D&D 5E RIP alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

darjr

I crit!
I have opinions on whether or not that system produces good outcomes, but that’s not really Germaine to the discussion right now. What matters is, I think they’re making the decision that makes the most sense to them for the market they’re working in.
Also, I think, many of the folks at WotC are sympathetic to the people who brought up these issues and have decided to reflect their own desires as well.

I would honestly rather get rid of all intelligent monsters (other than extraplanar beings like demons and such) than get rid of alignment. That's how strongly I feel about.

I've also gone from never caring much about orcs to being frustrated by their existence ruining everything.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
No I wont, because there wont be Alignment. :)

Difference between a Pit Fiend, and a Balor?

Alignment.
Really? Cause looking at the stat blocks alone, I see a lot of differences that have nothing to do with alignment. Also, reading their descriptions, I see a lot of differences too. In fact, I’m pretty sure if you removed the alignments from their stat blocks and changed nothing else, most folks wouldn’t even notice.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The "option" here all just comes down to this:

You leave default alignments in a monster or NPC statblock and players have the option of ignoring them...

or

You remove default alignments in a monster or NPC statblock and players have the option of adding one back in (if they recognize the monster or and/or do pretty standard reading comprehension of what the monster or NPC is doing.)

One of these ways makes certain older players happy... the ones who don't like change. The other lessens the possibility that some new players decide to pick up the game because the default racial tropes are not to their liking.

Now which group do you honestly think WotC is concerned about more? The group of older players who already know how to add/subtract/ignore stuff in their games they do or don't want to use and who will play the game anyway regardless of any minor hoops they are asked to jump through... or the new players who haven't even picked up the game yet and possibly won't because of outdated tropes that they find unacceptable?

I think we all know the answer to this. If grognard 2E players who really loved THAC0 still moved on to playing 5E, and 3E players who really loved having hundreds of feats moved on to playing 5E, and 4E players who really loved having 4 defenses and healing surges moved on to playing 5E... now are being asked to "remember" from all their games past that oh yeah, 'undead are evil' even if it doesn't say so in the statblock... I'm fairly confident they're the ones that WotC will ask to make the "grand sacrifice", rather hope against hope the new players will still start the game even if they don't like the things that are represented in it.

Really? Cause looking at the stat blocks alone, I see a lot of differences that have nothing to do with alignment. Also, reading their descriptions, I see a lot of differences too. In fact, I’m pretty sure if you removed the alignments from their stat blocks and changed nothing else, most folks wouldn’t even notice.
When I started playing and running D&D, I didn't know or understand the difference between demons and devils or why they were at odds.

Now that I do, I find them, the Blood War, and everything surrounding it much more interesting and feel it gives me a lot to work with as a DM.

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
In Tome of Undeath there are no listed alignments (also no ability scores, just modifiers, lol) and all the GMs who helped me to playtest it.... Didn't notice either before I pointed it out.

Idk what does that prove, but it was funny.

Scribe

Legend
The "option" here all just comes down to this:

You leave default alignments in a monster or NPC statblock and players have the option of ignoring them...

or

You remove default alignments in a monster or NPC statblock and players have the option of adding one back in (if they recognize the monster or and/or do pretty standard reading comprehension of what the monster or NPC is doing.)
Which takes less work and effort?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads