Selling the D&D brand and assets - Hasbro only way out of this mess?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Complaining online is one thing. The question is will those feelings translate into actions. When people stop living under the yoke of WOTC and start playing/supporting different systems is when I'll be convinced.
I mean, apparently DDB subs were canceled in droves today, so the feelings are seemingly translating into actions. Will those actions lead to Hazbro selling the brand? I highly doubt it. I think the best we can realistically hope for is that they make 1.1 opt-in. I don't think anything short of revising 1.0 to be definitively irrevocable will restore the trust of 3rd party publishers (and even then not all of them), but I don't think that's going to happen. So, I think any way you slice it, we're headed for a future where there's little to no 3rd party support for D&D. But I don't think Hazbro will mind that terribly. This move was likely made in hopes of controlling the brand, more than extracting revenue.

All this OGL business is too inside baseball for the vast majority of players to care much about and the D&D brand will remain a goldmine even if the game itself suffers. Even if large scale 3rd party content shrivels up and dies, the first party content and free or small-time 3rd party content will remain legion (publishing on DMs Guild will remain an appealing way to dip ones toes into 3rd party content creation) and most people really only need so much content made by other people before they move to homebrewing their own. It all seems like the world is falling to those of us plugged into the D&D-oriented web forums and social media, where D&D news is closely followed and 3rd party creators and their friends and allies tend to be present and active, but the bulk of players do not really have that relationship with the game. Half the people I play with who were vaguely aware of the situation dismissed it as just another internet controversy. And a company can easily get by shedding a large number of customers if the remaining customers are better exploited.

Which is not to say this isn't a big deal, or that it won't impact WotC and Hasbro's bottom line or do long term harm to a very strong brand and customer good will towards the brand and companies. It's just to say that I don't see the damage materializing in a way they actually meaningfully respond to in the near term. The long term damage will come when, out of the manifold existing and soon to be created challengers to the D&D crown, one or two games gain momentum in picking up the business and 3rd party relationships that WotC has so callously thrown away, acquire widespread appeal for their own brands and WotC's ability to function (and profiteer) like a quasi-monopoly dies.

Remove ads