• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sentinel feat

Dausuul

Legend
Even if you take the most expansive reading of how Sentinel works, that would only result in a deadlock with Mobile: Sentinel says you get an OA and Mobile says you don't.

I can see no reason this deadlock should be resolved in favor of Sentinel, and several reasons it shouldn't:

• There are other plausible readings of Sentinel which do not cause the deadlock. There are no such readings of Mobile. If a rule is ambiguous, it's preferable to interpret it in the way that causes minimal conflict with other rules.
  • If Mobile wins, both feats retain some effectiveness. The Mobile user can escape the Sentinel, but must attack the Sentinel to do it; thus, Sentinel is still constraining the Mobile user's options. If Sentinel wins, the Mobile effect is completely shut down.
  • Combat is generally more fun and interesting with more movement.

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
And mobility has other aspects, like +10 speed and ignoring difficult terrain.

In your reading. Mobile is completely negated by Sentinel. +10 movement and ignoring difficult terrain doesn't exist if my speed is reduced to 0 because of ypur Sentinel. I might as well erase the feat from my sheet.

In my reading, only part of Sentinel is shut down by Mobil3. You still get a lot of benefit from the feat even if I don't provoke.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
Official ruling from Crawford

Jeremy Crawford (@JeremyECrawford) tweeted at 9:41pm - 7 Dec 15:

The second benefit of the Sentinel feat is intended to counteract the Disengage action only. #DnD

Chillwhisper

Villager
Just to throw another log the fire, how would you interpret sentinel relative to somebody using Repelling Blast or Thorn Whip to move the creature away from you, rather than the creature using its own move action?

Opportunity attacks are pretty specific about requiring a move action to trigger the reaction. so my interpretation is that Sentinel does not allow the reaction in those cases... but it does seem a little ambiguous since the trigger for the reaction is now described in the feat rather than being part of the more general rules for the opportunity attack.

Sacrosanct

Legend
In your reading. Mobile is completely negated by Sentinel. +10 movement and ignoring difficult terrain doesn't exist if my speed is reduced to 0 because of ypur Sentinel. I might as well erase the feat from my sheet.

Because you only ever spend every combat round in melee with an opponent with the Sentinel feat? Seems to me, even with that interpretation, you'd still get the benefits of the mobile feat 99% of the time. Which hardly justifies "might as well erase it from my sheet."

Besides. When in doubt:

waibelsruile.jpg

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Just to throw another log the fire, how would you interpret sentinel relative to somebody using Repelling Blast or Thorn Whip to move the creature away from you, rather than the creature using its own move action?

Opportunity attacks are pretty specific about requiring a move action to trigger the reaction. so my interpretation is that Sentinel does not allow the reaction in those cases... but it does seem a little ambiguous since the trigger for the reaction is now described in the feat rather than being part of the more general rules for the opportunity attack.

No, forced movement doesn't provoke. I play this different with, say, a feared or charmed person, as they are 'forced', but using their own movement.

Horwath

Legend
No, forced movement doesn't provoke. I play this different with, say, a feared or charmed person, as they are 'forced', but using their own movement.

true.

being charmed/feared is not forced movement. It's compeled movement.

Forced movement is when you move because of outside force on your body, not your own locomotion.

Remove ads