D&D 5E Sane Magic Item Prices

Saidoro

Explorer
The magic item price rules have been compiled into an excellent pdf by Inconnunom.

Let's talk about flying items. There are a few items which give the ability to fly in the 5e DMG. Among the first I came across were the Winged Boots and the Broom of Flying. The Boots give a fly speed equal to your walking speed for 4 hours per day divisible into 1 minute chunks while the broom gives you a flat 50 foot fly speed all day long, decreasing to 30 feet if you are particularly heavy. Both are clearly very powerful, if you've got two sides in a combat one of which can fly and one of which can't the flying side has a huge advantage. If the other side also has no good ranged attacks the flying team more or less wins automatically. Yet both the Boots and the Broom are uncommon, they only cost 500 gold, pretty much any adventurer who decides they want one should be able to get their hands on one if they really want to.

Right under the Winged Boots are the Wings of Flying. The Wings give you a fly speed of 60 feet for one hour but then require a 1d12 hour cooldown period after each use before they can be activated again. Again, a pretty powerful item, but probably less useful than either the Broom or the Boots for most practical purposes. The higher move speed will occasionally pay off, but usually the ability to fly whenever you want will win out in terms of practical utility. At most, it's definitely not better than either the Broom or the Boots. The Wings of Flying are a rare item. They are worth 5,000 gold, 10 times what the boots or broom are worth.

The next item I found was the boots of levitation. These boots let you use levitate as the spell at will. Levitate moves you straight up or down only. It can never move you more than 20 feet off the ground or more than 20 feet up or down at a time. It has a similar weight limit to the Broom. It consumes your Concentration slot. You can't use it for longer than 10 minutes on end without returning to the ground. The boots of levitation are rare items. They are worth 5,000 gold, just like the Wings of Flying. 10 times more than the Winged Boots or the Broom.

The next item I found was the potion of flying. The potion of flying gives a fly speed equal to your walk speed the same as the Winged Boots do. It lasts one hour like the Wings of Flying, and can only be used once ever. The potion of flying is Very Rare. It is worth 50,000. 100 times what an item that gives precisely the same effect 4 times every single day forever does.

When the red mists had receded and I was once again able to speak in words other than the incoherent babblings of a shattered mind, I set about fixing this clear and present lunacy masquerading as legitimate rules text.

The fixed prices are located here. Please comment either here or there telling me what you think, if I've blatantly miscalculated the value of an item I'd like to know about it.

Last edited:

Very rare items range in price from 5,001gp to 50,000. The differ in price between rare wings and the very rare potion might be only 1gp.

And flying is also hardly auto-win. Melee PCs still have to be close enough to hit, so flying isn't of any combat advantage safe avoiding terrain. To a ranged character flying helps, but they'd likely be far out of melee range anyway (and behind a tank) so whether they're touching the ground or not is often irrelevant.

Saidoro

Explorer
Very rare items range in price from 5,001gp to 50,000. The differ in price between rare wings and the very rare potion might be only 1gp.

And flying is also hardly auto-win. Melee PCs still have to be close enough to hit, so flying isn't of any combat advantage safe avoiding terrain. To a ranged character flying helps, but they'd likely be far out of melee range anyway (and behind a tank) so whether they're touching the ground or not is often irrelevant.

The price to craft a very rare item and the base price upon selling a very rare item are 50,000. While it's presented as a range, the claim that it actually is one is just flat-out incorrect.

And sure, a single melee focused character may not automatically win all fights as a result of being able to fly. (Though they'd still get a massive advantage with the ability to start out of reach, move into reach to attack twice, and then move back out of reach in the same turn.) But any character at all with the ability to fly and at least one ranged attack gains the ability to singlehandedly defeat any opponent who cannot fly or make ranged attacks, which is quite a fair number of them (any beast, any giant bug, a whole bunch of monstrosities). And anyone flying and focusing on ranged attacks can generally beat most encounters made of creatures which have ranged attacks, but not strong ones. And if the whole party can fly those sorts of encounters just become trivial.

Zaran

Adventurer

Even if they were the same price, it's still a consumable that is lost while the boots of flying are not.

Saidoro, I think you just need to ignore those prices and come up with something that makes sense. The DMG was made last and it has Mearls level inconsistencies. For one thing, consumable items are probably no where near the cost to buy or create but are still have the same rarity as permanent items. As for the other items. Just boost what items you think are more powerful to the next category.

they only cost 500 gold, pretty much any adventurer who decides they want one should be able to get their hands on one if they really want to.

Except 5E does away with the idea that magic items are a simple commodity that can be easily bought and sold. If you don't want your players to have a given item ... don't make it available. There is certainly no reason players should be comparison shopping between a half dozen flying items trying to decide which is most cost efficient way to "auto win".

Obviously you can decide that magic items are more commonly available in your campaign than is the norm - but you are also free to decide that the prices reflect your evaluation of the items power.

Last edited:

Fanaelialae

Legend
The price to craft a very rare item and the base price upon selling a very rare item are 50,000. While it's presented as a range, the claim that it actually is one is just flat-out incorrect.

Actually, all it means is that the craft/sell price isn't directly based on the buy price, but rather on the rarity. Personally, I'd simply ignore the DMG and base them on the buy price. The buy price is quite clearly a range.

And if the whole party can fly those sorts of encounters just become trivial.

This is one of those prime examples of why magic marts can be a bad idea. (Which is not the same as never allowing the players to buy magic items.) You should control what is available. If a GM lets everyone in the party buy a Broom of Flying, then what happens as a result is on him. It would be no different than if a slain dragon's horde contained a Broom of Flying for every member of the party. On the other hand, if there are only two flying items available in that part of the campaign world (whether as treasure or for sale), then suddenly it becomes much harder to break the game with flight.

Having one or two items that can confer flight is fine. The wizard in my campaign has a Broom of Flying, and it hasn't caused any issues. It's true, there are some encounters where he's not threatened at all, but the same can't be said for the rest of the party. And there are plenty of encounters where I can challenge him just fine using ranged attackers and flying creatures. Particularly in the case of flying creatures, flight can actually become a hindrance since the warriors in the party can't get to him to interpose themselves while he's in the sky.

Saidoro

Explorer
Except 5E does away with the idea that magic items are a simple commodity that can be easily bought and sold. If you don't want your players to have a given item ... don't make it available. There is certainly no reason players should be comparison shopping between a half dozen flying items trying to decide which is most cost efficient way to "auto win".

Obviously you can decide that magic items are more commonly available in your campaign than is the norm - but you are also free to decide that the prices reflect your evaluation of the items power.

Let's put it this way: Players can sell magic items. It's really impossible to remove that capability from them without removing every single intelligent NPC they ever interact with. When players sell a broom of flying, they get 500(ish) gold. By contrast, when they sell a suit of plate mail they get 750 gold. This is obviously absurd. If you want to go out of your way to prevent your players from getting their hands on magic items that's your business and I say as much in the readme, but any world where you're using the prices in the DMG for ANYTHING is an absurd one. Furthermore, not every GM is going to be great at evaluating what the items they're tossing around are going to do to the party's power level, and these prices can give a rough guideline. Finally, let's say that your PCs meet someone else with a magic item. Now obviously, in your setting magic items are much too valuable to be sold for gold, but equally obviously that does absolutely nothing to stop people swapping magic items with each other like trading cards if they both want to. Given that world, do you think anyone will EVER trade a broom of flying for a potion of flying? If no, why is the potion 50 times more valuable if you do ​try to turn it into gold and if yes, why?

Last edited:

Saidoro

Explorer
Having one or two items that can confer flight is fine. The wizard in my campaign has a Broom of Flying, and it hasn't caused any issues. It's true, there are some encounters where he's not threatened at all, but the same can't be said for the rest of the party. And there are plenty of encounters where I can challenge him just fine using ranged attackers and flying creatures. Particularly in the case of flying creatures, flight can actually become a hindrance since the warriors in the party can't get to him to interpose themselves while he's in the sky.

In those encounters where the wizard is not threatened, why does the wizard not just tell everyone else to leave while he handles things? I know exactly why he doesn't do that from an OOC standpoint, but from an IC tactical one the party is just making a horrible decision by putting people at risk when they don't need to be.

Remove ads