Rule question BURST

Verys Arkon

First Post
frankthedm said:
Uhm, Now where are you getting the info for which squares were unaffected? Some of the squares for the Burst, shown as unaffected have COVER from the burst, but having cover does not exclude a square from a burst from what i understood.

Going by the DDM text...

I'm using the DDM 2.0 as well - the section that is important is just above the portion you screen-cap'ed.

"Burst attacks use a square as the effect's origin. These follow the same rules as for * (melee) attacks. If any line of effect between the origin square ad the target is blocked, the target has cover."

"Cover and * (melee) attacks: When making a melee attack, choose a square of the attacker's space. If all lines are clear between the four corners of that square and the corners of a specific square in the target's space, the target does not have cover."

Since you cannot draw a line from every corner of the origin square (red) to the target square(s) without encountering the wall, it is excluded from the burst's area of effect, as I understand it.

frankthedm

First Post
Verys Arkon said:
I'm using the DDM 2.0 as well - the section that is important is just above the portion you screen-cap'ed.

"Burst attacks use a square as the effect's origin. These follow the same rules as for * (melee) attacks. If any line of effect between the origin square ad the target is blocked, the target has cover."

"Cover and * (melee) attacks: When making a melee attack, choose a square of the attacker's space. If all lines are clear between the four corners of that square and the corners of a specific square in the target's space, the target does not have cover."

Since you cannot draw a line from every corner of the origin square (red) to the target square(s) without encountering the wall, it is excluded from the burst's area of effect, as I understand it.
:confused: Cover is a -2 to hit penalty to aatckas that target AC and Reflex defence. It does not prevent attacks at all.

Edit. And now having double checked the LOS/LOE rules, the question marked square looks like it IS effected.

Attachments

• have blast.JPG
    have blast.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 89
  • L O S for words.GIF
    L O S for words.GIF
    9.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Verys Arkon

First Post
Ah, I see. *smacks forehead* I'm getting how cover and line-of-effect are established mixed up. Thanks frankthedm! This is why PrRC is called Community Compiled :)

How does this look?

attachment.php

Attachments

• ranged-burst-and-cover-revised.jpg
    ranged-burst-and-cover-revised.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 297

Ahglock

First Post
Sir Brennen said:
Yeah, so Burst 2, for example, centered on Caster square 'C' would look like this:
Code:
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X [COLOR=DarkOrange][B]C[/B][/COLOR] X X
X X X X X
X X X X X

I like this change from the somewhat ackward way it was sometimes handled in previous editions, with trying to center effects that always had an even number of squares for the diameter.

Awkward??

I just cut out shapes from construction paper for each spell, with cones having a size based on level and one use of the increased range feat(enlarge? i forget) In 3.5 cones became um easier to cut out, but we didn't fully 3.5 things. Then if you were using a battle-map you just slapped it down, and said, "BOOM, BLEEEPES" what's awkward about that. If the construction paper touches your mini you are effected. :heh:

Vaeron

Explorer
frankthedm said:
I do believe the blasts are incorrect.

IIUC the blasts would look like this...QUOTE]

No, your Blast 1 is actually a Blast 3, and your Blast 2 is actually a Blast 5. It's Bursts that use a center square and add the numeric value to squares around the origin. Blasts originate from a set point and go a specified distance. So a Blast 5 is a box with 5 squares per side, like the illustrations. A blast 1 goes 1 square, blast 2 goes 2 squares, etc. etc.

Verys Arkon

First Post
Verys Arkon said:
Ah, I see. *smacks forehead* I'm getting how cover and line-of-effect are established mixed up. Thanks frankthedm! This is why PrRC is called Community Compiled :)

How does this look?

attachment.php

I got this reply from Moribund in another Burst/Blast thread . Comments?

Hmm, in the DDM rules at least, you have to count distances around corners, so some of the squares on the right side of the diagram are "farther" than their color would indicate.

For instance, the two leftmost square on the top row are actually 5 squares away.

Remove ads