D&D 5E Recommend me a tier 3 adventure

Clint_L

Hero
I’ve run Return to TOH and add my voice to all the recommendations. It’s truly terrifying in places, especially the City of Moil.
Also, and maybe it's just me, but there is an extra special something about running something with its roots in OG D&D. Especially as we near the 50th anniversary. Plus, if you just want ToH by itself it is available from WotC as part of Tales from the Yawning Portal (there's the Forgotten Realms hook for you).

There are moments in ToH5e when I found myself getting goosebumps thinking about how this came from the brain of GG back when D&D was a cottage industry and he was still fixing shoes to make ends meet.

Did you ever run any of the printed adventures to fit your criteria?
That was a long time ago now, but the short answer is "no". I like City of Eyes, but that didn't really fit with the decisions the party had already made. I ran The Lich Queen's Begotten, updated to 5e, the second half of Lost Laboratory of Kwalish, (they did the first half much earlier) with the encounters replaced with considerably higher level versions, and the rest was homebrew, drawing on lore from the Icewind Dale CRPG and Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun.

They did pass by the entrance to Tomb of Horrors, but decided they didn't want to go in.

Remove ads