D&D 5E Recent Errata clarifications

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Those are the ones. They were a weird and wonderful mix of wacky episodic stories about aliens, and serialized saga about child soldiers and the trauma and moral dilemmas of war… You know, for kids!
I used to see them in the library as a child when I went for books on dinosaurs.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Those are the ones. They were a weird and wonderful mix of wacky episodic stories about aliens, and serialized saga about child soldiers and the trauma and moral dilemmas of war… You know, for kids!
And mind-controlling slug-aliens that enter your brain through your ear, take over your life without any signs of there being anything wrong, and use your life as a front for the alien invaders that are trying to conquer Earth. Again, a series for kids. Written by the same person that wrote The One and Only Ivan, that fairly popular kids book about a gorilla.

Scribe

Legend
And mind-controlling slug-aliens that enter your brain through your ear, take over your life without any signs of there being anything wrong, and use your life as a front for the alien invaders that are trying to conquer Earth. Again, a series for kids. Written by the same person that wrote The One and Only Ivan, that fairly popular kids book about a gorilla.
There's an old episode of Star Trek that had a bug like that. Creeped me out so damn much even as a teen...

Sacrosanct

Legend
Considering they removed Alignment, then added it back with Typically, when it was explicitly, clearly stated that Alignment could always be changed in the MM?

Yeah, I can see it that people dont read things.
You've been playing long enough to know that many people, when looking up monsters, go right the entry and don't read the disclaimer at the beginning of the book.

The books say almost all of the rules are optional, but most people don't inherently change most of the rules, do they? They go to the rule, and assume that's the way game is designed to be played.

Edit this is especially true in the digital age, when most players don't even see or know about that disclaimer. They get the book in D&D beyond or wherever, and go right to the monster entry, and see how that monster is chaotic evil. And because it says that, they play those monsters as chaotic evil as the default.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
There's an old episode of Star Trek that had a bug like that. Creeped me out so damn much even as a teen...
Also Wrath of Khan.

Animorphs is also explicit that the controller (the term the protagonists use for a person being controlled by a yeirk) is conscious and aware of its surroundings and the actions the yeirk makes it do. It was pretty disturbing stuff.

Scribe

Legend
You've been playing long enough to know that many people, when looking up monsters, go right the entry and don't read the disclaimer at the beginning of the book.

The books say almost all of the rules are optional, but most people don't inherently change most of the rules, do they? They go to the rule, and assume that's the way game is designed to be played.
So do people read it and understand, or do they not?

It seems pretty clear.

Remove ads