D&D 4E Running player commentary on PCat's 4E Campaign - Heroic tier (finished)

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Summary of Run #11:

Before heading out into the swamp on our scout-and-harass mission, Logan and Caldwell spent a day using our new alchemy lab to brew up some goodies – which I see Piratecat has already listed above. While the rest of us waited, a couple of boats arrived in Floodford from upriver – empty of crew and stained with blood. It seemed that the lizardmen were sending us a demoralizing message: they controlled the lands north of the town, and had cut off the shipping lanes.

Then next day we were given a good swamp boat, as well as the company of Yiddin Longplank, a Grey Guard combat medic. (Metagame note: Doc’s player (Blackjack) missed the session. Fictionally he was acting as trailing rearguard, and so was not involved in our combats. PCat ran Yiddin as an NPC.)

We decided to start out heading west (toward the Bubbling Fens), with the intention of scouting that area before heading north to the bulk of the re-massing lizard army. After a morning of poling around the swamp getting bitten by a skillion normal-sized mosquitoes, we were beset by a half-dozen of their detestable older brothers – stirges! We heard their telltale flying buzz while they were still a round away, which gave us time to start out with some wizard blasting and dagger-flinging. And while they squicked us out, we made pretty short work of them. The buzzing buggers had trouble hitting us, and our striker-heavy group killed them all with only one able to attach itself (to Toiva).

After the fight, we spotted something odd a couple miles away – birds circling above the swamp in great numbers. Thinking it might be carrion birds massing above a ship in distress, we quickly poled over to investigate. What we saw was – disturbing. There were in fact carrion birds aplenty, along with many bloated stirges. They wheeled above, and dined upon, a huge mass of dead lizardmen (we estimated about 200), floating obscenely in the muck. Had there been infighting? Or was this a burial ground?

We had insufficient time to ponder this new mystery, because our boat was shaken and tipped by lizardmen who had approached unseen beneath the water! There followed a tense and exciting battle between us and a quartet of lizardmen adventurers, kicked off by everyone but Cobalt falling off the boat into the water, and a crocodile dragging Logan several squares away. Three of the lizards engaged us at close range, while a fourth attacked from several squares out. At least two of them used attacks that made barbed foliage grow directly out of our skin – ugh! The ranged attacker (a sorcerer), after first missing Cobalt with a glob of acidic spit, followed up with a brutal area attack that scared the heck out of us; even though it only hit Toiva, the damage was formidable, and caused the aforementioned outbreak of barbed plant-life.

But, despite the gruesome attacks from a couple of the lizardmen, including one that dazed both Logan and Longplank, we slew them all without any of us even going unconscious, and with (I think) only a small number of healing surges spent.

With time to investigate further the pile of bodies, Strontium realized that there were specially marked objects set around the perimeter. (He actually had a flashback to his ancient past that imparted this knowledge.) These 200 bodies had been placed here as part of a ritual meant to animate them into unlife! Needless to say, we smashed up the ritual components as thoroughly as possible.

And that’s where we stopped. Next game: The Bubbling Fens!

Tactical Notes:

- For swamp navigation, Piratecat identified several skills we’d need, and we assigned them to the best characters. For instance, we needed Nature checks to help navigate the swamp, Endurance and Athletics for poling, Stealth for keeping the boat well camouflaged, etc. It was a neat variant on the Skill Challenge, I thought.

- The stirges were, near as I can tell, of the 1st- level variety. That’s probably why were took care of them so easily.

- The fight against the lizardman “party” was, like all of our combats so far, well-paced and non-draggy. It did make me realize that a significant percentage of our combats thus far has taken place in terrain that is difficult for us, but not our enemies. It’s a natural consequence of an extended series of engagements with lizardmen in a swamp, but it’s particularly vexing in a rogue-heavy party where flanking position is so vital. (Vexing to the characters, mind you. As a player, I find it an interesting tactical challenge.)

- As Piratecat said above, the enemies were a druid, ranger, warden and sorcerer (all 3rd level), along with the ranger’s crocodile beast companion. The ranger, fortunately for us, was annihilated almost instantly when Logan landed a gruesome 39-point hit with Blade Vault. That’s our current record for most damage done in one attack by one character.

- The sorcerer was the scariest enemy, due to the fact that he did 28 points of damage to one character in a Blast 3 attack (Lightning Breath, repurposed to do “plant” damage instead of lightning.). We realized that, had he hit all three targets in the blast, he could have done 84 points of damage in a single attack. See above for our relatively paltry record.

- Because Piratecat was playing the monsters as PC’s, they didn’t have as many hit points as MM baddies typically do. As a result, the rogue-cuisinart of Logan and Cobalt make pretty short work of our enemies. As I predicted in my last update, it turns out we love love love Toiva’s choice of Righteous Smite. Temporary hit points are as good as healing for us melee striker types.

- Both Logan’s player and I were very pleased with our selections of 3rd-level Encounter powers from Martial Power. Logan took Blade Vault, which in addition to being extremely stylish, helped immensely in the difficult terrain of the swamp. Cobalt took Low Slash, and as a Minor Action it served the exact purpose I expected: giving him a second attack in a flanking situation when his first attack missed.

- While I’m praising rogue powers, I’ve become a huge fan of the Adaptable Flanker. I don’t think a single fight has gone by since we attained 2nd-level, that Cobalt hasn’t used it to get combat advantage when he otherwise couldn’t have gotten it. In essence, it’s an encounter power that’s: “Do an extra 2d8+3 damage on an attack.”

- Cobalt found himself Marked by the Warden at one point. We collectively decided that it’s more fun if players (and by extension the PC’s) don’t know what the effect of the mark will be until we try attacking elsewhere. Fortunately for Cobalt (in this case), he was more than happy to keep attacking his Marker.

- Skills used this game: Acrobatics, Arcana, Athletics, Endurance, Heal, History, Nature, Perception, Religion, Stealth

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Other notes:

- Stron, the warforged wizard, was disappointed that his sleep daily missed completely.

- Because Stron sat underneath the mud for hundreds of years and doesn't remember his past, providing him brief hints during arcana and history checks seems like a nice technique. In this case, he remembered viewing (performing?) a vast and powerful necromantic ritual to raise dead soldiers.

- The dead lizardmen in the swamp appeared to have been casualties of the Floodford battle two nights before.

- The initial skill checks were part one of an ongoing skill challenge that would determine their speed, secrecy and sense of direction through the swamp. They rolled pretty well, all things considered. Those checks (and the skill challenge) will be continuing.

- After they killed the stirges, I gave out a treasure parcel in the form of 75 gp worth of alchemical ingredients from the destroyed monsters.

- The Character Builder can't create lizardmen PCs. As a result, these were built on dragonborn, with me swapping out the breath weapon and swapping in (and promptly forgetting) the lizardman ability to sidestep and attack.

- In accordance with the vile nature God the lizardmen worshipped (Sklar, He Who Abides Beneath The Weeds), most people's powers had plant-themed special effects. That worked really nicely, and is something I'll continue to do.

- All the PCs now have magical weapons and neck slot items (from their Grey Guard cloakpins.) Only one or two have magical armor. Handily, the lizardmen were wearing some interesting armor themselves...

- Toiva experienced a (prophetic?) dream the night before they headed into the swamp. Possibly related to that, she is having something odd happen: as the lizardmen spoke in draconic, she understood (and can now speak) every word they said. She can't speak anythign else in draconic, and isn't sure why this is happening.

Alomir

First Post
Summary of Run #11:
- As Piratecat said above, the enemies were a druid, ranger, warden and sorcerer (all 3rd level), along with the ranger’s crocodile beast companion. The ranger, fortunately for us, was annihilated almost instantly when Logan landed a gruesome 39-point hit with Blade Vault. That’s our current record for most damage done in one attack by one character.

Ah, that's not quite our record for single attack, as that was a Blade Vault + action-point-enabled Riposte Strike. Nearly max-ing my damage rolls on the BV(+SA) didn't hurt either :)

Am I the only one who feels like we escaped by the skin of our teeth? I'm not quite sure what was different from my end, but I really felt that it was a much closer fight than the above suggests. Yes, the sorcerer did that massive damage from a daily (so he wasn't going to repeat it), but I don't think any of the others managed to get big powers off; I think if we had focused on targets a little differently, things might have gone much more badly for us (read: we got a little lucky). We took a *lot* of damage, overall; besides the sorcerer's big hit, Logan was down 24 points (38->14) before he got an action, and there were several ongoing effects throughout the fight. An yes, we DO love love love Toiva's Righteous Smite - that was essentially 21 points of healing.

Blackjack

First Post
Almost all the players. Your rapier might be magical - but it got stolen by lizardmen, so it's hard to tell.
Actually, it's easy to tell, since magic items were immune to the teleport. So by definition, anything they stole was nonmagical. Meaning that I never had a magical weapon, and still don't.

Great. So first he steals all of my personal possessions, then he gives magical weapons to all the other players. And here's the worst part: I'm not even playing a paladin.

This is an awesome thread. I should start posting some of the write-ups from my Wildlands game on ENWorld.

A quick question about the length of combat: How many rounds are your combats, on average? I'm finding that combats in 4e take just about as long as they did in 3e (real time) but last for say 8-10 rounds, instead of 3-5. Of course, that may be a side effect of the fact that the three strikers in my group haven't figured out that they can concentrate their damage on a single target. It will easily take us two hours to get through a combat of the party's level, but I feel like a lot happens in that time.

Aravis

First Post
...How many rounds are your combats, on average? I'm finding that combats in 4e take just about as long as they did in 3e (real time) but last for say 8-10 rounds, instead of 3-5...

It seems like they have been running 4-6 rounds on average. They take us 40 minutes to an hour. This is with 5 players.

Aravis

It seems like they have been running 4-6 rounds on average. They take us 40 minutes to an hour. This is with 5 players.
Ah, OK. Our combats seem to take more rounds and we have 6 players. Several of those players are new to the game and tend to agonize over decisions, so we're not doing as bad time-wise as I thought.

Remove ads