D&D 5E Reworking Spell Lists (Reducing "Sameyness")

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Hmm. I am leaning towards #2 then. You both seem to like it well enough, even if the effect isn't as eerie or cool. :)

Actually, now that I look at it, Druidcraft already covers it:

You instantly light or snuff out a candle, a torch, or a small campfire.

As I was thinking a torch or small campfire size light.
The combination of Druidcraft and Control Flame would cover Light then, no homebrew needed. You make a stick burst into cold greenish flame with 2 quick cantrips.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Thanks! We'll keep it in mind when the Sorcerer becomes the topic, but the first priority (as I see it) is to nail down the spell lists of the Big 3. Then we have to figure out how Bard, Sorcerer, and Warlock will fit into it all.

I was mentioning it because I think any spell related to raw or uncontrolled magic or dragons should be held off from being attributed to a class until the Sorcerer is talked about. Same with Wtichy spells and Warlock. We would have to decide if will will keep them or port/create in new spells.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The combination of Druidcraft and Control Flame would cover Light then, no homebrew needed. You make a stick burst into cold greenish flame with 2 quick cantrips.
@Tony Vargas replied in post #24 about the level 1 spells. When you get a chance, let me know what your thoughts are on the dozen or so that are undecided as yet.

I was mentioning it because I think any spell related to raw or uncontrolled magic or dragons should be held off from being attributed to a class until the Sorcerer is talked about. Same with Wtichy spells and Warlock. We would have to decide if will will keep them or port/create in new spells.
It is an excellent point. When doing some of the level 1 spells I was think about some of the Sorcerer and Warlock-themed spells. For the time being, I would rather put them somewhere, and then maybe remove them and turn them into class features when we get to those classes.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
So ridiculously tedious to finally qualify for, too.
I never actually got all the way there.
I saw one in my younger highschool days and the second when in graduate college. Yeah, both took a while, the second one went further. IIRC he ended up Fighter 7, Rogue 7, Bard 11 or 12 (the second about 5 years IRL of play).

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
If you are worrying about light, 3rd edition had the spell Candlelight that was the Light spell with 5ft radius and a longer duration.

Maybe recreate it?

Tony Vargas

Legend
Still like to see Produce Flame somewhere - if not as a nerfed cantrip, then powered up into an actual spell. ;)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Still like to see Produce Flame somewhere - if not as a nerfed cantrip, then powered up into an actual spell. ;)
It's there, as a 1st level Druid spell, Burning Hands. :D

No, I know what you mean, but we are trying to work with the spells already there along with removing the damage-causing cantrips. A lot of players will be like, "WTF, Burning Hands is a WIZARD spell, bro!" but this is part of what we are trying to do, remove overlap and sameyness.

I noticed we gave Friends to Clerics, as well as Suggestion later on, so maybe Charm Person will return to Wizard, but it could also go to Druid as fey-like. That is the dilemma with this stuff and why I wanted to compare mine ant @TwoSix's list after both were done--so their would be no bias.

Tony Vargas

Legend
It's there, as a 1st level Druid spell, Burning Hands. :D

No, I know what you mean, but we are trying to work with the spells already there along with removing the damage-causing cantrips. A lot of players will be like, "WTF, Burning Hands is a WIZARD spell, bro!" but this is part of what we are trying to do, remove overlap and sameyness.
Burning Hands is a pretty iconic wizard spell. Produce Fire, OTOH, was a Druid Spell, as well as Produce Flame.

Thing is, neither Wizard (and thereby Sorcerer) nor Druid can have too many fire spells. ;)

I noticed we gave Friends to Clerics, as well as Suggestion later on, so maybe Charm Person will return to Wizard, but it could also go to Druid as fey-like. That is the dilemma with this stuff and why I wanted to compare mine ant @TwoSix's list after both were done--so their would be no bias.
Clerics got Command and, later, Enthrall. The former captures the natural authority of one who speaks for the Gods. The latter is magicked-up sermonizing.

Friends, especially the 5e version, does have a definite fey feel to it, as it'll totally get you into trouble, so does Suggestion.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Good luck with the project, and I can see your thought process in assigning things as you are.

But man are those Druid cantrips garbage from a "useful balance to all three piles" perspective.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases