Rokugan RPG fantasy setting conversion for D&DNext (preliminary thoughts)

Sanglorian

Adventurer
I am uncertain about whether they'd better be skills or tools. My guess is that you definitely need some tool for tending to a bonsai, landscaping a garden, or prepare tea. OTOH you don't need any tool for ikebana as far as I know. You may create origami from origami paper, but you can also improvise them with normal paper, and calligraphy may apply also to writing with carbon, chalk or even on the sand.

These are just thoughts. Truth is that it doesn't matter that much whether technically they are skills or tools, also because these are skills that are probably rarely used (except tea ceremony which has its own pseudo-magic effects in-game). But somehow I'll have to make a choice for presenting these options to the players.

I'm interpretting "tool" quite loosely - I think proficiency in a calligraphy kit should cover anything that's used to draw calligraphy - and I'd rule the same for origami paper. I guess my thought is that a skill is a fair bit bigger than a tool proficiency, and I'm not sure that Calligraphy or Bonsai could ever be the equal of Athletics or Perception - but they could definitely be competitive with proficiency in the lute or card games.

I thought about the first idea, but it won't work IMO because a background is a fixed set of proficiencies. I don't want all Cranes or all Daidoji family members to end up with exactly the same skills proficiencies. Well, they still get 2 skills from class, but my point is that I don't want everyone in a clan - which is thousands of people at least - to have those 2 skills + 2 tools or languages. I think it's too restrictive.

About ancestor feats, if you mean for them to replace the background's "feature", it's probably ok even tho typically the latter is a downtime benefit. As a general principle, I'd like to try and keep things as close as possible to 5e default rules, so if I find enough backgrounds with applicable feature, I would prefer to re-use those.

Why not present the Daidoji background but then let players swap out elements that they don't want for others? The Daidoji background could represent the archetypal Daidoji, but then there'd be variation. (You could even require something to be swapped out, so there is literally no one who exactly matches the archetype, everyone deviates from it in some way).

Yeah, I was thinking of ancestor feats replacing the feature. I'm not sure what they contain - aren't there some that provide out-of-combat benefits?

Li Shenron

Legend
Why not present the Daidoji background but then let players swap out elements that they don't want for others? The Daidoji background could represent the archetypal Daidoji, but then there'd be variation. (You could even require something to be swapped out, so there is literally no one who exactly matches the archetype, everyone deviates from it in some way).

It might work if saying e.g. that each clan background has a list of skills, and you have to pick at least one, while the second is free choice. But that's the same as what I'm doing with including clan in the human variant race.

I can think about it, if the presentation works better with clans as backgrounds, and then just use the human variant race as-is. If something doesn't need to change compared to 5e Basic, that's a positive thing. In my first idea, I keep backgrounds rules the same (using the "custom backgrounds" option as the only option) but I change how the human race works, in your alternative it's the other way around.

Yeah, I was thinking of ancestor feats replacing the feature. I'm not sure what they contain - aren't there some that provide out-of-combat benefits?

The majority of them grants fiddly bits in combat or skills, which isn't great in 5e. There are tons of them however (certainly more than a hundred), so I'm positive that I can find at least 20-30 of them that can be used in 5e, but I don't expect them to resemble the loose (more narrative than mechanical) benefits of backgrounds' features.

Li Shenron

Legend
This is how it would look following your idea, using a made-up family of an undisclosed clan.

Just notice that actually I am making Background = Family rather than Clan. I think this is better both because clans are too large and always have everyone in them (every clan has samurai, shugenjas etc...), while families are smaller and have a stronger orientation, and also because in d20 Rokugan it was the choice of family which was linked to bonus skills (while Clan only determined which feats, spells or other class-based abilities you had access to).

Background (Family): Kobayashi

Feature: you gain any one Ancestor feat*
Skills: gain proficiency** in two skills of choice between Persuasion, Deception, Investigation and Insight
Tools and languages: gain proficiency** in two of the following: calligraphy tools, musical instrument(any), tea ceremony sets, or any language
Equipment: gain two of the following: masterwork calligraphy tools, masterwork musical instrument or masterwork tea ceremony set

*this could be the default for all backgrounds/families
**or gain expertise if you already have proficiency

I might try first to set the skills and tools/languages to 2 fixed each (no choice), and from there to see how it goes. Each character still has 3 or more skills anyway, 2 from class (chosen from a list) and 1 from human variant race (completely free choice), so the variety is guaranteed.

I really want to keep at least the possibility of "stacking" proficiencies into expertise because in Rokugan many characters are supposed to become undisputed masters in their chosen art. This could be done also with feats, but I think it's easier this way.

Non-human characters won't be able to choose family backgrounds but will have tribe backgrounds (nezumi) or bloodline backgrounds (naga).

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

GreenTengu

Adventurer
I'm sorry, I don't mean to derail your thread, but... since it is here, I'd like to make a short commentary.

There was a point, years ago, when I was a fan of L5R. In that I bought all the RPG books, I spent hundreds of dollars on cards and played at least twice a month, buying cards online to make thematic decks. I read all the stories that AEG wrote and released.

Thing is, certainly aspects of this whole fictional world started to feel quite wrong to me. And as time went on, I studied Japanese language, culture, history-- I've read the Tales of Heike and I've studied the various periods of history with more than a passing familiarity on the Sengoku period and the Edo period in particular-- the time at which L5R is generally mostly based. I have lived in Japan for four years and been to many historical sites across the country.

At this point I can hardly stand this setting. The fundamental... well... I'm not sure what sort of ignorance it is. Racist? Orientalism? Just... the outsiders perspective, removing the humanity from the foreign culture and turning them into caricatures, removing the elements that are similar to the European culture and exaggerating the otherness and basically positing a number of negative things about Japanese in general.. it is kind of impossible to ignore and very irritating.

I know the knee-jerk reaction of someone who has decided to be a fanatic of the setting, as I am sure any person attempting to convert it to a new RPG system almost certainly is, would be to try to deny any of this and stalwartly defend it whether right or wrong, but... before you spend any more energy on this project, I'd like you to consider a few things.

The first is the easiest. Consider the brutally strict feudalism and class structure, the forced marriages and the sexism. None of this was any different in Japan than in any European country. All European countries were precisely the same. So why is it that when one goes to create a fantastical European setting, these truths are buried and forgotten but when one goes to approach a world based on a foreign culture these aspects are heavily exaggerated and made central thematic elements? These elements are clearly seen as negative traits or we would find them as heavily enforced in European settings. But they aren't. Ever. AEG made a European setting and didn't include them as part of it at all. There seems to be an agenda to say that THOSE people are inhuman like that, but WE are far more enlightened than them.

It is worth noting that the man who united Japan at the end of the Sengoku period was a man who was born a peasant, and changed his name three times. There was no serious strict class system until he took control of the country. And, also worth noting, Japan has an unbroken imperial line that stretches back a thousand years. One did not conquer the country by killing the "demon-infested" Emperor, sitting upon his throne and declaring yourself Emperor with the heavens blessing this and erasing the imperial name from history. You conquered the country by taking control of the Imperial palace and turning the Emperor into your puppet.

It is a major theme in Rokugan that Japanese resolve absolutely everything with personal direct violence and hold such personal direct violence in higher regard than anything else. A person's worth is measured purely by their ability to do personal direct violence with a sword better than any other person. One becomes a good duelist and they can waltz around the country, demanding a duel with anyone who so much as irks them and the person must respond by either accepting the duel and getting killed or immediately killing themself. And this is posited as the was Japanese people handle their political affairs. Which cannot help but paint them as lowly, stupid brutes who care only about one's ability to chop people apart with swords.
Of course, this could not be further from the truth. Duelists existed in history, but nothing of much worth or note was ever resolved through dueling. Japanese are just as intelligent, thoughtful, aware people as any other. And they know that one is not simply right and never determined the "truth" based on the outcome of a sword fight. Such things did not prove one's ability to lead or manage the land. The only thing it proved was that one's sword fighting style was better. Duels were generally done between heads of fighting academies (and not all sword fighting! Japanese used other weapons!!). If you won the duel, then you'd gain prestige and maybe more students would flock to your school. It was like a sporting competition, only sometimes with life and death on the line.
But NEVER was any governor or magistrate challenged by a renowned sword fighter and had to choose between accepting and being killed or ritualistic suicide. One's "honor" was not harmed in the least by recognizing that someone else was a fiercer warrior and just walking away with nothing more to say about it. Particularly if fighting wasn't your primary role.
And the ritualistic suicide? Happened only ever when one was forced into it after being defeated by an enemy since there were more painful and horrifying ways to die and you wouldn't have your corpse desecrated or your relatives slaughtered or it was done as a very extreme form of political protest. Japanese warriors were never at any point greatly eager to cut themselves open at the first time they ever made any mistake or failed at anything or lost a battle. There were many samurai who lost many, many battles and ultimately gave up and JOINED the people they were fighting against. Yeah-- samurai could do that. You didn't wear a color-coded uniform and forced to stick to one clan for your entire life. Samurai regularly jumped ship to other clans. In fact, part of the spoils of victory was to steal your enemy's best surviving generals and warriors.

The setting posits that Japanese people are incapable of advancement or change in any way, shape or form. Not culturally, not technologically, not artistically. A major point in the setting that Japanese people never change, that they are all style and no awareness of substance. That they will continue to do things in an ineffective, costly, bad way simply because it is "traditional" and the "way it has always been done". Of course, this is wildly off-base. Japanese have almost always been very ready and willing to both adopt and then advance anything that they see. Even in the period where they were supposedly steady (the Tokugawa period) they made really amazing leaps forward artistically and culturally. They even had the first mass-producing color print method.
Instead, in Rokugan-- it is said that absolutely nothing in the nation ever changed one iota in over 1,000 years and that everyone would rather die than to do anything in a creative, interesting or new way-- and that anyone who suggests or tries anything new is quickly turned on and put to death. It is suggested that at a time when the land is under constant assault with demons, undead and monsters that the samurai INSISTED on disarming nearly their entire populace leaving them completely vulnerable and then simultaneously stubbornly refused to use the most advanced or effective weapons, insisting on using the old methods no matter how many lives it cost.
Again, how can this be seen as anything other than slander against Japanese people? Was there a point at which Japan disarmed its peasants and outlawed gun powder? Yes, but ONLY after the entire land was completely united under a single leader and they were confident that there were no more outside threats. In fact, they actually shipped most of their samurai out of the country to go conquer Korea so that they wouldn't fight among themselves. At the time they were primarily concerned about uprisings-- either by the peasants or by governors who might try to restart the mass war that the country had just recovered from. There is no justification or excuse for it in Rokugan beyond "Japanese aren't intelligent people like us, they will stubbornly insist on doing things wrong. We are so much more enlightened than them."

Samurai are posited to constantly charge the enemy head-on without any attempt to resort to tactics of any sort. They would never do anything remotely sneaky or break the etiquette of battle (unless they are in a clan with an insect icon). They will just stubbornly attack the enemy recklessly and foolishly, but they gain great bonuses from doing so because they are supreme fighters when doing this!! And.... the truth?...
Two of the most iconic and famous samurai, samurai that all others ought to be measured on, are Minamoto Yoshitsune and Sanada Yukimura. Minamoto Yoshitsune won many battles against superior forces by doing such underhanded tactics such as attacking enemies in the city during the dead of night, leading his troops on horseback down a steep mountainside to assault the enemy rank from the rear and shooting the unarmored peasant oarsmen in the enemy boats instead of at the enemy warriors. Sanda Yukimura famously had female assassins working for him who would seduce and then murder his enemies when they let their guard down. And that is nothing compared to the treachery and cunning of some famous samurai, particularly Oda Nobunaga.
If no actual samurai, much less the most iconic and famous, would be capable of living up to the samurai code you want to posit all samurai live by, then there is something seriously messed up about your samurai code and your general idea of what you want to label a "samurai". Once your definition has precluded the finest examples of something, it is no longer usable as a definition.

And those are probably the big slanders against Japan. There are minor irksome things....

The idea that Japanese people run around in color-coded uniforms.
The idea that Japanese people name themselves after animals or aspire to be like animals and base their personalities, behaviors and fighting styles after the animal their clan's iconic spirit animal.
Names were not neatly divided by clan nor did everyone in a particular clan all look alike. People who were relatives (even brothers!) could easily end up fighting on opposites sides of a war. It did not require special Imperial decree for someone to change their name or start a new family-- many samurai changed their name a few times. And Samurai names were generally 4-syllable names made up of two kanji, one of which was usually taken from the father.

