D&D 5E Running Rime of the Frost Maiden

Weiley31

Legend
I like how the book tells ya that Hill Dwarf is a Gold Dwarf, a Mountain Dwarf is a Shield Dwarf, a High Elf is a Moon/Sun elf, etc, etc, etc.

As a method to have the party both be bound together and have a reason to investigate strange goings on in Ten Towns, i am thinking that the Council of Speakers has voted to create its own "sheriff's office." With things deteriorating due to Auril's curse, the Speakers think having visible agents around will not only improve morale but make them seem more effective and legitimate. But because not all of the Speakers agreed with the idea, the compromise they struck was to make the first team up of unknowns. Those Speakers want to see it fail.
This is a good idea.

SuperTD

Explorer
And I just did the number on the flight time for a certain encounter. Ouch.

Yeah, I've seen people do the analysis for chapter 4 and it turns out that the PC's only chance is to go straight to the final town on the route to get there before the dragon does - and that's with a bit of generosity from the DM. I'm probably going to have Velynne's sled be pulled by zombie dogs (since she's a necromancer) so the party doesn't have to rest an hour every hour, meaning they can try and intercept earlier and save more towns.

Yeah, I've seen people do the analysis for chapter 4 and it turns out that the PC's only chance is to go straight to the final town on the route to get there before the dragon does - and that's with a bit of generosity from the DM. I'm probably going to have Velynne's sled be pulled by zombie dogs (since she's a necromancer) so the party doesn't have to rest an hour every hour, meaning they can try and intercept earlier and save more towns.
The zombie dogs are a good idea, should double the effective speed, but I might simply run the dragon attack while the players are in one of the towns, unless they detect and pursue the dwarves first. Also, If you leave running this chapter until the players are level 5 they may have faster ways of travelling. Some ideas: Conjure Animals (two giant eagles or extra sled dogs), Phantom Steed (10 MPH, doesn't say it's affected by terrain or weather), Catnap (on the dogs if they aint zombies), wildshape into an axebeak or giant elk.

A couple of things might occur here:
  • the players may assume there is a self destruct button inside the fortress, and feel cheated that their isn't;
  • the players might decide to split the party.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
Looking at the Black Swords quest, I'm not entirely happy with the implementation of the chardalyn amulets. I know the chances are low, but I'm not keen on involuntary alignment changes.

As an alternative, I'm thinking of having Levistus offering their bearer the same deal that he uses to recruit his other followers. If a character suffers serious effects (at least 3 levels of exhaustion) as a result of environmental effects, or if they become unconscious and making death saves as a result of being reduced to 0 hit points, Levistus communicates with them telepathically and offers them salvation in return for their sworn devotion.

Unconscious characters can still respond, and the player will be told that they can feel that this deal is binding. If they offer their loyalty they must do so sincerely, and they will be held to it.

If they agree, then a character suffering from environmental effects will temporarily gain immunity to cold and the effects of any exhaustion levels will be suppressed. These benefits last for 8 hours, during which they intuitively know the direction of the nearest settlement. A character who was unconscious and dying returns to consciousness with 1 hit point, and is under the effects of an Armour of Agathys spell, cast at 3rd level.

The character's alignment changes to lawful evil, and Levistus can communicate with them telepathically as with his followers. The protections offered by the amulet end if the character refuses any direct instruction received from Levistus. The alignment change can be undone by any magic that ends a curse, but after nine days, it can be reversed only by a Wish spell or divine intervention.

Reynard

Legend
Looking at the Black Swords quest, I'm not entirely happy with the implementation of the chardalyn amulets. I know the chances are low, but I'm not keen on involuntary alignment changes.

As an alternative, I'm thinking of having Levistus offering their bearer the same deal that he uses to recruit his other followers. If a character suffers serious effects (at least 3 levels of exhaustion) as a result of environmental effects, or if they become unconscious and making death saves as a result of being reduced to 0 hit points, Levistus communicates with them telepathically and offers them salvation in return for their sworn devotion.

Unconscious characters can still respond, and the player will be told that they can feel that this deal is binding. If they offer their loyalty they must do so sincerely, and they will be held to it.

If they agree, then a character suffering from environmental effects will temporarily gain immunity to cold and the effects of any exhaustion levels will be suppressed. These benefits last for 8 hours, during which they intuitively know the direction of the nearest settlement. A character who was unconscious and dying returns to consciousness with 1 hit point, and is under the effects of an Armour of Agathys spell, cast at 3rd level.

The character's alignment changes to lawful evil, and Levistus can communicate with them telepathically as with his followers. The protections offered by the amulet end if the character refuses any direct instruction received from Levistus. The alignment change can be undone by any magic that ends a curse, but after nine days, it can be reversed only by a Wish spell or divine intervention.
I like it, though I'm not sure what effect an alignment change would have. I don't use alignment for anything mechanical these days, so I think an oath with a real permanent consequence if broken is better.

I've just reread chapter 4, and the "flight times" do not take into account how long the dragon spends attacking the town. Whilst it destroys Dougan's Hole in half an hour (it's pretty much toast, whatever), it spends a full eight hours attacking it's second target - Easthaven. That should give the PCs plenty of time to catch up.

MarkB

Legend
I like it, though I'm not sure what effect an alignment change would have. I don't use alignment for anything mechanical these days, so I think an oath with a real permanent consequence if broken is better.
I tend not to make much use of alignment either, but it's a simple way of tracking the character's commitment. I did consider two other options - either a geas spell, or treat Levistus's telepathic commands as being issued with the suggestion spell. Either way, any effect that removes a curse breaks the effect, if done within 9 days.

SuperTD

Explorer
I've just reread chapter 4, and the "flight times" do not take into account how long the dragon spends attacking the town. Whilst it destroys Dougan's Hole in half an hour (it's pretty much toast, whatever), it spends a full eight hours attacking it's second target - Easthaven. That should give the PCs plenty of time to catch up.
So someone on reddit did an analysis that included the time the dragon spends burning, and it doesn't help - you can read it here. Essentially, the closest town is a 35 hour dog sled ride away, but that's the first town to be burned. Bryn Shander is the only town they can get to with any time to spare, and it's the last on the dragon's path.

Remove ads