D&D 5E Renewing the D&D Next cosmology through Anthroposophy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd actually argue that in Dragonlance Paladine (Good) holds the balance, and the Evil faction is split into those who want to mainly destroy (lead by Takhisis) and those who want to mainly conquer (lead by Sargonnas). The actual Neutral faction lead by Gilean is more like the Indeps in Planescape, staying on the sideline and focusing on their own projects.

Well, based on your peception, when the Threefold Worldview reaches the fictional world of Krynn, then the cosmology would be renewed, with Takhisis and Sargonnas forming the two evil poles, and the Neutral gods being split into two pantheons.

Sargonnas and the other Law-leaning Evil gods (LE)
The Law-leaning Neutral gods (LN)
Paladine and the other authentically Good gods (CG, NG, LG)
The Chaos-leaning Neutral gods (CN)
Takhisis and the other Chaos-leaning Evil gods (CE)

Last edited:

Worthy idea were they not rendered on a black background in the default forum theme. :) The blue-on-black is completely unreadable to me, I have to highlight it to make it legible. Ruining the effect you're hoping for. Just sayin' is all.

Fair enough...thanks for the heads up. :) I'll reconsider whether or how to use color in future posts.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Sargonnas and the other Chaos-leaning Evil gods (CE)
The Chaos-leaning Neutral gods (CN)
Paladine and the other authentically Good gods (CG, NG, LG)
The Law-leaning Neutral gods (LN)
Takhisis and the other Law-leaning Evil gods (LE)
Are you really equating Law with Destruction? And turning Sargonnas chaotic? I see the words "based on your perception" in your post and yet that looks nothing like mine.

Mercurius

Legend
Bad/evil is a tricky thing in Steiner's (or any mystical/esoteric) philosophy because it serves a larger, dare I say "good", purpose. It is through the opposing forces of Ahriman and Lucifer that we evolve, that we are able to become more than we are. The idea, then, is not to negate or eradicate these forces, but to integrate and balance them (and not fall into either extreme).

Are you really equating Law with Destruction? And turning Sargonnas chaotic? I see the words "based on your perception" in your post and yet that looks nothing like mine.

Oops, I misrepresented what you said. I typed it backwards. It should be Sargonnas as LE and Takhisis as CE.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I imagine that's what Pippin said after listening to Elrond speak.
Should I be offended? You do realize that english isn't my language? And I can't think of anyone who speaks more clearly than Elrond. Especially in the movie version where he slows his speech to a crawl so that even a troll could follow it. "Mr. Anderson, you do realize that this here trek to Mordor.. oh, wait. Who am I again?" :angel:

Whereas you were quoting someone quoting other people. The context is lost and stumbling in darkness. Someone give context a torch before it stubs its toe. There's a guy from 1919 saying "so that in reality we have a battle between Lucifer and Ahriman", and I'm thinking 'in reality? Is that really what he meant? Was that an allusion, a speech pattern, or an actual theory of the way of the world?' I don't know. Then he says "You see the far-reaching consequences revealed by such a consideration." You do? If you think they are reality, then isn't it the consequence itself? Oh, but wait, "they are, in reality, dealing with the Luciferic and Ahrimanic elements". There's that pesky call to reality again. But whose reality? The one of the theory? The one of the lecturer? The actual one? Here's a torch, shine some light in to the balance. :p

Tallifer

Hero
I am not a fanatic of the Forgotten Realms. Not even a lukewarm supporter.

But since the Wizards fully intend to support Ed Greenwood's Realms, they may as well make its cosmology the core cosmology for the Fifth Edition. Both cosmologies: pre- and post-spell plague with lots of side bars, iconic characters, pantheons, domains, themes, the works. Once it becomes part and parcel of the core books, almost everyone will just accept it fait accompli. The rest will homebrew as they have always done.

Bad/evil is a tricky thing in Steiner's (or any mystical/esoteric) philosophy because it serves a larger, dare I say "good", purpose. It is through the opposing forces of Ahriman and Lucifer that we evolve, that we are able to become more than we are. The idea, then, is not to negate or eradicate these forces, but to integrate and balance them (and not fall into either extreme).

Yes, exactly. And the D&D cosmology has a nice continuum, so that the CG and CN forces would be located on the spectrum between Good and Chaotic Evil; and on the other hand, LG and LN would lie between Good and Lawful Evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads