Revised Ranger update

Chaosmancer

Legend
There is no way I can reply to that mess you posted. Seriously, you quoted 6-7 people in one post, quoted me many times, but there are many replies to other posters in the same post as your replies to me, with many in between replies to me, and with a mention in reply to someone else? How am I, or anyone else, supposed to parse all that out to reply?

I apologize that you found it confusing. I try very hard not to post 2 or 3 times in a row, so I tend to clump replies together. If I had realized being quoted at different points in my post would have been confusing for you I would have kept all of your sections together instead of keeping things in chronological order as best as I could.

"Until level 7 the beast cannot take any action other than attacking without it costing the ranger his entire turn." Which is just plain false. "You can use your action to verbally command it to take the Attack, Dash, Disengage, Dodge, or Help action. " So you can't command it to attack without costing all your actions any more than you can command it to do anything else without it costing all your actions.

I am not “plain false” by level 7 you have the level 5 ability, which allows the ranger to attack once when the beast uses the attack action. I was working my way backwards and I understand you were confused by my post, but the very next sentence was “And until level 5 they cannot even attack without taking the Ranger’s action”

But, either way this is the problem. Many of your “solutions” such as “just have the beast use the Help action” are only viable 4 levels into the subclass. Other than attacking, what is the beast supposed to do that is so useful for levels 3, 4, 5, and 6?

"And, how do you think companions knock down foes, poison foes, and ect? Do they not need to make an attack action to do this? Are they not on the frontlines when they do so, since almost no beasts have a ranged attack?" I already responded to that point. There are companions with reach, and with flyby attack, if direct attacking is what you want them to do. Try the Giant Poisonous Snake or Flying Snake for instance.

Okay, the reach of the Giant Snake is 10ft, so unless you have a box of other characters around that snake, an enemy can still reach them by taking a 5 ft step. Unless you attack and retreat which may be viable, but still means that you are likely less than 30ft away which leaves you vulnerable to being closed in on and being in melee. Hence why wizards and archers generally try and stay further than 30 ft away, so they aren’t on the frontlines of a fight.

And flyby attack can be great, I’m not denying it. However, your point I was responding to was this “They can be used in combat, but mostly to help the ranger and to do some special things like knocking foes down, poisoning foes, doing a flyby attack on foes, and those sorts of things the ranger has more difficulty doing.”

So, they can be used in combat to do special things, like knock foes down (by making the attack action) or poison foes (which is just damage and is also the attack action) doing a flyby attack on foes (which is just the attack action) and those are things the ranger has a hard time doing… which means the attack action right? Because shooting an enemy with a bow for 1d8+dex mod is far more effective than doing a flyby for 3d4+1 (consider a dex mod of 4, 1d8 gives an average of 4.5 so an average of 8.5 damage. 1d4 is average of 2.5*3 7.5+1 gives us 8.5, but it is poison damage which is more likely to be resisted or ignored and the flyby has to enter melee reach while the bo can be 100 ft away), all the poison is just more damage, and while knocking prone is great, it also necessitates being in melee range constantly since wolves don’t have reach, and knocking an enemy prone can be bad in a party with a lot of ranged attacks.

So, I don’t see how you have this narrative that beasts are far more useful than their attack before level 7, when everything you list is part of their attack action. Or how you don’t understand how they are frontliners when the best “ranged” options are to move into range then back out which can still leave a combatant vulnerable to being chased down or getting hit with a readied attack.

"How do you plan on allowing a ranger who focuses on archery to protect a beast like a wolf which is best in melee range?" I don't. I absolutely completely do not expect a beastmaster ranger who wants their pet to focus on melee to themselves focus on archery. Take another sub-class if that's what you want to focus on. Because if you want your pet to focus on melee, then in the very least you need to focus on melee as well to fight beside your companion. This just seems to be one of those "I want it all" type perspectives. You're not going to get it all - with any class. A melee companion expects a melee ranger to be paired with it, or else don't choose a melee companion strategy. You can instead choose a run and gun beast like those mentioned above.

So two points here.

1) Then your solution is not useful for archers. And considering half or more rangers are likely archers, that aspect of your solution is only useful for about half of all rangers. You might be fine with that as a design, but that doesn’t mean it is not a legitimate criticism that is being leveraged.

2) If you pick one of those snakes, or the owl, what use is the ability to protect them if they get hit in melee? You seem to believe that their abilities will mean they will almost never be in melee, and from my perspective, it leads to the same problem. If you are an Archer, you are likely trying to stay further back from the fighting than your companion who has to close into melee. You’ll rarely be next to your companion to take advantage of that ability.

I don’t think this is “I want it all” to think, what use is this ability when I want to be a ranged combatant. Nothing about Beastmaster says “You must be melee” so it is a legitimate choice to decide I want to use a bow, and that decision is what you are running into, not someone wanting everything. Well, unless you count “I want to use a bow” and “I don’t want my companion to die in melee” as everything. In which case, I suppose it is.

4) Their competitors in the marketplace will have the data they paid to gather for their own use.

Moving this up here, per your request to format my posts differently.

Could you possibly explain how data on which 5e classes are the most popular is of any use to a competitor of DnD 5e?

I mean, unlike companies that make technology for example there is nothing to hide about the creation of DnD 5e, it was a public playtest after all. And the final product lays out exactly what they did for any competitor to buy and analyze for their own use. How they made it isn’t an issue, people know how to write game rules and any language tricks they used would be easily seen by spending the money to buy a book and reading them.

In fact, just about the only argument I could see is that a competitor might use that data to see what people like, and then design things like that so people will want to buy their thing… Which I guess costing them some money to do so is a decent strategy, but the thing is most of DnD’s competitors know the biggest selling point of DnD.

It’s DnD, the oldest Roleplaying Game system out there, the one that started it all. And since their competitors can’t make DnD, they are already at a disadvantage and they all know that.

Jeremy Crawford said that they have some Hunter changes/fixes coming via the new errata that solve some of the problems they were attempting to address with the UA Revised Ranger. We'll see once they actually make those errata public, but as others have pointed out, I think there's a very reasonable reading of the Ranger text that allows for your companion to make intelligent choices once you've given it an order, freeing up your action every round to do other stuff like attack as normal. After all, isn't that one of the complaints people have about the Beast Master, that you have to burn your action every turn to tell your companion to attack?

Oh, it total is. I guess I’m just used to Errata being used to refer to small clarifications in the rules, or fixing misprints. This is neither of those, this would be rewriting the rules entirely.

Just a confusion of terms I suppose.

No it’s not.
Slightly underpowered maybe. But “incredibly poor” is pure hyperbole.

The beast master is so-so, but the ranger itself is fine. Especially for its first dozen levels (aka 90% of the levels that will actually see play). The hunter ranger is far from the weakest character option and can out-damage a fighter at many levels. (To say nothing of the Guide to Everything options.)
Okay, the ranger relies a little too much on spells. And a few of its mechanics aren’t great. It’s first level features are lame. But it’s far from the unplayable mess it’s often presented as online. It’s not going to drag down the party, it will deal decent damage, and it still shines during exploration.
Really, most optimizer’s class tier rankings put the ranger quite high. Above the berserker barbarian, elemental and shadow monk, and warlock.

I don’t know, I think incredibly poor is a fairly accurate assessment.

Yeah, Hunter’s damage is fine. But there 1st level abilities are pretty terrible, advantage on tracking specific enemies is hardly useful in most campaigns (and tracking creatures like oozes, elementals and giants is either non-existent or laughably easy in a lot of cases. ) Having expertise only when in their favored terrain for skills they already picked is pretty poor when compared to other skill related abilities, like… expertise which is active constantly or jack of all trades which boosts non-proficent skills. Their spells being known instead of prepared is an absolute mess since many of their spells are highly situational, and they get incredibly few spells in total. Primeval awareness is simply horrible by pure RAW unless the DM is very generous in the reading, and it costs you spell slots to use which is just insulting with how little information you can actually get. Hide in Plain Sight might get used once, and it is for solo missions in a group game, and Foe Slayer is only useful for an accuracy boost against a small selection of enemies which you may or may not be facing.

So, yeah, incredibly poor. Not unplayable, I’ve never said that myself, but it is hardly fun if you end up in a party who built for the same things and constantly outshines you.

:/
Why on EARTH would they say “because the internet said so”?!? That’s not a thing anyone has said ever in the history of humanity.

You far underestimate humanity. In particular, a lot of people here defending JC seem to be saying we all think the Ranger is bad just “because the internet said so”… pick your poisons carefully my friend.

Okay, so let’s just proceed assuming the ranger IS unequivocally weak. So what? There’s always going to be a weakest option. If they revise and fix the ranger, then another class will become the weakest.
Will we need to fix the next weakest option after?

We’ve been around this slippery slope argument quite a few times. I’m not engaging with it yet again.

Here’s the thing… despite being ridiculously weak compared to the wizard, cleric, and druid, people STILL played fighters in 3e. The fighter was always one of the most popular classes. And the variance in power level between a mid level wizard and a fighter in 3e/Pathfinder was ridiculously larger than the difference between the ranger and other classes in 5e. The disparity is well within the margin of error.

So, there was never any call to do better than the 3e fighter. That’s amusing since one of the big things I remember being discussed in the playtest for 5e was how to NOT repeat the mistakes made with the 3e fighter.

But, it was popular so I guess all of those criticisms were baseless lies propagated by the internet.

After all popularity is more important than anything else for deciding what the design needs to be.

That’s nice.
How many people? Again, was it 1,000? Because otherwise the sample size is too small to remotely be relevant.

You also have a obvious sampling bias. First, you’re innately going to remember threads and posts that match your opinions and skim over the ones that don’t. Second, the people who don’t find their character weak and don't switch aren’t going to post.

And you love appealing to “the masses” and relying on appeals to authority. I know I cannot objectively prove the majority opinion. I know that the majority opinion probably doesn’t care.

But telling someone “your voice is too small so your opinion doesn’t matter, suck it up” doesn’t mean you are right, and surprisingly, it doesn’t get people to agree with you.

How else do you get the class out to people?

The vast majority of players don’t visit the forums or the website or follow the designers on Twitter. Jeremy Crawford only has 46,000 followers. That’s only 0.3% of the D&D audience.
They could put out a revision of the class, and most players would not see it.

So what good is a fix that most people don’t know of?

Wait, the only possible way to get a fix to a class is to release an entirely new edition because most people aren’t online so they won’t know about it. How would they know about a new editions being released?

Better yet why do we have DnD Beyond, DMsGuild, Unearthed Arcana, Sage Advice, podcasts, livestreams, or literally any other thing on the internet that WoTC is devoting time and effort towards? It will only ever reach .3% of the audience so it isn’t worth it to continue.

Heck, I bet my local gaming store only sells DnD to about a thousand people, STATISTICALLY INSIGNIFIGANT, we should stop spending the money to send them books and only focus on the bigger markets.

You’ve taken your argument of popularity to absurd heights. If they utilized their online resources, people would learn about it. It would spread to the people who cared enough to look, and then those people would tell others the next time the ranger came up in conversation. That is how communication works. And if it doesn’t reach every single person, that doesn’t mean it wasn’t worth the time and effort to put out the fix, so when someone does look, they can easily find that there was a solution provided.

What point isn’t true?

So, we are going to ignore the tweet where he said that the problem was a vocal minority on the internet and that releasing the Revised Ranger only exacerbated the “perception” there was a problem.

As in, there wasn’t really a problem, it wasn’t a real problem, it was a fake problem created by a vocal minority on the internet.

Not that our perceptions are valid, that our perceptions are false.

But, I’m sure I should take that in the best possible light of just being unpopular.

It’s not that what you believe is a lie, it’s that not everyone has the same belief.
If someone tells me that vanilla isn’t the best iced cream flavour I don’t say they’re calling me a liar and saying that I’m wrong.

You also don’t go on the internet and say that sales of chocolate topping Wal-marts ice cream sales for the month was all a lie perpetrated by vanilla haters to trick people into thinking that vanilla needs improving to keep up.

Also, what evidence would you really accept? Is there *anything* Crawford could show you to back up his statement that you would accept?

That the Ranger is popular? I don’t care.

That the Beastmaster ranger is Popular? I guess if I could see the exact survey numbers that showed the Beastmaster getting a large percentage of votes for classes people enjoy actually playing, along with survey data showing the majority of people would prefer no changes to the beastmaster because they believe it to work just fine.

That the Beastmaster Ranger works mechanically? Something pretty dang persuasive since after all this discussion almost no one has defended that position and the few attempts made have been incredibly poor at best. Likely, there is nothing he could point to, but I would try and keep an open mind about it.

Why would the next be perfect?

Why do you think “I want this to be better” means “I want this to be perfect”?

We’ll never create something perfect. It can’t be done. But that doesn’t mean we need to settle for this.

Laurefindel

Legend
You know, I wouldn't mind some additional animals to choose from.

since we're going meta with the animal companion anyway, I wouldn't mind having a choice of (three?) generic animal templates to chose from, then apply one trait representing the specific animal (wolf has pack tactics, bear has more hp, owl has flyby, panther has pounce etc). Probably an unpopular opinion, but I believe it would be easier to design a suitable (and balanced?) companion for the ranger without messing with wild animal "monsters" of the DMG.

Satyrn

First Post
since we're going meta with the animal companion anyway, I wouldn't mind having a choice of (three?) generic animal templates to chose from, then apply one trait representing the specific animal (wolf has pack tactics, bear has more hp, owl has flyby, panther has pounce etc). Probably an unpopular opinion, but I believe it would be easier to design a suitable (and balanced?) companion for the ranger without messing with wild animal "monsters" of the DMG.

This is totally doable.

I've seen the idea written up here before . . . though it might have been for wildshape forms instead, but that's much the same thing.

Asgorath

Explorer
Oh, it total is. I guess I’m just used to Errata being used to refer to small clarifications in the rules, or fixing misprints. This is neither of those, this would be rewriting the rules entirely.

Just a confusion of terms I suppose.

Is it, though? What if their intent all along was that the Beast Master's companion would act intelligently, where the Ranger would use their action to give the order to attack in the first round, and then subsequent rounds would be able to attack alongside their companion (i.e. it kept following the order to the best of its ability, until directed otherwise). This is exactly the kind of thing they fix with errata, as it's not tossing the entire subclass and rewriting it from scratch. That's my expectation based on JC's comments on Dragon Talk, where he said they had found a way to fix a number of issues via the errata process rather than going down the route of a Revised Ranger.

That is, they could simply change this:

"The beast obeys your commands as best as it can. It takes its turn on your initiative, though it doesn’t take an action unless you command it to."

to something like this:

"The beast obeys your commands as best as it can. It takes its turn on your initiative, though it doesn’t take an action unless you command it to. It then continues to perform that action until otherwise directed."

then a fairly major concern about Beast Masters (the action economy) is essentially resolved, right?

PS - Please don't combine replies to several people into one message. If you need to reply to a bunch of posts, at least keeping to one reply per post makes subsequent quotes of your replies much easier to manage.

And you love appealing to “the masses” and relying on appeals to authority. I know I cannot objectively prove the majority opinion. I know that the majority opinion probably doesn’t care.
That's not how "appeal to the masses" or argumentum ad populum works.
That fallacy applies to someone saying "X" is true because the majority of people believe "X". It's the "50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong" fallacy.

I'm not saying the ranger isn't problematic. Or not weak.
I'm not saying the class couldn't have tighter design.
I'm not saying that you're wrong to not like the ranger.

What I am saying is that for a fix to be done to the game, there needs to be a critical mass of players who are having actual problems at their tables. Because issuing a fix will also cause disagreements and problems at tables, and if more people end up inconvenienced because of the fix than are helped, than the net result was negative.
And I'm also saying that WotC has looked at the number of players who are playing rangers, compared that with the number of players who complained about rangers, and decided that work on a revision would cause more problems than it would solve. And that even starting work on a ranger revision has just let to more dissatisfaction.

But telling someone “your voice is too small so your opinion doesn’t matter, suck it up” doesn’t mean you are right, and surprisingly, it doesn’t get people to agree with you.
I don't need you to agree with me. You agreeing with me and $2 gets me a cup of coffee.
And I'm not the person you need to get agreeing with you.

That doesn't mean your opinion doesn't matter. It matters to you. It just doesn't matter to anyone else. Why would it?

Also... would you really WANT WotC to listen to small subsets of the fanbase over the majority?

That the Ranger is popular? I don’t care.

That the Beastmaster ranger is Popular? I guess if I could see the exact survey numbers that showed the Beastmaster getting a large percentage of votes for classes people enjoy actually playing, along with survey data showing the majority of people would prefer no changes to the beastmaster because they believe it to work just fine.

That the Beastmaster Ranger works mechanically? Something pretty dang persuasive since after all this discussion almost no one has defended that position and the few attempts made have been incredibly poor at best. Likely, there is nothing he could point to, but I would try and keep an open mind about it.
We're not talking about the beast master.
Where does Crawford mention the beast master? Nowhere in the tweets is the beast master even hinted at.
The beast master is completely irrelevant to this conversation.

