• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Second Day of Mourning (Part II; Judge: Renau1g)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdytenor

First Post
Gurdan watches as Riel works his magic.

"Not exactly what I had in mind," he grumbles. "But it works. Now let's get outta' here!"

Gurdan groans and moans as he pulls his heavy frame along the cave. Come on, this is nothing compared to what we endured in the war, he thinks. He tries his best to concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other. (Endurance 29)

Kalidrev

First Post
While Gurdan pulls himself along tirelessly, the two warlocks concentrate on keeping the collapse from reaching the group. Concentrating on the material structure of the rotting beams above, Riel feels the snowflake on his palm freeze. Oddly, it doesn't seem to hurt him one bit, and as it gets colder and colder, he instinctively reaches his hand out toward the nearest beam. A lance of ice shoots from Riel's palm piercing and pinning the wooden beam to the rock. Icicles begin to form along the ceiling beam and soon the wood is entirely encased in a thick sheet of ice. It would eventually melt, but it should hold for a while. Deep in the recesses of his mind, Riel can hear a familiar voice reminding him of his task and wishing him luck in the future.

Wishing to lend aid to the group in the same fashion as Riel, Garrick begins to chant a spell of his own. Unfortunately, he does not seem as able as Riel in creating spells off-the-cuff, and the ritual backfires, creating a blast of force that knocks Garrick on his back. His head spins for a moment and his vision is clouded by a vision of flashing stars. Thankfully, the misfired spell never reaches its intended ceiling beam, so no further harm was done to the structure of the cavern.

[sblock=Skill Challenge Mini-Update]

- Riel: Arcana 31! (Success)

- Garrick: Arcana 16 (Canceled Fail). (Garrick loses a healing surge, but this fail does not count toward a failure in this round due to Garricks' actions in the previous round.)

- Gurdan: Endurance 29 (Success)

Successes: 3/12
Failures: 1/3 [/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
Lo-kag notices a load bearing beam begin to buckle. Maybe I can ram into it, locking it back into place, he thinks to himself as rams into the beam. His inpact is just enough force to lock it back into place. "Yessssss!" Lo-kag looks elsewhere for other potential problem areas.

[slbock=action]
endurace check: 1d20+7=20
[/sblock]

Kalidrev

First Post
[sblock=ooc] Dimsdale, I would see Lo-Kag's action as more of an athletics check (aka bull rush) rather than being an endurance check. If you keep your same roll on the d20, what is your athletics result? [/sblock]

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Alexia's eyes dart from rock to rock and from beam to beam as she tries to determine whether future efforts would be better spent continuing to reinforce this area or moving farther into the cave.

ooc: Perception 23.

dimsdale

First Post
[sblock=ooc] Dimsdale, I would see Lo-Kag's action as more of an athletics check (aka bull rush) rather than being an endurance check. If you keep your same roll on the d20, what is your athletics result? [/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]
I wasn't quite sure what the skill would be so I took a guess. :) An athletics check would actually be better 1d20+10=23
[/sblock]

Kalidrev

First Post
When Lo-Kag rams the load bearing beam, he causes the cave to straighten itself considerably in the area that they were at. Because of the volatility of the rest of the structures, however, a part of the cave farther back began to sag in on itself. When the collapse reached this section the cave seemed to fight against itself for a moment before finally giving in with a deafening sound of splitting rock.

Hearing this, the group quickly moves through the long meandering tunnel and just as they begin seeing the collapse approach their position, they find themselves walking into a wide cavern, bits of dust spraying them as the tunnel fills itself in with rock.

Splitting the cavern in two from east to west is a wide chasm that easily spans twenty feet. Rushing water can be heard at the bottom of the chasm, though it is too deep and dark to actually see. The walls are coated in a strange purple algae that glows just enough to provide the party with enough light to not stumble into the chasm. As the heroes investigate the scene, Alexia sees two wide posts near the center and on both sides of the chasm. Bits of rope dangle from the posts on the far side of the chasm, which gives Alexia a clue to continue looking. Soon, she spots a tangle of rope and wood that has been heaped into a pile that lies in the shadows on the far side of the chasm. That pile could only be one thing: a bridge!

[sblock=Skill Challenge: Part 2!]

Congratulations! With Lo-Kag's successful Athletics check, you guys reached a total of 4 successes, enough to move on to part 2 of the skill challenge!

THB: Because you guys were moving on to the next part, I just reworked the results of your post, so I hope you don't mind! You did, however, get the one and only success that is possible from the Perception skill in part 2. Congrats!

[sblock=Part 1; Round 2]

- Riel: Arcana 31! (Success)

- Garrick: Arcana 16 (Canceled Fail). (Garrick loses a healing surge, but this fail does not count toward a failure in this round due to Garricks' actions in the previous round.)

- Gurdan: Endurance 29 (Success)

- Lo-Kag: Athletics 23 (Success) (This grants the group their 4th success, which moves the skill challenge into part 2!)
[/sblock]

---- Part 2; Round 2----

- Alexia: Perception 23 (Success) (No more successes can be gained by using perception in Part 2 of this skill challenge)

- Grryth: (Yet to post for round 2)

Successes: 5/12
Failures: 1/3
[/sblock]

DMDanW

First Post
[sblock=Question]
So this chasm, it is 20' across correct? That means that with a running start (of 2 squares) Grryth would need to clear 4 squares (or a athletics check result of 20+) correct?

I just want to clarify before attempting this, since it could possibly result in a VERY negative result for Grryth
[/sblock]

Kalidrev

First Post
[sblock=Chasm] The chasm is, indeed, 20 feet across, and Grryth would need to clear 4 squares of deadly, deadly space to get to the other side ;) [/sblock]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads