• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

So, let's say I wanted to include a race in my campaign that are, thematically, the D&D-equivalent to the Borg from Star Trek.

Let me stress "thematically." I'm not looking to create D&D cyborgs or anything that necessarily physically resembles the Borg. The important factors I'm looking to import are:

1) Hive mind/lack of individuality, and

2) The existential threat of being converted/absorbed into the hive, losing who you are and becoming the enemy.

And I don't want to go with undead.

Now, with those factors in mind, what already existing monster or race would you recommend I use? (Bonus points if it already exists in 5E, but something from any edition will do. I don't want to homebrew something brand new for this, for various reasons.)

I'm willing to make a few minor changes/tweaks to the monster, but nothing that transforms them so completely that they're not recognizable.

jgsugden

Legend
Cthulhuesque concepts work here, as does demonic possession.

Personally, I'd go with fauna and fungus. Yellow Musk Zombies and Obliviax can be combined to do fun things...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
So, let's say I wanted to include a race in my campaign that are, thematically, the D&D-equivalent to the Borg from Star Trek.

Let me stress "thematically." I'm not looking to create D&D cyborgs or anything that necessarily physically resembles the Borg. The important factors I'm looking to import are:

1) Hive mind/lack of individuality, and

2) The existential threat of being converted/absorbed into the hive, losing who you are and becoming the enemy.

And I don't want to go with undead.

Now, with those factors in mind, what already existing monster or race would you recommend I use? (Bonus points if it already exists in 5E, but something from any edition will do. I don't want to homebrew something brand new for this, for various reasons.)

I'm willing to make a few minor changes/tweaks to the monster, but nothing that transforms them so completely that they're not recognizable.

Modrons.

mellored

Legend
Weren't the fungus people like this? Get everyone high and turn then into fungi.

Also, insects. Possibly some psychic ones from darksun.

These are all cool ideas so far, and I'd love to hear more. But this:

This is downright brilliant.

See, I hate the modrons. Always have. Always felt they were silly, and not the good/fun kind of silly.

But the idea of them as consumers/re-creators of living beings as raw materials for new modrons, the idea of them caring for nothing but expanding throughout and rebuilding the multiverse as a realm of perfectly ordered (read: stagnant and never-changing) geometry... I love that. And the juxtaposition of how goofy they look with how terrifying that could be is seriously cool.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Isn't this exactly the modus operandi of the Mind Flayers?

If not just food, you have a larva put into you that transforms your physical form to an illithid and are not part of the hive mind.

Or, a third option, you are twisted into a new form of thrall that meets the colonies needs.

Another option is vampires. While it is not their typical flavor, you could take the idea that vampires are connected to and controlled by their creator and ramp it up to 11. A vampiric borg race spreading like the plague. Oh, right, you said no undead. Him, reskin a vampire into a non-undead or make a lycanthrop have a similar link to its creator?

Myconids are another classic monster that is not undead, has a kind of hive-mind via spores and can transform other creatures into fungal creatures. When the sovereign takes damage all myconids nearby feel the pain. While the reanimating spores create a fungal drone from a corpse ( I would rule it to be a fungal creature and not an undead one), you could homebrew that so that living creatures could be turned into spore servants, not just corpses.

Another option that would be pretty awesome would be a cult of Wizards who use enchantments, evocations, and transmutations to effectuate a borg-like society, bring in new members willingly or unwillingly based on characteristics they desire from the group and which they can study and work into a program to create an ever-evolving master race. Just a few tweaks would be needed. Perhaps they have experimented on dopplegangers and applied what they learned to themselves.

Some spells from core books that would add to the flavor of the group:

* Alter Self - they will use alter self to take on desired traits. At low levels it is temporary, but at higher levels, perhaps they are able to make the alterations "stick" and become a permanent part of their normal form.

* Create Homunculus - it makes sense that such a cult would create beings from their own blood that have a telepathic bond to them and go out to spy, conduct reconnaisance, run errands, etc.

* Dominate Person - useful to get control over desirable "recruits"

* Enhance Ability - but instead of hair/fur from a beast, perhaps they can use hair, nail clippings, blood etc. from a human to enhance their abilities temporariliy. So they will want to take in new members that have attributes they tend to lack in.

* Feeble Mind - weak the minds of those they want to abosorb into their group.

* Modify Memory

* Polymorph - they would have an interest in magics that allow them to take the form of other creatures or to put others into the forms of other creatures are part of their experiments.

* Shape Change -- I would alter a bit to either allow, say 6 or more low-level members to cast this as a ritual and if they continue the ritual for 24 hours, the creature is takes on the shap of the new creature permanently unless greater restoration is cast. This is how they try to continue to better them selves and transform those brought in.

* Skill Empowerment - toch a creature to give it expertise in a skill of your choice seems to fit the flavor of a borg-like magic cult.

* Telepathy - I might make this a group feature. Perhaps they have some artifact in their home base or they have just developed the ability and newly transformed members inherit it.

Hmmm...I'm starting to like my doppleganger wizard borg cult. I might have to find a way to use that. :)

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
But the idea of them as consumers/re-creators of living beings as raw materials for new modrons, the idea of them caring for nothing but expanding throughout and rebuilding the multiverse as a realm of perfectly ordered (read: stagnant and never-changing) geometry... I love that. And the juxtaposition of how goofy they look with how terrifying that could be is seriously cool.

They call that the "Grey Goo" scenario.

That said, I would probably go with Mind Flayers if I wanted an existing non-undead race. In addition to making you into a proper Mindflayer with Gigeresque body horror, they can make you into a "simple" Thrall by cutting out part of your brain to make an Intellect Devourer. Then install all kinds of special upgrades like Flensing Claws

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Weren't the fungus people like this? Get everyone high and turn then into fungi.

Some kind of myconid or veggie would be good, spread by spores or seeds. See Invasion of the Body Snatchers; “This Side of Paradise” of Star Trek; “Field Trip” from X Files.

The Amnion from Stephen R. Donaldson’s Gap novels are a borglike race that isn’t nearly as expansionist, but instead of using tech, they rewrite the assimilated beings’ DNA.

Remove ads