Rogue's bonus damage and multiple attacks

Dire Wolf

First Post
This question came up in our last gaming session. Does a rogue get their bonus sneak attack damage on each attack if flanking an opponent and successfully hitting with more that one attack (2 weapon fighting, or simply high enough level to get 2 attacks)?

Staffan

Legend
Yes. Any attack that fulfills the requirements for a sneak attack gets sneak attack bonus damage. That goes both for multiple attacks while flanking, and for multiple attacks when the opponent is denied Dex bonus (though in many cases the rogue has to move up first, so he only gets one attack before it's the opponent's turn).

ledded

Herder of monkies
Yes, this is one of the main reasons why my 12th level fighter has mobility, spring attack, blind-fight, and stuff to increase movement. If there are high level rogues nearby, especially if they are invisible, never, ever stop moving.

Darklone

ledded said:
Yes, this is one of the main reasons why my 12th level fighter has mobility, spring attack, blind-fight, and stuff to increase movement. If there are high level rogues nearby, especially if they are invisible, never, ever stop moving.
Well, one AoO plus an extra attack by Expert Tactician (prerequisite: generous DM) might hurt as well... :D

Voadam

Legend
Staffan said:
Yes. Any attack that fulfills the requirements for a sneak attack gets sneak attack bonus damage. That goes both for multiple attacks while flanking, and for multiple attacks when the opponent is denied Dex bonus (though in many cases the rogue has to move up first, so he only gets one attack before it's the opponent's turn).

Correct, but note that certain abilities (multishot feat) specifically show exceptions to this rule (the multiple arrows count as one attack so only one application of sneak attack there).

ledded

Herder of monkies
Darklone said:
Well, one AoO plus an extra attack by Expert Tactician (prerequisite: generous DM) might hurt as well... :D

Well I forgot to mention expertise as well... funny thing is, my fighter (a samurai type) has been in this situation a number of times, and will go expertise full plus mobility and if he's not trying to attack, just get away, will even go partial defensive. It's the only time he doesnt get smacked around. It has frustrated our DM on numerous occasions because he will literally wade through a hallway full of underlings, unharmed, then start smacking on the big baddie in the back; he has been particularly lucky on a number of occasions, almost as if the dice bless him when he does these stupid things. Of course, as soon as he stands still, he gets his just due, but as a good samurai, he believes that a good offense often negates the need for a good defense ;)

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
ledded,

I like your style.

rjmc64,

I used to be a strong believer that giving the Rogue multiple sneak attacks would be too powerful. I changed my mind. By the time you will see really potent combos, there are plenty of countermeasures available (Blur, fogs, armor w/Fortification, super high ACs, summoned critters w/Scent, etc.) to a similar level opponent. It is nontrivial to set up multiple sneak attacks without leaving yourself vulnerable to attack.

wocky

Masterwork Jabberwock
Ridley's Cohort said:
I used to be a strong believer that giving the Rogue multiple sneak attacks would be too powerful. I changed my mind.

Yeap... one of my characters is a Wiz 5/Rog 5 halfling that relies heavily on the Blink spell, which allows him pretty much to Sneak Attack every time... on top of that, Expert Tactician allows me to Sneak twice every time. Still... it's quite on par (if not below) a pure 10th level fighter, or my other character: a 10th level Evoker with spontaneous casting of fireballs (courtesy of the Signature Spell feat).

Granted, he's quite good at assassinations... but kind of worthless again huge opponents like big spiders, dragons and stuff... or anything that is not vulnerable to sneak attacks.

ledded

Herder of monkies
Ridley's Cohort said:
ledded,

I like your style.

rjmc64,

I used to be a strong believer that giving the Rogue multiple sneak attacks would be too powerful. I changed my mind. By the time you will see really potent combos, there are plenty of countermeasures available (Blur, fogs, armor w/Fortification, super high ACs, summoned critters w/Scent, etc.) to a similar level opponent. It is nontrivial to set up multiple sneak attacks without leaving yourself vulnerable to attack.

Thanks ;)

Having been in situations where I was surrounded by rogues or being attacked by invisible assassins, being extremely good with my katana (high str + bulls str + power attack + keen sword = insane damage potential) while being hard to surround for very long takes the wind out of their sails and evens it up a little. You should have seen the DM's face the first time I was attacked by an invisble assassin who hit me (made the fort save), when on my turn he realized that I had blind fight, good spot/listen skills, and 2 nasty attacks. He changed his mind about that whole 'lets sneak up and jab the fighter' routine. Of course, I ended up chasing the little bugger down and grappling him, eventually killing him by pile-driving him into the ground while in a grapple from the top of a 20' wall.

By picking a nice combination of feats, I have the total whirlwind attacking slicing/dicing/puree-ing samurai of death without having to take any silly samurai prestige classes.

Remove ads