• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[RECRUITING] Romance Of The Three Kingdoms

What Era Should We Start In?

• Yellpw Turban Rebellion

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Anti-Dong Zhuo Coalition

Votes: 3 30.0%

possum

First Post
Yeah, last one in.

I need character sheets before the weekend. Except for the person wanting the ranger, I still haven't figured that one out.

Mithran

First Post
Name: Dai Jiao hui

Male Human Rogue 2
Alignment: Chaotic good

Human Abilities
1 feat at 1st level, +4 skill points at 1st level, +1 skill point at each level

Str: 15 (+2)
Dex: 18 (+4)
Con: 12 (+1)
Int: 18 (+4)
Wis: 16 (+3)
Cha: 15 (+2)

Hit Points: 10
XP: 1,000/3,000
AC: 17 (10 base +4 Dex +3 armor)
Init: +4 (+4 Dex)
Speed: 30ft

Saves
Fort: +1 [+0 base +1 Con]
Ref : +7 [+3 base +4 Dex]
Will: +3 [+0 base +3 Wis]

BAB: +1
Grapple: +3 (BaB +1 STR +2)
Melee Atk : +6 (1d6+2 19-20/x2 wakizashi)
Ranged Atk: +5 (1d6+2/20x3 composite shortbow)

Skills (65 skill points)
Balance (3 ranks +4 Dex +2 synergy = 9)
Bluff (5 ranks +2 Cha = 7)
Climb (5 ranks +2 Str = 7)
Diplomacy (2 ranks +2 Cha +2 synergy = 6)
Disable Device (3 ranks +4 Int = 7)
Hide (3 ranks +4 Dex = 7)
Intuit Direction (5 ranks +3 Wis = 8)
Jump (5 ranks +2 Str +2 synergy = 9)
Listen (3 ranks +3 Wis = 6)
Move Silently (3 ranks +4 Dex = 7)
Open Lock (3 ranks +4 Dex = 7)
Read Lips (3 ranks +4 Int = 7)
Search (3 ranks +4 Int = 7)
Sense Motive (3 ranks +3 Wis = 6)
Spot (3 ranks +3 Wis = 6)
Swim (3 ranks +2 Str = 5)
Tumble (5 ranks +4 Dex +2 synergy = 11)
Use Rope (5 ranks +4 Dex = 9)

Armor Check Penalty: -1

Feats
Weapon finesse (wakizashi)
Expertise

Class features
sneak attack +1d6
Evasion

Languages
Campaign appropriate languages here.

Equipment and Possessions:
studded leather
wakizashi
mighty composite shortbow (+2 str bonus)
20 arrows
explorers outfit
Backpack
Waterskin
Thieves tools
Flint and steel
Hammer
10 pitons
Silk rope
2 torchs
Total weight: 54/light load

Light warhorse and the equipment on it:
Bit and bridle
Military saddle
Saddle bags
2 day's feed
7 torchs
5 days trail rations
2 Waterskins
Bedroll
10 pitons
4 bags of caltrops
Explorers outfit
93 gp
Total weight: 99/light load

Appearance: Jiao generally wears black cloth clothing with leather belt and well fitted leather gloves that allow him almost as much free movement as not wearing any gloves at all. Over his other clothing he wears studded leather and a wakizashi in a well-worn scabbard hanging from his belt.

I don't really know much about this period so here is the best I can do without very much knowledge:
Background: Dai Jiao hui was born to a minor merchant family. Jaio was very gifted in learning as a child, this gave his elders high hopes for him becoming a good buisness man and philosopher. But as it turned out he was also gifted in being very stealthy which is the talent he used most during his childhood. This caused him to get into all manner of trouble, and consequently cause his family problems.

With the call to arms Jiao finally saw a way for his talent to not only not cause problems, but to possibly bring honor to his family.

How is this?.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Interesting Tidbit I picked up whilst looking for background info on the Three Kingdoms

Nestorian Christians missionaries from Syria were present in the Kingdom of Wei and according to Jih-Li Chronicles from the Han Dynasty they came from Kingdoms of the Far West the most powerful of which was Ta-T'sin. That could make for an interesting 'foreigner' character...

taitzu52

First Post
Wow. I think that I'm in over my head on this one. I'll be bowing out, but please know that I'll be happily lurking. Have fun!!

TZ

IcyCool

First Post
Ok, here are two concepts I'm toying around with. I haven't put down any specifics regarding saves or gear, and I wanted to hear from you about the Monk/Druid or Rogue/Druid concept before I put down feats for Jin Long. I'm leaving the choice of which one I play to you, as you know what will work better in your campaign. Either way, I think both of them will be entertaining to play. The two questions I have for you are listed in the descriptions below.

--------------------------------
Tang Rong-ying
Fighter 2

3,1,4,2,5,4 = 13
1,5,3,2,4,6 = 15
1,3,6,4,4,1 = 14
6,2,3,2,5,6 = 17
6,2,1,3,6,6 = 18
3,1,5,1,3,6 = 14

Str - 18
Dex - 15
Con - 17
Int - 14
Wis - 13
Cha - 14

BAB: +2

AC: 19 = 10 + 5 (Breastplate) + 2 (Dex) + 2 (Large steel shield)

Weapons:
Heavy Lance (+6 attack, +4 damage)
Spear (+7 attack, +4 damage or +6 damage)
Long Sword (+6 attack, +4 damage)

Feats:
Mounted Combat
Ride by Attack
Spirited Charge
Weapon Focus (Spear) or Trample

Skills (25):
Ride - 5 ranks

Gear:
Breastplate (200gp)
Large Steel Shield
Spear
Heavy Lance (How viable is a heavy lance in this setting? Should I just stick with a longspear?)
Long Sword
Heavy Warhorse and Tack

Tang Rong-ying is the youngest of the three sons of a reasonably well-known horse breeder and merchant. His eldest brother was a horseman of great skill, and Rong-ying idolized him. When the rebellion broke out, his eldest brother was killed in the fighting. Shortly after this, his other brother disappeared in the night. Losing both brothers was a terrible blow to Rong-ying, and when the call for more soldiers came, Rong-ying quickly joined up. Unbeknowst to him, his other brother has sided with the Yellow Scarves and is steadily making a name for himself as a master horseman. The ruthless business skills Rong-ying's father taught him and his natural skill in the saddle have served him well as a heavy horseman on the battlefield.

Rong-ying is a big man with dark brown eyes. His short beard surrounds a mouth that is fixed in a perpetual scowl. When his unit charges, he rides his horse, a big beast named Thunder, with a near fanatical glee. In the heat of battle he can be a bit reckless.

----------------------------------------
Jin Long
(Monk 2 or Rogue 2)/Druid 0 (I'd like to jump into druid (I don't have OA for the shaman or Wujen) as soon as possible, how late in the game were you thinking? Also, would it be possible for me to later swap out the monk levels or rogue levels for druid levels?)

3,1,4,2,5,4 = 13
1,5,3,2,4,6 = 15
1,3,6,4,4,1 = 14
6,2,3,2,5,6 = 17
6,2,1,3,6,6 = 18
3,1,5,1,3,6 = 14

Str - 13
Dex - 14
Con - 14
Int - 15
Wis - 18
Cha - 17

BAB:

AC: 16 = 10 + 2 (Dex) + 4 (Wis)

Weapons:
Unarmed (+1 attack, +1 damage)
Quarterstaff (+1 attack, +1 damage)

Skills (25):

Gear:
Quarterstaff

Jin Long is blessed by the fortunes. At least that's what everybody at the gambling dens say. Jin Long is a handsome and chaste monk. At least that's what all the ladies say. Jin Long is a generous man, rich in ... spirit. At least that's what the merchants say. Everyone has nothing but good things to say about Jin Long. What does he have to say? Jin Long would smile say that he is a simple and honest monk. And everyone will tell you that you can believe him, he never lies.

Everyone does that for him.

Jin Long is an older man, possibly in his forties. He is still quite handsome, and depending on whom you ask, virile. He keeps his head clean-shaven, his beard neatly trimmed. His most striking features are his eyes. One of his eyes is brown, and the other is dark green. People tend to take his appearance to mean that he is blessed. Crops produce a better yield when he is in town, livestock are more healthy and have more offspring. And sometimes, particularly attractive women in the town give birth to babies with one dark green eye. However, when the townsfolk look for Jin Long to interpret the latter omen, he has already moved on to spread his blessings to another town.

possum

First Post
I'd say I would wait on the druid levels for a while.

As for the Ranger's favored enemy, I'd say pick an officer. You can change officers when you gain another favored enemy, but you must have dueled the person you are changing to.

There is also a very important factor to remember here. That factor is disease. Every year, I will be rolling a saving throw to see if you have contracted a disease. If you have, you get a constitution save or you will die of disease (remember, even the great Ma Chao and Taishi Ci actually died of disease, so no one is immune.)

As for character death, if your character dies without having children, or the children not at the age of 15 yet, you will be allowed to have what I like to call "regent" characters. They will be your characters until your child comes of age, or the regent character dies.

IcyCool

First Post
I don't have Diety and Languages written down, because I don't know what's available.
Hit die roll:
[sblock][dice][/sblock]

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Tang Rong-ying
[B]Class:[/B] Fighter 2
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] Lawful Neutral
[B]Deity:[/B] XXXX

[B]Str:[/B] 18 +4            [B]Level:[/B] 2        [B]XP:[/B] 1000
[B]Dex:[/B] 15 +2            [B]BAB:[/B] +2         [B]HP:[/B]  24 (2d10+6)
[B]Con:[/B] 17 +3            [B]Grapple:[/B] +6     [B]Dmg Red:[/B]  -     
[B]Int:[/B] 14 +2            [B]Speed:[/B] 20'      [B]Spell Res:[/B] - 
[B]Wis:[/B] 13 +1            [B]Init:[/B] +2        [B]Spell Save:[/B] - 
[B]Cha:[/B] 14 +2            [B]ACP:[/B] -6         [B]Spell Fail:[/B] -  

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]              10    +5    +2    +2    +0    +0    +0    19
[B]Touch:[/B] 12              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 17

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                      3    +3          +6
[B]Ref:[/B]                       0    +2          +2
[B]Will:[/B]                      0    +1          +1

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Heavy Lance               +6      1d8+4        20x3
Trident                   +7      1d8+4        20x2
Trident (2 hands)         +7      1d8+6        20x2
Trident (Thrown)          +5      1d8+4        20x2
Longsword                 +6      1d8+4     19-20x2
Dagger                    +6      1d4+4     19-20x2
Dagger (Thrown)           +4      1d4+4     19-20x2

[B]Languages:[/B] XXXX

[B]Abilities:[/B] Human bonus feat at first level,
1 bonus skill point at each level,
Favored class: Any

[B]Feats:[/B] 
Mounted Combat (Human Bonus Feat),
Ride By Attack (1st)
Spirited Charge (Fighter Bonus Feat)
Weapon Focus (Trident) (Fighter Bonus Feat)

[B]Thunder (Heavy Warhorse):[/B]
Large Animal
Hit Dice: 4d8+12 (30hp)
Initiative: +1 (Dex)
Speed: 50 ft.
AC: 14 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +4 natural)
Attacks: 2 hooves +6 melee; bite +1 melee
Damage: Hoof 1d6+4; bite 1d4+2
Face/Reach: 5ft. by 10ft./5ft.
Special Qualities: Scent
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +7, Spot +7

These animals are similar to heavy horses but are trained and bred for strength and aggression. A heavy warhorse can fight while carrying a rider, but the rider cannot also attack unless he or she succeeds at a Ride check (DC 10).
Carrying Capacity: A light load for a heavy warhorse is up to 300 pounds; a medium load, 301-600 pounds; a heavy load, 601-900 pounds. A heavy warhorse can drag 4,500 pounds.

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 25       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 5/2
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Appraise (Int) (cc)        1    +2    +0    +3
Bluff (Cha) (cc)           1    +2    +0    +3
Climb (Str)                0    +4    +0    +4
Craft (Int)                0    +2    +0    +2
Diplomacy (Cha) (cc)       1    +2    +0    +3
Gather Information (Cha)cc 0    +2    +0    +2
Handle Animal (Cha)        5    +2    +0    +7
Intimidate (Cha) (cc)      1    +2    +0    +3
Intuit Direction (cc)      0    +X    +0    +X
Jump (Str)                 1    +4    +0    +5
Listen (Wis) (cc)          0    +1    +0    +1
Profession (Wis) (cc)      2    +1    +0    +3
 (Horsebreeder)
Ride (Dex)                 5    +2    +2    +9
Search (Int) (cc)          0    +2    +0    +2
Sense Motive (Wis) (cc)    1    +1    +0    +2
Spot (Wis) (cc)            0    +1    +0    +1
Swim (Str)                 0    +4    +0    +4
Use Rope (Dex) (cc)        0    +2    +0    +2
Wilderness Lore (Wis) (cc) 0    +1    +0    +1

[B]Equipment:               Cost  Weight[/B]
Breastplate             200gp   30lb
Large Steel Shield       20gp   15lb
Trident                  15gp    5lb
Longsword                15gp    4lb
Dagger                    2gp    1lb
Heavy Lance              10gp   10lb
Heavy Warhorse          400gp   ----
 Bit and Bridle           2gp    1lb
 Military Saddle         20gp   30lb
  Bedroll                 1sp    5lb
  50 ft. silk rope       10gp    5lb
 Saddlebags               4gp    8lb
  Winter blanket          5sp    3lb
  4 torches               4cp    4lb
  Waterskin               1gp    4lb
Belt pouch                1gp    3lb
 Flint and steel          1gp   ----
 Small steel mirror      10gp  0.5lb
 Whetstone                2cp    1lb

[B]Total Weight:[/B]  54.5lb (64.5 with lance, 59.5 with trident)

[B]Money:[/B] 189gp   4sp   4cp

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]               100   200   300   300   1500

[B]Age:[/B] 25
[B]Height:[/B] 5' 9"
[B]Weight:[/B] 155lb (204.5lb with gear, 214.5lb with lance, 209.5lb with trident)
[B]Eyes:[/B] Brown
[B]Hair:[/B] Black, Short
[B]Skin:[/B] Weathered
Appearance: Rong-ying is a big man with dark brown eyes. His short beard surrounds a mouth that is fixed in a perpetual scowl. When his unit charges, he rides his horse, a big black beast named Thunder, with a near fanatical glee. In the heat of battle he can be a bit reckless. He usually carries his dagger and longsword on him when not riding. When riding in combat, he usually uses his trident and shield, occaisionally using his heavy lance for tough opponents.

Background: Tang Rong-ying is the youngest of the three sons of a reasonably well-known horse breeder and merchant. His eldest brother was a horseman of great skill, and Rong-ying idolized him. When the rebellion broke out, his eldest brother was killed in the fighting. Shortly after that, his other brother disappeared into the night. Losing both brothers was a terrible blow to Rong-ying, and when the call for more soldiers came, Rong-ying quickly joined up. Unbeknowst to him, his other brother has sided with the Yellow Scarves and is steadily making a name for himself as a master horseman. The ruthless business skills Rong-ying's father taught him and his natural skill in the saddle have served him well as a heavy horseman on the battlefield.

Last edited:

Airwhale

First Post
Here is my shot at it... I see that we already have a rogue... is that okay? I tried to differentiate Gau Xuan hao as more of a diplomat/detective/freedom cell organizer rather then your standard rogue.

Gau Xuan hao
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Rogue:2
Str - 17
Dex - 16
Con - 16
Int - 18
Wis - 15
Cha - 18

BAB: +1 melee
HP: 17
AC: 15 = 10 + 2 (Leather) + 3 (Dex)

Or

AC: 17 = 10 + 4 (Chain shirt) + 3 (Dex)

Saves: Fort:+3
Reflex: +6
Will: +2
Weapons:

Short Sword (+4/+2 attack, +3 damage)
Short Sword (+4/+2 attack, +1 damage)(Off hand)
Light Crossbow ( +4 attack, +0 damage)

Sneak attack +1D6
Evade

Feats:
Ambidexterity
Two weapon fighting

Skills (65) (8+4+1)*4+(13) :

Bluff 9=(4+5)
Decipher Script 8=(4+4)
Disguise 9=(4+5+2) (11 when trying to act in character in disguise)
Diplomacy 11=(4+5+2)
Disable device 4=(3+1)
Escape artist 5=(3+2)
Forgery 7=(4+3)
Gather information 9=(4+5)
Hide 7=(3+4)
Innuendo 7=(2+3+2)
Knowledge (local) 5=(4+1)
Listen 6=(2+4)
Move silently 7=(3+4)
Open Lock 5=(3+2)
Search 8=(4+4)
Sense Motive 7=(2+5)
Pick Pocket 6=(3+1+2)
Spot 7=(2+5)
Use Magic Device 9=(4+5)

Gear:
Chain Shirt (100gp)
Leather armor (25 gp)
Light crossbow
Dagger
Short sword X2

The bid for Dong Zhuo’s control of the empire did not start in 189 AD, when he forced Emperor Shao to abdicate and installed his own puppet government. The groundwork for his coup begin well before, with the discreet “removal” of several of Shao’s supporters. Gau Xuan hao’s father and elder brother were among these. While Gau Xuan hao was enjoying a rare tea with his family in the confines of their home, a dark man attempted to slay them all. The house bodyguards had been bought off, leaving his family defenseless. His father, mother and brother, not sword fighters by any means, were quickly slain. Gau Xuan hao was in training to become an imperial officer, and managed to wound the swordsman and force him to retreat. While the swordsman was masked, he did have one identifying feature: his left hand had 6 fingers….

Gau Xuan Hao dedicated the last 4 years of his life to finding this murder. Knowing his life was in danger, as it is no small feat to arrange the disappearance of a nobleman’s house guard, he became part of the cities underground. Within the past two years, he has found the shocking revelation that a six fingered man had been reported to be under the employ of one of the emperors most trusted generals, Dong Zhuo! Since that time, Gau Xuan Hao has been able to embarrass and foil the scheming of the general on several occasions. He has arranged for the emperor to find evidence that one of Dong Zhou’s advisers had been sleeping with one of the emperor’s bed women. He has saved the life of another noble family who is loyal to the emperor, and he has found the company of several malcontents who have a score to settle with the general.

Gau Xuan Hao is reasonably well known to the general’s men, and has taken to constantly disguising himself while in public to avoid annoyances. He is of medium build, kind disposition, and has much energy. It is hardly apparent that most of his actions are motivated by revenge.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads