D&D 5E Sane Magic Item Prices

Saidoro

Explorer
I didn't see this problem IME. Likely because we edited the magic items list. Not everything in the book existed in the world, and even if a particular thing did exist, we had to discover it in character.
If you play by rules that are not the rules that are in the book it is unsurprising that the results you received were not the results generated by the rules in the book.
Ignoring the optional crafting section, yes, they do have a range. The crafting section likely went high to semi-discourage crafting, but for a campaign with more magic the middle or lower values can easily be swapped in.
Which would be a houserule. And honestly, a less effective one than the houserules you can easily access by clicking a link in the first post.

Putting all the flying stuff aside as it isn't the main point of the thread.
The price of consumables is a little funky. A price adjustment (x.25 or something) should be all that's needed. Still only a problem with using the optional crafting rules or buying, which won't affect many games. The fact a potion of flying is unusually expensive doesn't matter when you find it in a dragon hoard.
Except it kinda does because of what happens when the PCs go back to town and realize that the price that people will give them for that potion is completely ludicrous. And that they can use it to buy mercenaries or elephants or castles or other things which actually have a hell of a lot more utility to them as adventurers than the potion ever could have.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
If you play by rules that are not the rules that are in the book it is unsurprising that the results you received were not the results generated by the rules in the book.

What rules did I violate? There is absolutely nothing in the books that says all magic items are all available.

I was just offering advice, a way to tune it so the inconsistencies would not be glaring.

Game on!

Which would be a houserule. And honestly, a less effective one than the houserules you can easily access by clicking a link in the first post.
Honestly... never clicked. The negative attitude of the first post entirely put me off. The tone was too hostile and laced with hyperbole for me to be interested in the linked rules.

Saidoro

Explorer
What rules did I violate? There is absolutely nothing in the books that says all magic items are all available.

I was just offering advice, a way to tune it so the inconsistencies would not be glaring.

Game on!
I apologize, I was overly terse in my previous post. There is nothing in the text in 3.5 to indicate that certain items may cause problems moreso than others do and nothing to indicate that certain magic items should be available at the listed prices while others are not. Additionally, the natural reading of the text seems to be that magic items in general are available for purchase by default as evidenced by the fact that that seems to be the way that the majority of players and DMs who I have communicated with seem to do things. I've tried to improve on this somewhat by dividing the items by category and listing items likely to cause problems for the GM separately for special consideration. If you have any further insights about how I could improve my system I would be interested in hearing them. (And will try to be less rude.)
Honestly... never clicked. The negative attitude of the first post entirely put me off. The tone was too hostile and laced with hyperbole for me to be interested in the linked rules.
As I saw things I made a list of statements about the rules in the DMG and then made one joke. Could you perhaps point to what about it that you found so objectionable that you could not bear to look upon the rules presented?

Hussar

Legend
/snip

As I saw things I made a list of statements about the rules in the DMG and then made one joke. Could you perhaps point to what about it that you found so objectionable that you could not bear to look upon the rules presented?

If I may?

When the red mists had receded and I was once again able to speak in words other than the incoherent babblings of a shattered mind, I set about fixing this clear and present lunacy masquerading as legitimate rules text.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?462510-Sane-Magic-Item-Prices#ixzz3ePxmrKL7

is probably the source of the view.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
Honestly, for the moment, my game's prices are as printed, save for unnamed ammunition, scrolls, and potions. Ammunition and scrolls are 3/4 the listed price, and potions are half the listed price. Its worked out fine to this point. I've been considering lowering them a little bit...but things get weird. For example, an Adamantine Breastplate, if I, for example, lower the cost to half for magic items, costs less than a non-magical breastplate. Which is simply weird.

In hindsight, now, I'm not even sure the magic item costs need to be changed, save for as listed above. Maybe make ammunition and scrolls half rather than three-quarters...

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I apologize, I was overly terse in my previous post. There is nothing in the text in 3.5 to indicate that certain items may cause problems moreso than others do and nothing to indicate that certain magic items should be available at the listed prices while others are not. Additionally, the natural reading of the text seems to be that magic items in general are available for purchase by default as evidenced by the fact that that seems to be the way that the majority of players and DMs who I have communicated with seem to do things. I've tried to improve on this somewhat by dividing the items by category and listing items likely to cause problems for the GM separately for special consideration. If you have any further insights about how I could improve my system I would be interested in hearing them. (And will try to be less rude.)

No worries. All is good.

Buying magic items in general as default is one way of doing things (and is neither right nor wrong). My experience has been more moderate, some DMs allowed it, while others didn't. Its a campaign building decision, much like allowing or not allowing certain classes. There is no guideline saying "watch out for this or that". Just trial and error, common sense, and other folk's experiences.

The main point I was trying to make was if you found pricing/inconsistancies among the flying items that seemed wrong, then take steps to fix it. Much like you are.

However, if I had found the pricing issues you found I would get rid of the items that made no sense. Perhaps Brooms of Flying do not exist. In otherwords, prune the items list until you get a set of items that increases in value, and in utility, making more sense for your campaign. I like fly to have duration, so most "always on" items either do not exist in game, or have to be discovered via quests or rp, at which point they have earned it.

I look at items the same way I do "problem" spells, they are dials I can tweak to get a certain flavor of game, OR resolve inconsistencies that bug me or my players.

A final example. Nobody alive in my campaign world knows the teleport spell. Legends talk of it, but nobody knows it. Now, there are one or two cities that have ancient teleport circles still active, so they became centers of trade and commerce. So in this campaign, any issues with readily available teleport never come up. In other campaigns we were teleporting all over the place, and the DM had to modify his style.

Full circle back to your pricing and magic items of flying. What you discovered about price and usefullness seems valid to me. Hence my suggestion, slightly modified;

Either remove items that make no sense in your buy/sell magic world, or change the price/rarity around until it makes sense, for you and your friends.

Long winded for a short answer.

DaveDash

Explorer
After a while gold becomes meaningless anyway.

My characters (giving out 0.5x the number of hoards recommended in the DMG) have about ~90,000GP each. And that's after spending gold on strongholds. Once you start getting above level 12, the difference between 500gp and 5000gp is not even worth considering.

Unless you're running Hoard of the Broke Queen....then even probably 500gp is insurmountable even if the entire party pool their resources together. And it's not like you will get enough downtime to craft anything anyway.

Long story short, gold isn't a great balancing mechanism for items in D&D. It's not even in modern MMO's game theory, which is why some of them are/have moved away from that model.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
The price of consumables is a little funky. A price adjustment (x.25 or something) should be all that's needed. Still only a problem with using the optional crafting rules or buying, which won't affect many games. The fact a potion of flying is unusually expensive doesn't matter when you find it in a dragon hoard.
Until you go to sell it and find no one can afford it.

Or until you go to exchange it for an army's worth of brooms of flying and other knick-knacks.

Or you say to the DM "We sell this pile of stuff that we don't want" and he says "sure, just use the book prices" and you make out like bandits.

Sure, the rules work fine for an attentive DM who micro manages everything. But I'm a lazy DM, and sometimes I want to skip over boring stuff, like selling things that the party consider junk.

Remove ads