D&D 5E RIP alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGibster

Legend
The thing is, there are almost no effects in 5e that care what your character’s alignment is, so I don’t see anything of value being lost by removing alignment altogether. Either make alignment matter, or ditch it, but trying to have it both ways isn’t working.
You win a chicken dinner. Another poster described the alignment system as vestigial because it just doesn't matter as far as most of the mechanics goes. Even Detect Good or Evil only detects certain creatures like celestials, aberrations, fiends, or fey not actually their alignment.

Scribe

Legend
You stated removing it is bad like it was a universal fact when it just isn't. Removing it may indeed improve it a lot.

Edit: I thought you meant opinion, not option.
No, I dont care what other people do, options are good.

Removal of it, is not 'option'. Its removal. One LESS option.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Speak for your self. I think it does. And so do the designers. So now what?
You don't know that. You're assuming. Personally, I think they caved in to pressure over something that could have been resolved with some verbiage at the beginning of the monster books. WotC has a history of over reaction and throwing the baby out with the bath water.

darjr

I crit!
Question, removing alignment will destroy verisimilitude or break Planescape?

Because playing and/or min/maxing alignment rules for a very specific rules set (aka D&D) != the illusion of reality or "similarity to the truth". Not to me anyway.

Scribe

Legend
You don't know that. You're assuming. Personally, I think they caved in to pressure over something that could have been resolved with some verbiage at the beginning of the monster books. WotC has a history of over reaction and throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Yep, this plus floating ASI, just another step down the road to less detail and codification.

Not looking like I'll pick up whatever edition they push next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads