D&D (2024) RIP, 2014 PHB backgrounds

Remathilis

Legend
Because getting everything you want is boring and having to make difficult decisions makes those choices much more meaningful and intriguing. There's a reason that BIFT contains the "F" - nobody is perfect. There's a reason 3e used to have ASIs of +2/-1 instead of all plusses.
Maybe D&D should return to those older trade-offs like level limits, alignment restrictions and race/class combos. It's more meaningful when a player has to choose between the potential of a 20th level human LG paladin or a 10th level CG elf fighter.

It's more meaningful when a player has to choose between the potential of a 20th level human LG paladin or a 10th level CG elf fighter.
That is, frankly, an assertion of very dubious merit, at least if you are claiming it to be some sort of truth about the game writ large.

Players and DMs find their own meaning in the play and structure of the game. (If you find meaning in those restrictions, well and good for you; I want no part of them!)

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Race-based level limits were terrible! Everybody hated them and refused to use them. Similarly, tying classes to particular races and alignments has no place in modern RP. Let DMs and players make those choices, don't try to impose them. My campaigns don't even use alignment.
That's an extraordinarily one-sided view. "Everybody" hated them? Do you speak for the gaming community? How about we focus on our own opinions, and don't assume "everybody" shares your preferences.

Remathilis

Legend
Race-based level limits were terrible! Everybody hated them and refused to use them. Similarly, tying classes to particular races and alignments has no place in modern RP. Let DMs and players make those choices, don't try to impose them. My campaigns don't even use alignment.
But you're getting everything you want! Isn't that boring? Wouldn't your game be served by making difficult decisions, like trading off power now (in the form capped levels or limited class options) for the option of choosing whatever class you want and reaching unlimited level? Is that intriguing? Isn't having to make compromises and sacrifices better than just playing what you want to play?

Can I shove my tongue any further into my cheek?

That's an extraordinarily one-sided view. "Everybody" hated them? Do you speak for the gaming community? How about we focus on our own opinions, and don't assume "everybody" shares your preferences.
While it's true that we should not assume that our own experiences are universal, there's also a principle of charity that helps online discussions go more smoothly. That is, read posts in a charitable light. For example, rather then assuming someone means literally everyone when they use that word, assume they're engaging in the type of light hyperbole that is very common in informal discussions.

Remove ads