games one-on-one situations are rare, i never use them as my normal case in point assumptions in discussions. You did not specify so i went with my norm and it seemed you were making a point about picking one target and focusing on it.

My bad.

Bored now.

enjoy your games.

Remove ads