D&D 4E Running player commentary on PCat's 4E Campaign - Heroic tier (finished)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
We play tonight! So, probably tomorrow. The Grey Guard are headed out into the swamp, hopefully to harry the lizardfolk from their rear flank as they advance to attack. And I can't say anything else without spoilers for my players.

Upon reflection, having a reward come in the form of alchemy supplies/formulae is something I'm really happy about. Here's what I sent my players (only, you know, with proper tabs):

[sblock]The alchemical codex loaned you from Floodford's governor has the following formulas in it:

Name Formula cost Level Creation cost Source

Alchemists Acid 70 1 20 GP Adventurers Vault

Alchemists Fire 70 1 20 GP Adventurers Vault

Alchemists Frost 70 1 20 GP Adventurers Vault

Antivenom 70 1 20 GP Adventurers Vault

Clearsense Powder 80 1 20 GP Adventurers Vault

Clearwater Solution 120 1 20 GP Adventurers Vault

Herbal Poultice 90 3 30 GP Adventurers Vault

Beastbane 160 4 160 GP Adventurers Vault

They have also supplied you with 200 gp worth of components. You'll find the time to create each of these, and what they do, in the beginning of the Adventurer's Vault. Most things can be made in 15 minutes to a half an hour.[/sblock]
In case anyone's curious, they're copying the formulae and making:
- one each of alchemists acid, frost, and fire (60g)
- one each of antivenom, clearwater solution, clearsense powder, and herbal poultice (90g)
- a second copy of two of the healing ones (40-50g)

I'm interested to see how this affects combat. Ahem. Not that there'll be any combat tonight. Ahem.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
A quick note on tonight's game, before Sagiro writes it up:

I figured, "hey, they're four 3rd level adventurers. I'll sic another four 3rd lvl adventurers on them and see who wins!" So I ignored the rules and made four enemy NPCs using the glorious ddi Character Builder's "quick character." (I should have used the flash monster builder on the ddi site, but it's buggy as anything and would have taken about twenty times as long.)

I learned that this "full character sheet for NPCs" is an option, but it's definitely slower for me to run than a streamlined NPC or monster would have been. If I were to do that again, I'd adjust the enemy hit points to be what they should have been for a monster of that level. I'd also narrow down their abilities greatly to make on-the-fly combat easier.

But hey, I got to play a druid, beast ranger, warden and sorcerer -- and a pack of stirges. I feel fulfilled.

Aravis

First Post
I was looking at the Sorcerer preview again yesterday, and ye gods does that thing do a lot of damage. How did it turn out in play?

Um, er, you said it best. Ye Gods, did that thing do a lot of damage.

Of course, a concerted attack from two rogues pretty much shut it off almost as quickly as it had begun. Seems, it can't really take any where near as much damage as it can dole out.

--Aravis

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Um, er, you said it best. Ye Gods, did that thing do a lot of damage.

Of course, a concerted attack from two rogues pretty much shut it off almost as quickly as it had begun. Seems, it can't really take any where near as much damage as it can dole out.

--Aravis

They should fire their defender. But I have a feeling you guys may have helped them out in that department.

Aravis

First Post
They should fire their defender. But I have a feeling you guys may have helped them out in that department.

Yeah, he went down mere moments before the Sorcerer. Besides, I am unconvinced that there really is much a Defender can do if two rogues decide to take down one of his group.

-- Aravis

Remove ads