D&D 4E Running player commentary on PCat's 4E Campaign - Heroic tier (finished)

Blood Jester

First Post
I can see where this might be a problem with a power where the target grants combat advantage only to the user of the power, but most "save ends" powers like ongoing damage or slows or dazes give at least one round of the effect because the target can't roll a save until the end of its turn...

But consider:

PC rogue Initiative 16
NPC villain Initiative 15.
Other PCs 14, 13, 9...
Rogue hits with Daily. Yay!
NPC goes next, hits PC for massive damage, then saves. Boo!

Zero advantage was gained from the Daily.

And this type of initiative order is not in the least unusual.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Very true.

For folks following at home, Blood Jester plays in my other 4e campaign The Merchant Prince. It's a six-player campaign also set in the Caprian empire, but the (rich and swashbuckling and socially important) PCs are following up a mystery on a mostly unexplored jungle continent. Their heroes are one level lower than the Grey Guard heroes, having just made 3rd level.

Storminator

First Post
But consider:

PC rogue Initiative 16
NPC villain Initiative 15.
Other PCs 14, 13, 9...
Rogue hits with Daily. Yay!
NPC goes next, hits PC for massive damage, then saves. Boo!

Zero advantage was gained from the Daily.

In this case, the rogue should either follow up with an action point attack, or delay until right after the villain, then deliver his daily.

I'm sure our group isn't the only one that manipulates the initiative order to maximize our power's effects. Just one more layer of tactics to deal with...

PS

Legildur

First Post
Right, in the Rules forum. Here it is, with no implicit recommendation from me -- I haven't read it, and don't know how useful it might be.
Ahhh, that's the one. Thanks.

So how is it that you came to the conclusion to grant it as a free feat? (that's where the implicit recommendation came from in my eyes, but agree that it was not in that other thread, as I hadn't yet read it!)

Elric

First Post
Right, in the Rules forum. Here it is, with no implicit recommendation from me -- I haven't read it, and don't know how useful it might be.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-4th-edition-rules/251816-so-about-expertise.html

There's a somewhat more constructive thread in House Rules where people discuss house rules to address the scaling issues without the need for (and with the presumed banning of) these feats. http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan...ves-feat-tax-solution-hit-f-r-w-defenses.html.

The basic math is:

Over 29 levels, from a starting level 1 character (with no magic items) to level 30:
To-hit, AC, and Fort/Reflex/Will gain +21 from levels/enhancement bonuses.

Assume you split your stat boosts to two stats that add to different FRW defenses. One of these stats is your primary attack stat. If you wear light armor, one of these stats boosts AC.

AC gains +6 more: either +6 from Masterwork Heavy Armor, or +2 from MW Light Armor and +4 from increases to an ability score which adds to AC.
To-hit and your two strong FRWs gain +4 more from Primary/Secondary Attribute advancement
Your one weak FRW gains +1 from the ability score boosts at levels 11/21.

So AC gains +27, to-hit and your two strong FRWs gain +25, and your weak FRW gains +22.

Over these 29 levels, monsters gain +29 to their to-hit and to all defenses. Compared to the monsters, players lose 2 on AC, players lose 4 on to-hit and their two strong FRWs, and lose 7 on their weak FRW.

These numbers don't take into account powers, Paragon paths, Epic destinies, or feats. This is just the raw effect of levels, stat increases, and enhancement bonuses of magic items.

Remove ads