• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SHANNARA

Water Bob

Adventurer
Yeah, The Sword of Shannara is an obvious Lord of the Rings rip-off, but it's a good rip-off. I loved the book. I read it back in high school. Where I couldn't get into the way LotR was written--Sword was much more my speed. I re-read it about 10 years ago, and I loved it a second time.

I haven't read any of the other Shannara books, but I've got them on my to-do list. I think Sword, though, was one of the first fantasy books I had ever read. I had started playing this new game--D&D, you may have heard of it--and I wanted something to read along those lines. I picked up some of Howard's Conan books. Loved them. Then, I read Moorecock's The Swords Trilogy, about Corum (loved it). And, then....I ended up reading The Sword of Shannara.

I remember, in reading that book, that is really sank in for me the concept of "alignment". You'd think it would have been the Moorecock books, but, nope, it was in Shannara. The ranger character, Menion Leah. Chaotic Good. I remember that scene where Menion is going to kill a gnome to create a distraction so that his comrades can escape past the horde. But, Menion couldn't bring himself to murder--even an enemy. Instead, he landed his arrow shaft in his target's behind. And, that created enough distraction.

Chaotic Good. I got it.

Well, I had to give the new Shannara Chronicles TV show a looksee. But, just a few minutes into the show, I become extremely disappointed. This show did not follow the Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings example. Instead, it would be more at home on The WB. It follows the Harry Potter/Eragon/Hunger Games/Twilight mold. This show is meant for a younger audience than me. It's meant for teens.

That's too bad. I was excited when I first heard of it.

I won't be wasting any time on this show.

lrsach01

Explorer
The problem I have is the WAY it;s playing to its demographic. They've made Wil and Amberle much more stupid and less thoughtful. In the books, Wil was a sober, intelligent man studying to be a doctor. Amberle was teaching elvish respect for nature to men. Both had good, solid, well-thought out reasons NOT to go on any adventures. Circumstances worked against them. This show makes them petulant teens.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Well, it was better than I thought it was going to be, yep it plays to the MTV demographics (my hope for mankind's future is bleak), may give it a few more shows just to see if improves or if a drinking game can be made from it.

Sacrosanct

Legend
The problem I have is the WAY it;s playing to its demographic. They've made Wil and Amberle much more stupid and less thoughtful. In the books, Wil was a sober, intelligent man studying to be a doctor. Amberle was teaching elvish respect for nature to men. Both had good, solid, well-thought out reasons NOT to go on any adventures. Circumstances worked against them. This show makes them petulant teens.

Agreed. Which is a shame. I think older teens/early 20s crowd that MTV caters to are smart enough to get the greater nuances that the book has that the TV show got rid of. Like that whole romance thing between Amberle and Lorean (sp). That was there only to placate the Twilight crowd and was unnecessary.

I was very disappointed in Paranor. That keep was pretty much a character like any of the others throughout the series. they completely neutered it. Gone are the thick forests and bramble walls to keep out intruders. Gone is the towering keep with it's maze of walls and magical furnace. I was also disappointed in Allanon. No, not the change in appearance (in the books, he's 7 feet tall), but because druids never had any magic but druid fire, really. In the show, he's using all kinds of different magic. And he certainly didn't have a romantic relationship with anyone. Ever. Apparently MTV thinks that every protagonist must have a romantic interest. bleh.

To the OP, you should really read the books. Elfstones (the next after Sword and what the movie is based off of) is one of the best in the series. And while Sword may have ripped off Tolkein, Tolkein ripped off folklore and mythology.

Water Bob

Adventurer
I know. I hate it when the actors look like they just got out of their cars, put on a costume, made sure their modern make-up and hair looks good, then tries to play a role.

Somebody remarked that we should not think Game of Thrones but Xena. I agree.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads