Selling the D&D brand and assets - Hasbro only way out of this mess?

Alby87

Adventurer
Everyone knows: Wizards will never been able to recover from this massive damage. No faith in OGL 1.0(a) can ever be restored. A lot of competition will rise in small time. A lot of people hate the company behind the game, not the game. So... it's time for Hasbro to sell everything? The brand has still massive appeal, 50th anniversary next year, lot of work already done in form of assets, both published and unpublished. It's going really down because of higher management doing a really bad move.

But... starting a new with a new really big company, that knows what messing with the fanbase means? One that promptly restores the OGL 1.0a in a new irrevokable form, liberates the SRDs (3 and 5.1) and starts a new dialogue with players and 3PP? One that will be the Aragorn to Hasbro's Sauron stunt? Sure, this means that 2023 will be poor on releases, maybe delaying movie and tv series, but at least the 2024 will be an happier year for everyone loving D&D.

Will this "revert" a little the damage done in these days?

THey have a movie and a TV show in the next year or so, they are ready to rebrand with a new (maybe) edition and the sales are at an all time high. I could not make an argument to sell on a bet.

IF I were in the big chair (I would be making more money and be happier) I would bet on riding this out and 'wining back' with 1D&D.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
tumblr_mr2makHRTz1qjejgbo1_500.gif

It seems that the situation is not so good for them. Maybe I've generalized a lot, but surely something between Wizards and us (players and creators) has broke. In a bad way.
We don't know what is or isn't happening. We don't have an announcement yet, and even when we do there will be a non 0 amount of people who side with wotc. Until the dust settles we don't know how big a hit this will be to them.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
So... it's time for Hasbro to sell everything? The brand has still massive appeal
This pretty much tells you everything you need to know. They're not going to because they don't want other people making that chance.

If things go bad, Hasbro'll just sit on it for a few years and bring back a revival 6E in a few years. They're not going to throw away a potential movie maker and toyline that easily

I think that if Hasbro were to permit an abrupt about-face, it would make more sense for them long term to keep the D&D brand. Yes, rebuilding the trust of 3pp and upset gamers would be the work of a generation, but once that had happened, wouldn't it be better to still be the folks holding onto the IP?

Scribe

Legend
I think that if Hasbro were to permit an abrupt about-face, it would make more sense for them long term to keep the D&D brand. Yes, rebuilding the trust of 3pp and upset gamers would be the work of a generation, but once that had happened, wouldn't it be better to still be the folks holding onto the IP?

Yep, the odds D&D fails to remain a money maker, are approaching zero.

Remove ads