D&D 5E Reworking Spell Lists (Reducing "Sameyness")

Tony Vargas

Legend
It seems odd not having Cleric with Light, though, but compromises and rethinking is needed of course. I'll update and finalize the cantrip list now.
You can let them make light in different ways:

Wizard: Dancing Lights, Continual Flame
Cleric: Light, Daylight
Druid: Produce Flame, Moonbeam.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
You can let them make light in different ways:

Wizard: Dancing Lights, Continual Flame
Cleric: Light, Daylight
Druid: Produce Flame, Moonbeam.
If we had kept Produce Flame, I would have suggested something along those lines, but since we removed all damage cantrips, it was removed as well.

Tony Vargas

Legend
If we had kept Produce Flame, I would have suggested something along those lines, but since we removed all damage cantrips, it was removed as well.
You could just remove the damage potential from it. Light fires, but not do significant fire damage to creatures, for instance.

Or, you could move a toned-down Faerie Fire to a cantrip.

I probably shouldn't point this out, but y'all are re-inventing the 4e concept of Source.

Cleric = Divine
Druid = Primal
Wizard = Arcane
Um... 4E? I've got a stack of older books with titles like Complete Arcane and Complete Divine that your hypothesis has trouble explaining.

And as far as mechanical implementation of this concept goes, the idea on this thread sounds a heck of a lot more like PF2 (where sources actually matter for spell selection) than 4E (where every class is unique irrespective of source).

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
You could just remove the damage potential from it. Light fires, but not do significant fire damage to creatures, for instance.

Or, you could move Faerie Fire to a cantrip.
I wouldn't mind removing the damage rider for Produce Flame (or even using Create Bonfire instead, but Produce Flame would represent a portable source). I think Faerie Fire would be too strong as a cantrip.

@TwoSix :

What do you think of a non-damage (or low-damage, like 1 point of fire damage) Produce Flame cantrip? We could give that to Druids, Light to Clerics, and Dancing Lights to Wizard?

Dialing it back from granting advantage to canceling disadvantage might do it. Or even just canceling obscurement effects.
It'd have to be single target. Light source, but with a smaller illumination radius than light. It could still light up invisible things, but maybe you have to throw it at them with a spell attack.

Tony Vargas

Legend
It'd have to be single target. Light source, but with a smaller illumination radius than light. It could still light up invisible things, but maybe you have to throw it at them with a spell attack.
I was thinking just illuminate the things outlined, not really shed illumination beyond them, might be cool.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases