D&D 4E Running player commentary on PCat's 4E Campaign - Heroic tier (finished)

Alomir

First Post
Logan lied, had his bluff called, and fled for his life (another skill challenge) without ever getting a good look at the monster. Unfortunately, he heard a groan as he fled; there may have been someone alive in there.

Ah, I thought I was doing a reasonable job, but the bad... guy? didn't fall for it. Side note: first significantly successful use of an alchemical item - an alchemist's frost bought me enough time to escape!

Thus, he didn't have to try and fight the bloodkiss beholder - an undead abomination from Open Grave - by himself.

Good thing, as that would have been a *short* battle.

I'm not sure it was as effective for Alomir (my kitchen was loud when I played it, and I didn't have time to put the actual bad-guy monologue in there) but it totally amused me.

The kitchen was unfortunately loud - but even with that, the voice track was *mighty cool*

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Yes, true, the paladin's mark does Radiant damage (which explains why it was doing 12 points per instance instead of 7). I meant that she has no way of voluntarily doing Radiant, but it's a good point. They way things are going, we'll need all the extra damage we can manage!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Chance of becoming stunned, a.k.a. Paralyzed: 33%​
And out of a six person party we ended up with one person fully stunned and one person immobilized - math is neat!

- Regarding that second battle, against a “Bloodkiss Beholder,” which I'm guessing is a level 9 or 10 solo (we're a party of six 6th level characters, plus an NPC whose effectiveness is unclear to me): Uh oh.
I wanted a NPC who was clearly new to this "adventuring" thing and fragile, but who would be able to participate at least a little. Nuntle the Cloakmaker is a 5th level minion: reasonable defenses, only basic attacks, and one measly hit points (but he does make great cloaks!). He should be wearing a red shirt -- but keep him alive, and you'll likely have an ally for life.

- Piratecat has also introduced a difficult terrain type into this battle which is awesomely gruesome, or gruesomely awesome: bodies hanging from the ceiling by chains. They're dangling right at ground level, so we have to push past them if we move through a square that has one.
I did rule that you can shift into the square because the bodies are hanging from chains, which seems reasonable although not adhering to the rules as written. It wouldn't be possible if the bodies were heavy with blood.

- Piratecat did hint after the session that he had modified the creature's power downward somewhat from its “official” template. It still seems pretty bad-ass to me
Oh, yes. That +10 necrotic damage on every hit is just nasty. I mostly tweaked its ability to stun, however, as that's not my favorite condition to impose in an already deadly fight.

If I can figure out how, I'll export the voice track as a mp3 and post it.

coyote6

Adventurer
Nuntle the Cloakmaker is a 5th level minion: reasonable defenses, only basic attacks, and one measly hit points (but he does make great cloaks!). He should be wearing a red shirt -- but keep him alive, and you'll likely have an ally for life.

If you double-check, you might find his cloak is reversible, and the inside is red. Weatherproof, either way, but one side is for sneaking, and the other for making an entrance.

He makes great cloaks.

Rechan

Adventurer
and the inside is red... and the other for making an entrance.
See, here I thought of a Redshirt, especially since he's a minion.

Dangit, ninja'd by PCat:
PCat said:
I wanted a NPC who was clearly new to this "adventuring" thing and fragile, but who would be able to participate at least a little. Nuntle the Cloakmaker is a 5th level minion: reasonable defenses, only basic attacks, and one measly hit points (but he does make great cloaks!). He should be wearing a red shirt -- but keep him alive, and you'll likely have an ally for life.
Question.

Just out of curiosity, in this situation, how would the PCs keep him safe? A single ranged attack (or close blast or waht have you) could take this guy out. So, do you, the DM, intentionally not attack him (but still threaten him by putting something nasty next to him)?

Last edited:

Markn

First Post
Hey PC,

Question for you - In another thread, don't remember which one, you mentioned that have your players print out a "Do something cool" power card to always remind them that is an option. I'm wondering how you adjudicate the benefits, particularly damage, when they use this?

I've found that if I follow DMG guidelines, the damages are way behind what my players can do with their powers. I've been kind of thinking that maybe I could make it the statistical average of their other powers so that sometimes this option is better, sometimes not.

I'm also worried about the abuse of using this over and over. Do you make it an encounter power or use some other method?

Thanks, keep up the great work, and congrats on being in Underdark!

Truename

First Post
In another thread, don't remember which one, you mentioned that have your players print out a "Do something cool" power card to always remind them that is an option. I'm wondering how you adjudicate the benefits, particularly damage, when they use this?

I've found that if I follow DMG guidelines, the damages are way behind what my players can do with their powers. I've been kind of thinking that maybe I could make it the statistical average of their other powers so that sometimes this option is better, sometimes not.

I'm also worried about the abuse of using this over and over. Do you make it an encounter power or use some other method?

I'm interested in this too. We're about to start using this house-rule on Tuesday as part of a new campaign. Rather than use p.42, I've decided that it's an encounter power that does one of three things:

• 2[W] damage and a minor effect until end of your next turn (prone, slow, immobilize, etc)
  • 1[W] damage and a major effect until EoYNT (grabbed, restrained, def -2, etc)
  • no damage and a debilitating effect until EoYNT (dazed, def -4, etc)

I'll do something similar for implement users. Multiple-target effects are a bit trickier and I haven't figured them out yet, but I'll probably reduce the damage and limit them to minor effects.

I'm not revealing this structure to the players, so I'll be able to adjust it depending on how it works out in play.

Finally, I'm going to allow the players to tack a minor effect onto their basic attack, at-will, if they narrate a decent reason. But I'm not printing cards for this option.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Just out of curiosity, in this situation, how would the PCs keep him safe?
Not my problem. He doesn't know he only has one hit point, of course, although he's pretty clearly a tailor and not a warrior. They've been keeping him back out of the line of fire and he's been throwing daggers.

Question for you - In another thread, don't remember which one, you mentioned that have your players print out a "Do something cool" power card to always remind them that is an option. I'm wondering how you adjudicate the benefits, particularly damage, when they use this?
First, I've house ruled that everyone gets expertise - effectively a flat +1 per tier to attack. I try to remind folks that this applies to special stuff, too. (Hey, Alomir, Blackjack and Sagiro- this should also apply to alchemical items! We forgot that. Note it on your character sheets if you think of it.)

EDIT: As of 2/18/10, I've had my players get rid of the ad hoc expertise feat and I'm just reducing all the monsters' defenses by one. Way easier, as I'm the only person who has to remember a change, and it'll apply to every weapon and stunt.

Second, I often give an ad hoc +1 or +2 to attack with improvised weapons if they're cool, sort of a proficiency bonus they get for doing something cinematic. This doesn't always happen, but I want to make an improvised attack a viable choice AND I want to reward the player for being creative and cinematic -- that makes the game more fun for everyone and encourages the player to always be thinking.

Third, I generally use the damage numbers on page 42 of the DMG with the following guidelines:

- Is it clearly a one-time thing ("I leap onto one end of the broken tree, angling the other end up towards the charging monster like a pointy spear") that's unique to this fight? Be sure to use the limited damage expressions. If it's something that could be repeated every fight ("I shoot the monster in the eye with my arrow"), I use the regular expressions.

- The first time in a fight an improvised attack is used by a player, I raise the damage expression one notch higher than I would normally, just to reward the player for thinking outside the box.

- If the improvised attack is just doing damage, I lean towards the highest damage expression (whether normal or limited), then I lower the damage one or two notches depending on the effectiveness of the special effect that the player wants to add.

- I like the idea of making each unique trick into an encounter power - so that a person can try multiple improvised stunts, but each one only once. I'd allow a stunt to be used more than once in an encounter, honestly, but I'd mitigate the special effect and dial the damage down one notch each time to discourage this.

For instance, using the aforementioned examples for 6th level PCs:

"I leap onto one end of the broken tree, angling the other end up towards the charging monster like a pointy spear": Limited damage expression, as this is both cinematic and highly situational. 3d10+4 -- reduced to 3d8+4 if the PC wants the tree trunk to immobilize the monster.

"I shoot the monster in the eye with my arrow to blind it": This could happen every fight. Normal damage expression, start high and reduce by two levels because blind (whether save ends or end of your next turn) are both really good. A mere 1d6+4 damage plus the special effect, or bumped up to 1d10+4 if it's that person's first improvised attack of the encounter.

Don't sweat the numbers too much. 4e monsters have enough hit points that it's better to err on the side of more damage if you're trying to reward creativity.

Last edited:

Remove ads