Rule question BURST

I am a bit confused on the Burst thing

in the pre-release compilation we have

BURST (X) within (Y) Squares
This effect is an area including all squares (X) x (X) distance (Y) from a center square. Burst effects that are close attacks (such as “close burst 2”) always consider the caster to be the center of the effect. Bursts that are not close attacks (such as wizard’s “Scorching Burst” power) can be centered anywhere within the powers range, rather than centered on the caster.

now this make little sense

take the Scorthching Burst, it has burst*1
does this means that it target only 1 square?
or 9 squares (the 1 targetted and all the square around it?)

the Sleep spell, it has burst*2
it is a 2x2 square or a 5x5 square? (all squares at a distance of 2 from a center square)

and the dragon burst? (I am assuming the dragon to be 2x3 squares, am I wrong?)
it's a "close burst*2" how could it be a 2x2 square when the dragon is big as this?
btw it's a zone effect so it can be dispelled by dispel magic :)

and so the frightful presence, it's a "close burst*5" must I consider everything within 5 squares from the dragon or a 5x5 square with the dragon in it?

so I am guessing that Burst*X should be

BURST (X) within (Y) Squares
This effect is an area including all squares at distance (X) from a center square within (Y) squares from the originator of the effect. Burst effects that are close attacks (such as “close burst 2”) always consider the caster to be the center of the effect. Bursts that are not close attacks (such as wizard’s “Scorching Burst” power) can be centered anywhere within the powers range, rather than centered on the caster.

Xorn

First Post
That's still a good question raised--on the close burst 5 for a LARGE creature, does it extend from one of the creature's squares, or are all 4 of the occupied squares considered to be the "center" square?

And the dragon is 2x2, FYI.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Yeah, so Burst 2, for example, centered on Caster square 'C' would look like this:
Code:
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X [COLOR=DarkOrange][B]C[/B][/COLOR] X X
X X X X X
X X X X X

I like this change from the somewhat ackward way it was sometimes handled in previous editions, with trying to center effects that always had an even number of squares for the diameter.

Last edited:

catsclaw227

First Post
Is Close Burst 2 for a Large creature then:

Code:
X X X X X X
X X X X X X
X X [color=orange]Y Y[/color] X X
X X [color=orange]Y Y[/color] X X
X X X X X X
X X X X X X

DreamChaser

Explorer
Keenath said:
That makes sense and fits my sense of what a burst is.

But then what's a 'blast'?

A square of X on each side starting from an origin square which mush be adjacent to one square of the blast. A close blast 3 starts at any square adjacent to the character and spreads from there:

Code:
  X X X
C X X X
  X X X

OR

C X X X
  X X X
  X X X

OR EVEN

C
  X X X
  X X X
  X X X

dc

BarbJebez

First Post
A blast is just a burst at range.

While a burst is centered on the caster, a blast is centered on whatever target square the caster chooses (based on targeting restrictions).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases