• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law trailer

pukunui

Legend
OK so lots to unpack with tonight’s episode!

I’m sure people more familiar with the comics will have more to say. I enjoyed it right up until the end, and then … I dunno. The whole toxic Anonymous-meets-QAnon Intelligencia thing is just a little too on the nose maybe and just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth … and the fact that a) real women have to deal with this sort of naughty word in real life and b) the writers decided to make this the triggering moment to show us Jen almost losing control just feels like we’re once again falling back on the same old “powerful woman can’t handle her power and goes mad” sexist trope.

On a more positive note, Daredevil was a real treat, and Jen said it out loud, so I guess we’ll be getting a red Hulk as some sort of bad guy version? I’m going to take a leap of faith and guess that this red Hulk will end up joining Val’s Anti-Avengers team along with Yelena and John Walker and such. Am I right?

Also, I want to see more of Luka Jacobson in the MCU because Griffin Matthews is just the best.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
That was a shock twist!
But yeah the Intelligencia thing was a bit much without some real payoff (of Savage She-Hulk). And why did everyone let the guys in gasmask escape and is it Damage Control waiting outside with the guns?

Stupid Fun Lilypad fight and a nice Matt-Jen hook up

But OMG the Sokovia Accords have been repealed!

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
On a more positive note, Daredevil was a real treat, and Jen said it out loud, so I guess we’ll be getting a red Hulk as some sort of bad guy version? I’m going to take a leap of faith and guess that this red Hulk will end up joining Val’s Anti-Avengers team along with Yelena and John Walker and such. Am I right?
There is no Red Hulk in the Thunderbolts promo illustration Disney showed at D23. Using Red Hulk in a fourth wall line indicates to me they have no current plans for an MCU Red Hulk.

Stalker0

Legend
b) the writers decided to make this the triggering moment to show us Jen almost losing control just feels like we’re once again falling back on the same old “powerful woman can’t handle her power and goes mad” sexist trope.
Ultimately the "can't handle their power and go mad" is the trope of the Hulk...I mean its one of the key principles of the whole Hulk gig.

I took it less as a woman thing specifically and more of what Bruce had cautioned against in the very first episode, that when you get triggered your power will go out of control as a hulk, and total control is necessary. Its just that for Jen she had none of the triggers that Bruce had, but this kind of "revelation" of very personal stuff, was a key one for her apparently.

And ultimately this didn't feel like a person going "mad", it was a literal moment of rage. Its clear right afterwards based on Jen's face that she has calmed down and she has very quickly realized what she has done, its just....well now the damage has been done.

I liked the Daredevil cameo, and it felt right to me. Whereas in Matt's own show he was dealing with more personal stakes, a kingpin he hated, watching his own people and streets get swallowed up by crime. In this case its him just doing a favor for a buddy, its literally just a light fun night out for him, so to see him in a less serious way just kicking back made sense to me. You could argue he would be more concerned with Jen knowing his secret identify, but Matt also has a strong intuition about people, and probably figures she would never betray that trust.

the fact that the Sokovia accords were repealed is very interesting, not entirely unexpected. It would be interesting to see what triggered that (maybe during the snap), as getting many countries to sign an agreement is no easy feat, and so repealing it would likely be a very large task.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The whole toxic Anonymous-meets-QAnon Intelligencia thing is just a little too on the nose maybe and just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth …

I think it being direct is the strong bit.

The makers of this show knew that there'd be a big toxic pushback to a strong female character, and they were entirely correct. This entire episode was letting them know that they are actually the villains of the piece, which I find to be marvelous.

and the fact that a) real women have to deal with this sort of naughty word in real life and b) the writers decided to make this the triggering moment to show us Jen almost losing control just feels like we’re once again falling back on the same old “powerful woman can’t handle her power and goes mad” sexist trope.

There is no "go mad" here. That was not Hulk fury - we can tell because she stopped, where an enraged Banner/Hulk would not. That was a woman who was rightfully pissed off at how she has been treated, and just happens to have the power to do something about it.

I mean, in that episode, Daredevil beat the living crud out of a dozen and more goons - hammers them all into unconsciousness. Not a peep about that violence. We are totally okay with it. When a woman is publicly humiliated, and she gets violent against a couple walls and a single person who afterwards can still get up and run away, she's "gone mad"?

On a more positive note, Daredevil was a real treat, and Jen said it out loud, so I guess we’ll be getting a red Hulk as some sort of bad guy version?

In the comics...Red Hulk is General "Thunderbolt" Ross, who falls to the old adage that when one fights monsters, one must be careful not to become one. There is no "good guy" Red Hulk - he's traditionally at best an anti-hero.

While it is possible they'll have a Red Hulk when they get around to the Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers, I think the line was more a nod to, "We know you're theorizing and expecting a Red Hulk here, and we are not going to do what you expect."

While it is possible they'll have a Red Hulk when they get around to the Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers, I think the line was more a nod to, "We know you're theorizing and expecting a Red Hulk here, and we are not going to do what you expect."

Yep, they did not even get her blood yet with the new, sturdier needle. I expect that in the final episode and then whoever they use it on to show up in a different series or a movie.

As for Red Hulk/Ross, there are a lot of rumors floating around about Ross being recast and Harrison Ford's name has come up to play him in the Thunderbolts movie.

This show is trying to do a few different things all at once, not everything gets hit out of the park but the rom-com stuff from this episode was great. I need to finally get around to watching Daredevil.

Stalker0

Legend
I mean, in that episode, Daredevil beat the living crud out of a dozen and more goons - hammers them all into unconsciousness. Not a peep about that violence. We are totally okay with it. When a woman is publicly humiliated, and she gets violent against a couple walls and a single person who afterwards can still get up and run away, she's "gone mad"?
That's less picking on women and more just comic book logic. You can cream the bad guys, but rough up one innocent and you get the public reaction. I mean hell the property damage she causes is just played for laughs, because she did it in pursuit of the bad guy, so all is forgiven. And to be fair, in this example Jen destroys property in a VERY PUBLIC gathering, she's snarling, roaring....I mean the optics aren't great, its understandable would people would get freaked out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads