D&D General Rethinking the class name "Druid".

Laurefindel

Legend
UPDATE: I don't like the name. I increasingly feel like it's simply the wrong fit for my vision of generic fantasy: no matter how many contexts it gets used in I don't feel like I can separate the name from its original context.

So I'm trying to think of alternatives. So far I've come up with "greenpriest" and "wildpriest".
In Rolemaster (hum, 2nd ed? can't recall which one I had*), the "druid" class was named "Animist", which covered druid-type characters, shaman-type characters, and channeling-based witch-type characters.

*[edit] Rolemaster standard system it was.

Greg K

Legend
Anyway. for me back on topic to this thread.
Personally, I would like to rename the Barbarian, Cleric (or split it into classes), Druid, Monk (or split it into two or three classes), Paladin (or split it into two classes) as well as splitting the Rogue into two or three classes.

Barbarian: I would say Berserker, but I like Berserker as a subclass

Cleric: Split into Priest and Templar (or either Warrior Priest or Holy Warrior)

Druid: Personally, I would rename Shaman (in the general anthropological sense that it is used among many anthropologists) and grant subclasses (e.g. Dreamwalker, Psychopomp, Skinwalker, Spirit Binder (for those cultures in which the collection of spririts is a reflection of power), Spirit Healer (someone dedicated to channeling a spirit to heal), Spirit-Ridden, etc.) at first level. In addition, I allow the character to choose from an ancestral, environmental, or totem spirit that scout and provide a limited version of the Guidance cantrip (History, Medicine, Nature, Survival), that requires a short rest or long rest for an answer depending the subject is not part of the spirits area of knowledge.

Paladin: Split into the Champion (a non-spellcaster with abilities refective of and fueled by his or her Oath) and the Holy Warrior with specific powers reflective of his deity and its domain).

Last edited:

I don't quite understand what the issue with the term is, and I think it definitely is far more informative than something made up like 'greenpriest.' People tend to have pretty decent idea what the archetype of a fantasy druid is about.

That being said, in my current setting druids are usually called shamans, as 'druid' sound far too European for this world.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
UPDATE: I don't like the name. I increasingly feel like it's simply the wrong fit for my vision of generic fantasy: no matter how many contexts it gets used in I don't feel like I can separate the name from its original context.

So I'm trying to think of alternatives. So far I've come up with "greenpriest" and "wildpriest".

(original post that was confusing: )
I'm not sure "druid" needs a rethink. I'm also not sure it doesn't, as I'm not a person who get affected either way.

But I increasingly feel like it's simply the wrong fit for my vision of generic fantasy: no matter how many contexts it gets used in I don't feel like I can separate the name from its original, historical context.

(I probably do not want to use the word "shaman" as I'm worried that also has some real world connections I don't want to exploit.)
Wilder
Naturalist

Greg K

Legend
In Rolemaster (hum, 2nd ed? can't recall which one I had*), the "druid" class was named "Animist", which covered druid-type characters, shaman-type characters, and channeling-based witch-type characters.

*[edit] Rolemaster standard system it was.
RMSS is interesting. Yes, it initially, had just the Animist Profession and the Shaman Priest package in the Standard Rules book. However, the Channeling Companion (referred to below as CC) introduced a customizable Priest Profession which could be used to build a Shaman by taking the right base spell lists from CC (as described in Section 12.0) while section 12 of the book was all about the Spirit World including different types of spirits, taint, and spirit combat.

With regards to the Witch that you mentioned, the Channeling Companion also introduced the Witch Training package intended for various Channeling Professons, but could be applied to others. Annoyingly (imo), the Witch package in CC was associated with Demons.

As an aside, RM2 also began with the Animist Profession (in Character/Campaign Law). Then, the Druid Profession was introduced in RM Companion 1 and the Shaman in RM Companion 2.

Last edited:

ad_hoc

(they/them)
If I were to change the name it would be to something more ferocious.

When people hear of D&D Druids they often think of tree hugging hippies.

Thematically they are one of the most brutal of the classes. Nature gives life but is also uncaring and harsh. Druids care about preserving the wild and natural cycles but not necessarily about individual life. They revere the 'evil' nature deities just as much as the 'good' ones.

Remove ads