Romeroesque zombies

megasycophant

First Post
I'm toying with the idea of creating a World War Z themed campaign (but set in nearly the classic D&D setting). As well as general ideas (Shadowfell tie-in?), I'm soliciting ideas on how to make the "head-kill"/mutilatable zombies work.

I really like Zombie Weakness and Zombie Grab, thought it would obviously be insane to require a critical for a kill. My dilemma really comes down to translating into game terms the requirement for the head kill and things like cutting off limbs/torsos in half while sticking to the spirit of the rules, not introducing (or minimizing the introduction of) things like aimed shots and hit location tables. Admittedly, the hit point damage system as defined doesn't translate directly into physical damage, so it would work, but I'd like to have some rules crunch that adds to the flavor. I've been looking through the MM for creatures/powers to model this after but having no luck so far. Perhaps I could apply movement or other modifiers to zombies which have become bloodied.

From a campaign perspective, I've also gotta figure out the implications of having clerics around and how turning applies to these George zombies. (Perhaps they're victims of a natural disease, not really undead, so not affected by turning?) Seems like in a magical world, containment would be much easier, so this bears some pondering.

Tehnai

First Post
Well, the zombie weakness illustrates the beheading zombie thing pretty well. It's tough to behead something right in the middle of a combat situation.

As far as dismemberment and zombies go, it's fairly simple. When you make a zombie bloodied, you've dismembered it (It's what I said). If you absolutely need to destroy the head for it to die, say that unless you take a minor action to bust the brain after a kill, the square becomes "trapped"-ish. Whoever goes near gets an ankle-bite.

You can easily use the disease system for the zombification, just either make the PCs able to resist it right (and cure themselves) or actually immunie to the disease.

Last things. Minions. Use a ridiculous amount of minions. If you want an example encounter, check the side-treck encounters for KotS in the dragon magazine. I've ran that zombie encounter and I can tell a party without a blaster wizard is going to be in trouble with 18 minions (4 of them getting 2 attacks per round), with possibly more coming.

Emirikol

Adventurer
I've dumped cleric's Turn Undead since 2E. At first my players freaked out. Then it made sense. Now with 4e..I suppose a replacement skill will have to work out.

jh

megasycophant

First Post
Tehnai said:
Well, the zombie weakness illustrates the beheading zombie thing pretty well. It's tough to behead something right in the middle of a combat situation.
I follow what you're saying and it's appreciated, think I was heading in that direction with the bloodied bit. I'd still like to figure a way to have that "Oh, you've got to shoot them in the head moment" as per every one of the genre flics, and strategies for dealing with the menace revolving around this. My oldest son is a big Max Brooks fan, too (Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z) and I'd like to introduce such concepts to the players (and challenge him to play his character as if he didn't already KNOW them until they're learned in the course of play).

After some thought, I'm thinking something like this... Based on basic zombie, guess this might be the sort of thing for a template, a bit rough still (don't quite speak 4E yet):

HP about 200% of standard zombie
Speed 3 (also, can't run, not sure how to work that in)

Brain Salad Surgery (aka Head FTW!, replaces Zombie Weakness)
If an attacker knows of George zombies' vulnerability, a critical hit or a called shot vs AC + 5 that causes five or more points of damage kills the zombie instantly.

Falling Apart
A George zombie that is bloodied has its speed reduced to one.

The Dead Don't Die
A George zombie that is reduced to zero or fewer hit points does not die, but is immobilized, prone, and weakened (until Brain Salad Surgery is performed).

also....

Romerian Hunger (standard; at will)
Target must be immobolized (see Zombie Grab), stunned, or unconscious; +4 vs AC; 1d6+2 damage; infects target with Zombie Plague. A zombie who has grabbed someone may only use this attack against the person he's grabbed.

As for the disease itself, wouldn't be much fun if the characters were immune. In the interests of avoiding it turning into a Paranoia campaign (wow, this would have been good stuff for Paranoia! :p), I'll probably rule that clerics can cure the disease if it's caught before it runs its course.

Infernal Scribe

First Post
I would recommend checking out the Strahd Zombies in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft and rip the zombie disease they got from there and try to convert it.

But the disease pretty much turn you into a zombie, if you ever reached 0 hit points and you were weakened or similiar condition while you were alive and infected.

megasycophant

First Post
C'mon, noone has any feedback? Should I have just put my additions in my post at the top of the thread? (Is that the defacto standard in these here parts?)

Remove ads