If the beast master is broken, you fix that subclass and not the class as a whole. Or make a new ranger pet subclass. Or don't and just let people pick from other subclasses.

OB1

Jedi Master
Just thought of something. The bladelock was considered underpowered, and so a new patron was created to help with that. It cost resources by not allowing you to pick another patron if you wanted to be the best bladelock possible, and I don’t remember a huge outcry about it.
So again I ask, why can’t spells and feats be used to do the same thing for Beastmaster Rangers. Yes it means giving up other things, just as it does for Warlocks, but if the net result is a higher power class option for a certain style of play without having to rewrite anything, isn’t it worth it?

Asgorath

Explorer
We're not talking about the beast master.
Where does Crawford mention the beast master? Nowhere in the tweets is the beast master even hinted at.
The beast master is completely irrelevant to this conversation.

If the beast master is broken, you fix that subclass and not the class as a whole. Or make a new ranger pet subclass. Or don't and just let people pick from other subclasses.

Actually, there's at least one Sage Advice section on Dragon Talk where he specifically talks about the Beast Master as the real problem that needs to be fixed. He said they don't need to toss the PHB Ranger and redesign it from scratch if the only real problem is with the Beast Master. The other Ranger subclasses, particularly the ones in XGtE, seem generally okay. I think his point was that if the Beast Master is broken, then they should focus on fixing that rather than continuing along the path of the UA Revised Ranger.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Okay, the reach of the Giant Snake is 10ft, so unless you have a box of other characters around that snake, an enemy can still reach them by taking a 5 ft step.

There are no "5 foot step" rules in this game. The Snake attacks from 10ft away and withdraws. If a foe follows, they draw an attack of opportunity from an even deadlier and closer foe. The snake has a 30' move. The game is well adjusted for this sort of tactic - after all there is an entire Rogue type of strategy built around it. It's the purpose of reach. Of course it's not perfect - NO strategy is ever perfect. But, it's pretty darn good.

So, they can be used in combat to do special things, like knock foes down (by making the attack action) or poison foes (which is just damage and is also the attack action) doing a flyby attack on foes (which is just the attack action) and those are things the ranger has a hard time doing… which means the attack action right? Because shooting an enemy with a bow for 1d8+dex mod is far more effective than doing a flyby for 3d4+1 (consider a dex mod of 4, 1d8 gives an average of 4.5 so an average of 8.5 damage. 1d4 is average of 2.5*3 7.5+1 gives us 8.5, but it is poison damage which is more likely to be resisted or ignored and the flyby has to enter melee reach while the bo can be 100 ft away)

If your plan is to be an archer, do not be a beastmaster. It's as simple as that. The Beastmaster just is not the archer subclass. There is no point to you arguing you want a melee engaged companion if you plan on keeping your ranger out of melee. Pick a strategy.

1) Then your solution is not useful for archers.

You're darn right it's not. YOU are the one demanding a melee engaged companion. You can do that - but not if you also want a ranger attacking from range. You will not get it all. You can have either melee or ranged, but the beastmaster is structured such that you cannot have both, and I happen to think that's a very smart way for them to have created it. You want a companion fighting in melee, cool. Then like the description of the sub-class says, "you gain a beast companion that accompanies you on your adventures and is trained to fight alongside you."

I don’t think this is “I want it all” to think, what use is this ability when I want to be a ranged combatant.

I do. In this game you can either be a ranged attacker or a melee attacker. You want to be both simultaneous (and you want each to be equally powerful as well). Yes, that is "I want it all" thinking. It's a beast companion. You can do all sorts of things with them outside of combat, but if you want it to do MELEE combat, then you need to fight alongside it for it to be effective. And that's a fair way to structure the class.

Nothing about Beastmaster says “You must be melee”

And nothing about the companion says "You must fight melee" either. YOU are the one demanding that your companion choose that strategy. OK, then you MUST also be melee to use it effectively.

Could you possibly explain how data on which 5e classes are the most popular is of any use to a competitor of DnD 5e?

For a competitor in beta right now about which classes to support and which to not support? I think you can figure that out.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Hexblade is ridiculously overpowered. It is the best patron for every type of Warlock. It is also devoid of theme.

Hexblade is an example where listening to the people on the internet goes horribly wrong.

The thing is, blade pact is just fine. It allows you to have a good option in melee. The pacts are minor bonuses. Even more minor than the beast master. People look at blade pact and say it is underpowered without looking at the other pacts, same with beast master.

Remove ads