Granted, perhaps these things were done simply to make the setting easier for those unfamiliar with Japanese things to get into it. But... really... what would you think if you had a setting that was based in Europe but insisted that everyone wore kilts and sashes. And there was this warrior named "Bugsy Bunny" who was a member of the "Bunny Clan" and his fighting style with his bastard sword (because ALL warriors use bastard swords all the time! Don't you know it is the ultimate super weapon that puts all weapons to shame?! The bastard sword has been passed down through his family for generations!) is totally based on a bunny's speed and ferocity and you can easily identify Bugsy as a member of the Bunny Clan because he is always tearing his white and pink tartan kilt and scarf and his half-plate armor is also painted bright white and pink. Oh, and it is written by Chinese people who've never even been to Europe for longer than maybe a month and don't know the first two things about European history.

And.... finally... the katana. Oh, the katana. Oh god... the katana. Do I even need to?... Ugh...
The katana was not the be all, end all symbol of the samurai. At least not until samurai stopped functionally being a thing and were more just a ceremonial position. It is not a super weapon. It is not flat out, hands down THE perfect weapon to use in every single situation and anyone who uses anything else is just asking to lose. Samurai never used them to the exclusion of all other weapons. Samurai used bows, polearms, and guns as often or more often than katanas. There were people famous for all sorts of other weapons.
Were katana good? Well, sure. As good as any other sword. But the best thing about them compared to other swords was simply that they didn't break. The swords they used prior to them broke all the time.
But, perhaps more importantly... katana do not cut through armor as though it were paper mache. And whatever work and craftsmen ship and expense goes into a katana?... It's nothing compared to the lacquered scalemail of a Japanese traditional suit of armor. It is the armor that saves a samurai in battle, not the sword. The reason swords ever became the ceremonial symbol was because the armor was just so unbelievably expensive to own, maintain and keep. But while samurai still had a real chance of seeing battle, it should be the armor they treasure well above the sword, the armor that is passed down through the generations-- katana may not be cheap, but for a samurai getting a new one is not THAT big of a deal. In fact, if a samurai was going to use a sword (probably against untrained and badly armed bandits or peasants), they would probably keep a few extra around for when the first one got bent out of shape.

Now, maybe one wants to say "well... well.... they say Rokugan ISN'T Japan, so.. nyeh!"
But, come on. Really?
They use Japanese names ONLY Japanese names. They use Japanese words for things there are perfectly fine English words for. They call their warriors "samurai" and have something called "ninja" though it couldn't be further removed from the real thing. They have things remotely resembling Buddhist and Shinto religions. They use Japanese art style, they try to make their weapons and armor look as close to Japanese as possible. In other words, that is a poor excuse. The thing they are saying about the people of their land are things they are heavily implying are true about Japanese because whereever a gap is, it is filled with whatever is true of Japanese-- at least from a total fetishistic foreigner's perspective.

Look, this ended up being way longer than I needed it to be, but I hope that some of this allowed you to see another perspective and hopefully reconsider things. I don't need to see a big rebuttal. I know you want to immediately reject everything I said right away without actually considering it... but if you read it, maybe at least internally once you stop attributing these thoughts to an "outsider" to an "enemy" then you'll maybeLook, this ended up being way longer than I needed it to be, but I hope that some of this allowed you to see another perspective and hopefully reconsider things. I don't need to see a big rebuttal. I know you want to immediately reject everything I said right away without actually considering it... but if you read it, maybe at least internally once you stop attributing these thoughts to an "outsider" to an "enemy" and maybe have them spontaneously occur to yourself, you might find them easier to relate with or something.

My main purpose in writing this was to say.... it's all good and fine to have a fantasy setting inspired by Japan. In fact, I kind of want to create a Japanese/Korean/Chinese inspired fantasy world myself. But... you know... if you are going to go through all the effort of converting something then... you know... why use Rokugan? Why use a setting so fundamentally based on slanderous and untrue orientalisms? You are practically exerting about the same amount of dedicated effort necessary to create your own world anyway... so why not do so? Why not try to make a Japanese-inspired fantasy world of your own that could... at least attempt not to be so offensive? I swear, you could do better than Rokugan!

In fact, anyone who set out to make the world first and foremost to be used for a RPG rather than first and foremost to be the setting of a cardgame and war game would probably do better. Because some of the things I listed are probably directly derived from trying to create the aspects of the world in a way to justify the mechanical oddities inherent in a card game rather than being what would naturally arise and grow if you were designing it to match the mechanics of an RPG or just creating it in a more organic and natural way.

A good example is the duels. For the purposes of the card game, duels needed to be a "accept death or the whole family loses honor points" kind of thing. That was the mechanic decided for the "duel" card in the card game. Issue being that taking that mechanic and throwing it into an RPG world or a literary world and suddenly it is ludicrous and can only come across as anti-Japanese when one attempts to justify it.

Li Shenron

Legend
Samurai

The first PC class is the easiest: the Samurai

I was going to design this class as a spin-off of the Fighter, but I couldn't help but notice that practically everything in the Fighter class is already appropriate for the samurai as well, with only minor adjustments needed!

In general, I would expect the Rokugan Samurai to be a well-educated noble warrior, which in 3e meant that the class needed definitely more skill points than the Fighter. However, 5e characters already get more skills as a baseline: 2 from class + 2 from background + 1 human. This should be enough.

These are the only few tweaks I'd do to change the Fighter into a Samurai:

- remove heavy armor proficiency
- remove shield proficiency
- allow protection fighting style to work without a shield
- add Battle and Iaijutsu to class skills list, remove Survival

The reason for these is that heavy armor and shields are rarely used anyway.

Then the matter is, what kind of subclasses should be available?

Some examples on the top of my head:
- Champion is so generic that should be appropriate also in Rokugan
- Battlemaster is also generic, so OK but available maneuvers depend on Clan
- Iaijutsu master, if there were a Duelist subclass in the PHB, it could be based off that; alternatively this could be a feat, if we want it available to all classes
- Ancestral daisho might seem a weird choice, but IMO it will work perfectly as a subclass

Li Shenron

Legend
Courtier

Time to start drafting the more difficult base classes... let's try with the Courtier, starting off from the 3e class and see what we have to change.

1) General class features:

Hit Dice: 1d6 per Courtier level

2) Proficiencies:

Armor: None
Weapons: Simple weapons and wakizashi
Tools: Choose two from any artisan's tools, gaming sets, musical instruments, fine arts tools (see previous post on skills & tools), and languages
Saving throws: Wisdom, Charisma
Skills: Choose four from Deception, Etiquette*, History, Insight, Intimidation, Investigation, Perception, Performance and Persuasion

*this may or may not be needed in the game (could be part of Persuasion or a different skill)

3) This is how the level-based table for the Courtier may look like after my considerations and adjustments:

Code:
1st	Expertise, Wealth
2nd	Cunning Action, Retainers
3rd	Gossip, subclass feature
4th	Ability Score Improvement
5th	Courtier Ability
6th	Expertise
7th	Versatile, subclass feature
8th	Ability Score Improvement
9th	Courtier Ability
10th	Leadership (Yojimbo)
11th	Reliable Talent, subclass feature
12th	Ability Score Improvement
13th	Courtier Ability
14th	The Heart Speaks
15th	Versatile, subclass feature
16th	Ability Score Improvement	
17th	Courtier Ability
18th	The Immovable Hand of Peace
19th	Ability Score Improvement	
20th	Courtier Ability

Now a list of explanations, and how I came to the results above.

- Expertise: same as Rogue, replaces Talent and Style & Grace (basically bonuses to Cha checks), seemed more appropriate to fit with 5e
- Wealth: same as 3e Courtier, this is just bonus money, a minor feature
- Cunning Action: same as Rogue, added to represent the Courtier's tendency to avoid combat
- Retainers: added, same as Noble background trait
- Gossip: changed from 3e Courtier, now allows Investigation checks without spending any time, but still has % chance of mislead
- Courtier Abilities: same as 3e Courtier (but adjusted levels), this is a series of Courtier-only special features, many of which will be Clan-restricted; the 3e Courtier gets 6 during 20 levels, I decided to lower the number because many of those may not be applicable anymore due to bounded accuracy
- Versatile: changed from 3e Courtier (also adjusted levels, and only twice instead of 4 times) this used to add more skills to your class list; I'm thinking to replace that with either 1 additional skill proficiency or 2 tools/languages proficiencies
- Leadership: moved up 1 level from 3e Courtier, might also be revised compared to the original 3e feat
- Reliable Talent: added, same as Rogue
- The Heart Speaks: moved up 2 levels from 3e Courtier and changed, used to allow Take 20 on Sense Motive, I'm replacing this with advantage on all Insight checks*
- The Immovable Hand of Peace: same as 3e Courtier, might need save DC adjustment (this is similar to a Sanctuary spell at will, more difficult to resist but self-only)

*actually this is not impressive at all... at 14th level I might actually just keep the automatic 20 as in 3e

It's hard for me to assess the power balance of this class. It's very much non-combat-oriented.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Shugenja

Last class to design at the moment, since I''ll wait for the final version of the Monk, is the Shugenja.

The original 3e class is practically entirely about spells, and so is the 5e Wizard, therefore the simplest design choice is just use the current Wizard as a basis, and do a few modifications.
The Shugenja spell list will obviously need to be designed later.

As a matter of fact, the 3e Shugenja cast spells as a Sorcerer, but the 5e Wizard itself is more similar to a 3e Sorcerer (with the ability to swap the known list spells every day) rather than a 3e Wizard, so it might be fine to use the default spellcasting rules.

So here is the list of modifications to the Wizard class to turn it into a Shugenja class.

1) General class features:

Hit Dice: 1d6 per Shugenja level (same as in 3e, same as 5e Wizard)

Spellcasting ability: Charisma

2) Proficiencies:

Armor: None
Weapons: Simple weapons and wakizashi
Tools: None
Languages: Kami
Saving throws: Wisdom, Charisma*
Skills: Choose two from Arcana, Concentration, History, Maho, Medicine, Nature, Persuasion, Religion

*not sure if this would better be Intelligence

3) Element Focus, 1st level feature

This is essentially the choice of your favored element (Air, Earth, Fire or Water). It's important to note that most spells fall into one of the four elements, so not only spells that create fire are Fire spells in Rokugan, but many other spells might be. For example, healing spells are Water spells. Only a minority (maybe 20%) of spells are general and don't belong to any element. Then there are also Void spells and Maho spells but they have special requirements and most PC never learn them.

In 3e the choice of element meant:

a- Spell Focus, +2 DC on spells of your chosen element
b- cannot learn spells of the opposite element
c- must have at least 50% known spells from chosen element
d- (optionally) spellcasting ability can be element-based instead of Charisma

The "a+b" meant e.g. a Water Shugenja cast water spells with +2 DC, Air and Earth spells at normal DC, and cannot cast Fire spells. I am thinking about replacing this with being proficient with spells of your favored element and non-proficient with spells of the other elements, but I wonder if "b" can be entirely dropped -> TBD

"c" has to be considered in the perspective of 5e spellcasting rules, and thus it better become "at least half of your prepared spells each day must belong to your chosen element".

"d" can remain an option. In this case, it might be also possible to make saving throws proficiency change with favored element, e.g. Air = Dex+Cha, Fire = Dex+Int, Water = Wis+Str, Earth = Con+Cha.

Note: since the chosen element is associated to the chosen Shugenja School, Elemental Focus can be described as part of that

4) Sense Elements, 1st level feature

This is mostly ok, except that it originally used Spellcraft checks. I don't think Arcana are actually that appropriate, Concentration checks sound better to me. Otherwise unchanged.

5) Spellbook vs Ofuda

The Shugenja uses Ofuda (permanent scrolls) instead of a Spellbook, and they also work as focus for spellcasting.

In 3e Shugenja couldn't freely add spells to their known list as in a Spellbook, so I think it should stay that way in 5e.

Notice however that 1 additional spell per spell level is known from the School of choice.

6) Cantrips & Rituals

I think we're safe with the default 5e known cantrips progression and general Rituals rules.

Notice that one additional cantrip is known from the School of choice.

7) Arcane Recovery, 1st level feature

Undecided if this should be kept as-is or removed entirely, mostly because we've added a few minor things to the class at 1st level (slightly better weapon prof, sense elements) but perhaps those are not enough to require to remove something from the Wizard base. If something needs removing, Arcane Recovery will be. -> TBD

8) Spell Mastery and Signature Spells, high level features

Since these fill two otherwise "empty" levels, it's easier to just let them stay, they are so generic that they can't be inappropriate.

9) Shugenja School and subclasses

My first idea was to have subclasses represent the chosen School, however this means all Shugenja from the same clan will have the same subclass, so I currently thinking that School and subclass will be two different choices.

School in 3e determined bonus known spells and favored element, and this can also be the case in 5e.

But independently from this, we can let subclass represent other cases, including both specializations across all schools (e.g. re-using the Evocation tradition of the Wizard is fine, just ignore the ability related to the Spellbook) and clan-restricted specializations (among which there can be some adaptation of 3e prestige classes or feat chains).

edit: some rethinking applied

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Spells

I've started to compile a list Rokugan spells list, but it's premature, considering that the Basic D&D spells list is limited and many more spells may appear in the PHB.

Basically the idea is simple:

- if a spell in the Rokugan 3e list also appears in 5e (Basic or PHB) then it can easily go into the Rokugan 5e list, using the 5e version of it of course; unless the spell is changed to the point of being inappropriate for the setting, which I doubt it will ever happen

- the spell's type (air, earth, fire, water, general, void or maho) can be taken from the 3e list

When doing this with only Basic D&D available, there is immediately an issue related to the lack of enough spells of each element at every level. As I mentioned in the previous post however, I'm going to change the original 3e requirement that "a Shugenja must have at least 50% of their known spells belonging to their favored element" with "a Shugenja must have at least 50% of their prepared spells belonging to their favored element", so there isn't a need for an enormous number of spells. Still, the Shugenja is going to learn 3 per class level (6 per spell level typically) so my target is to have at least 3 spells of each element at each spell level

Once the PHB is released, I can check how short I am on such target, and complete the list in the following ways:

- take spells from the Rokugan 3e list that aren't in 5e, check them one-by-one for consistency with bounded accuracy and general 5e design ideas (e.g. no spells that boost ability scores); if only minor changes are needed, import the spell to the 5e list

- check each imported spell to see if it needs to require concentration

- check each imported spell to see if it can be a ritual (but don't make too many rituals, keep the rate similar to 5e in general)

- take a look at novel 5e spells that did not exist in 3e, and see if they fit well enough with the Shugenja's general concepts, and add them as-is to the Rokugan 5e list

What I want to avoid, is to take spells that are both in D&D 3e and 5e, but were excluded from d20 Rokugan, because it's easy to overlook the reason why.

Li Shenron

Legend
Update to skills & tools list

Still work in progress, but I have updated the lists of Skills and Tools.

The sign "+" means added from the default Basic list.
The sign "*" means using this skill/tool is often dishonorable.

Skills

Acrobatics
Animal Handling
Arcana
+Architecture and Engineering
Athletics
+Battle
+Concentration
Deception*
+Etiquette
+Geography
+Ghost Lore
+Iaijutsu
History
Insight
Intimidation
Investigation
+Maho
Medicine*
Nature
Perception
Performance:
+Bugaku (Dance)
+Kabuki (Theatre)
+Otoshibanashi (Storytelling)
+Waka (Poetry)​
Persuasion
Religion
+Shadowlands Lore
Sleight of Hand*
Stealth
Survival
+Tea Ceremony

Tools

Note the slight rearrangement of some artisan's tools under "fine arts tools". Not a big deal, but I'll use the difference to simplify the descriptions of background, just think artisan's tools more about crafting something and fine arts tools more about decorating or arranging something.

Artisan's tools:
Alchemist's supplies
Cartographer's tools
Glassblower's tools
Jeweler's tools
Potter's tools
Smith's tools
Weaver's tools
Woodcarver's tools​
Gaming sets:
+Go (strategy board)
+Hanafuda (cards)
+Shogi (chess)
+Sugoroku (dice & board)​
Herbalism kit
Maquillage kit (renamed from Disguise kit)
Musical instruments:
+Biwa (lute)
+Kokyuu (bowed)
+Koto (zither)
+Kugo (harp)
+Nohkan (flute, transverse)
+Shakuhachi (flute, vertical)
+Shamisen (banjo)
+Taiko (drums)​
Navigator's tools
Poisoner's kit*
+Tattoos kit
Thieves' tools*
Vehicles, land
Vehicles, water
Fine arts tools:
+Bonsai
Calligrapher's supplies (moved from artisan's tools)
Cook's utensils (moved from artisan's tools)
+Ikebana^
+Kakemono (hanging scrolls)
+Landscape Gardening
+Origami^
Painter's tools (moved from artisan's tools)​

Last edited:

Remove ads