seasong's Light Against The Dark II (May 13)

incognito

First Post
Is there anyone who belive this olympiad will go as planned?

By the way, senor-seasong, kudo's on a lenghty update! We have met Athan's replacement - but...we are in the dark about what he can do, aren't we?

Just three Q's today
1. To what extent has Greppa's ability to fly hindered adventure design (little, medium, lots)
2. Was thier a 'level' penalty for Athan's player? I assume not, as this game is more about the playing than the power.
3. Can we get a vingette/insight into giant society? Those big boys are dying, and it seems liek conscription into the orc armies is suicidal. HOw to the giant's moms n' pops take it?

seasong

First Post
incognito said:
Is there anyone who belive this olympiad will go as planned?
Not among the PCs, certainly.
We have met Athan's replacement - but...we are in the dark about what he can do, aren't we?
I forgot to write up their wilderness encounter on the way back - I'll try to do that tonight or tomorrow. It was just a straight up fight, with minor acts of heroism, so it just honestly didn't stand out to me... but it does showcase everyone's roles and abilities fairly well. It also features a hydra, which was a plus :).
1. To what extent has Greppa's ability to fly hindered adventure design (little, medium, lots)
Well, that depends on what you mean by the question :). I have little sticky notes to myself on "things to keep in mind", and Greppa's ability to fly (or impart flight on someone else) is one of those things.

The ability to fly does remove certain types of scenario I can produce, such as difficulty crossing a bridge, unless I'm willing to contort a bit (the "difficulty" is a toll giant with a lot of boulders to throw and a good, long range).

But for purposes of challenges... some of them I just design with the intent that if someone isn't flying, it can't be done. Then I make sure that Greppa is tired from other spell casting before he arrives at the challenge, and he has the option of heroically exhausting himself casting fly, or trying to find some other way so that he can still cast when he reaches whatever I've put at the other side... :).
2. Was thier a 'level' penalty for Athan's player? I assume not, as this game is more about the playing than the power.
You assume correctly.
3. Can we get a vingette/insight into giant society? Those big boys are dying, and it seems liek conscription into the orc armies is suicidal. HOw to the giant's moms n' pops take it?
Heh :). I may write a vignette about the Breaking Cat tribe trying to hornswaggle a giant into helping them "with this little problem we're having out west". Not today, though - I've got deadlines at work :(.

Talix

Explorer
Wow, cool stuff. I really like how the new character is seeing everything from an outsider's viewpoint. :)

Cool to have their orc allies back, and I look forward to the celebration! :D Agina was awesome too, of course.

seasong

First Post
Note: this happened BEFORE the party arrived back in Theralis from Aglaonis, AFTER picking up Bellos. I forgot to write it in, so here it is.

Sign of the Times

Greppa and Merideth were telling more stories about Athan. Bellos was attempting to listen, but really, there's only so many times you can hear about when Athan lifted this big heavy thing or wrestled that big strong thing before it got a bit weary on the soul. It was almost with relief that he saw something moving among the trees, and as he was pointing, the relief turned to fear.

It wasn't an earth serpent, coming up from the depths for a look about. It wasn't a black bear. It wasn't anything Bellos might have wanted to point at as a beautiful thing of nature to distract the two.

It was a gods-damned hydra. Easily twenty feet in length, with massive, hoofed legs in front and five fawn-spotted python heads, it spotted the trio about the same time they spotted it. Hissing with something between rage and glee, it charged at the group, heads grasping forward as it closed the gap.

Greppa didn't pause to think - he scrambled backwards and away from the monster, his hands prepping sun streaks while his legs prepped distance. Somewhere in Greppa's brain, away from all of the action and adrenaline and anxiety, some part of him realized, Damn, Bellos is fast...

While Greppa was watching his sun streaks sunburn the hide of the monster, Bellos was closing the distance to the hydra, a sling in hand. As he got close enough for a good shot, the sling, whistling in his hand, released the stone with sufficient force to force a grunt from the creature, and Bellos backed off to cover Merideth again.

Merideth just waited, hands crackling and eyes steady. And then it was upon them, missing Bellos with snake-like strikes. Bellos just yelled at it, egging it on, daring it to try again as he started to pull out his oversized meat cleaver. Greppa, taking a terrible chance, stepped close briefly to summon a spirit of elemental earth in the form of stoneskin into Bellos. He took a bite for his trouble, but managed it, and retreated again.

Then, combat. Not pretty, not fast, just close teamwork between three seasoned warriors to take down an abomination of the gods. Merideth killed the life force of one head after another, occasionally pausing to heal Bellos or herself, while Bellos efficiently whacked off one to two heads at a time. After the first pair grew back, Greppa switched to fire servants to cauterize the wounds the other two dealt and abort the growth of new heads.

When they were done, nine heads lay on the ground, and five blackened heads remained. Fourteen necks twitched in death throes, and, just to be certain, the trio whacked the corpse into bits.

The spell casters were exhausted, and Bellos was still gravely wounded, but they decided to move on rather than risk facing scavengers. Somewhere in Greppa's dim memories of Hurath's books, he remembered that wyverns were scavengers... They hurried on to Theralis.

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Seasong,

Thanks for all of the updates recently. There has been quite a frenzy of them, which just drives all of us fan-boys into a frenzy as well. But yeah, that life thing comes along sometimes to. We'll wait, even if we whine sometimes...

John

seasong

First Post
Vignette: Big Stump

Long ago, there was a giant named Big Stump. He would find a mostly dead tree, grasp the top and kick it apart near the middle, then pound the jagged top flat with a rock until he had a nice sittin' stump.

One day, another giant saw him do it, and thought it was a fascinating idea. They got to talking, and it turned out Big Stump had lots of cool ideas, just not much initiative to get them going.

Take armor cats, for example. Big Stump had seen an armor cat drop down on a big deer and kill it dead in seconds. It took a giant a whole day of throwing pebbles before nailing on of those deer. Big Stump was pretty sure that if you tied a long rope to the armor cat, and carried it around until you saw a deer, then kind of gently tossed the armor cat near the deer... you'd have a meal by noon. You'd have to yank the cat back, of course, and you'd have to hunt two deer, to feed the armor cat, but with so little effort involved, what giant would mind hunting two deer?

The only problem was getting the rope, and the armor cat. Big Stump wasn't real motivated to go to all that effort just yet.

Big Stump's BIG idea, though, was war. He'd seen little orcs fighting each other all the time, and they weren't very good at it. They'd run at each other, hollering and banging on their drums, and then they'd throw little prickly things at each other, and then some of them would die and the rest would run away.

Big Stump figured, orcs made pretty good beer mash, hunted better'n giants, and were pretty smart... they just couldn't fight worth a damn. So maybe a trade could be arranged.

The other giant thought about this some, wrapping his mind around Big Stump's convuluted trade agreement, then solemnly nodded. It sounded like a pretty good idea, as long as they weren't fighting each other.

Big Stump had thought of that, too. If two giants were working for orcs on both sides of a fight, they wouldn't target each other. It would be a gentle giant's agreement.

With a friend to help him on this new idea, Big Stump finally got motivated. He began looking for other giants, explaining to them his vision, and talking to orcs (the ones who didn't flee immediately) and making trade agreements. He learned a lot in that first year, like how to dodge boulders until he got in range to talk.

Now, a few dozen years later, Big Stump was getting on in years, and it was mostly his sons, cattle-fed muscleheads (he was so proud), who carried on war making for orcs. For the most part, Big Stump was pretty happy with life. Sure, a giant occasionally got killed by a swarm of orcs mad about some relatives' death, but giants were used to that anyway. It happened whether there was war or not, and this way, there was a lot more food and sittin' on stumps to go around.

Not that he sat on stumps anymore. A dragon had explained to him, about twenty years ago, that mountainsides were just as kind to the tush, and that giants weren't big enough to fight with dragons, either. But that was another story.

Today, Big Stump had a problem. A lot of orcs were moving west, and starting to hire giants to go with them. Word had trickled back, though, because giants were getting killed with alarming regularity. There was a valley, a very nice valley to hear orcs talk about it, that everyone wanted, but someone already had. And that someone was kicking everyone else's tush into powder, giants included.

Big Stump had sent a pair of his best stone slingers with the armor cat orcs when they'd declared that they were going to go take that valley, tail-kicking or not, to test the waters and see how well they did. Now his best pair were dead, and the armor cat orcs were kicking anyone's tail that talked about it... which meant it went badly.

Big Stump was going to have to think about that, and decide what to do. And that meant no sittin', for a while.

Last edited:

Remove ads