• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shields useless for non-fighters?

coldpheasant

First Post
Magical shields have some interesting powers. Check the PHB 244-245.

Also, many paladin, cleric, and warlord powers do effects and deal damage independently of your weapon's damage. If you're a cleric that likes to use Lance of Faith and/or Sacred Flame for instance, then a two-hander brings you no benefit (accept for opportunity attacks) whereas the AC and reflex bonuses from your shield are always present.

Likewise, a warlord that primarily uses Commander's Strike and/or Furious Smash gains no benefit from his own weapon's properties but would benefit from a shield.

Paladin at-will powers do all base their damage on the weapon, so the class does seem to work better with a high-damage weapon, but if you look closer, bolstering strike and enfeebling strike are both defensive powers at heart. Giving the opponent -2 to hit combined with having a +2 to AC and reflex from a shield can make a paladin tank extremely difficult to hit. In fact, a paladin maximized for defense may be more difficult to kill than any other class so maximized.

An "optimal" paladin might not wield a shield. A "specialized" paladin would greatly benefit from a shield.

FadedC

First Post
Destil said:
Unless I've missed something it would be better to take Scale and Lightning Reflexes? No Dex needed, extra +1 reflex...

While a quite viable option, you do end up with 1 less AC from scale, and if you want to take scale specialization then you do in fact need a 15 dex.

Destil

Explorer
FadedC said:
While a quite viable option, you do end up with 1 less AC from scale, and if you want to take scale specialization then you do in fact need a 15 dex.
I forgot the 15 Dex for scale... but it does grant a +1 feat bonus to AC, it's just not in the chart.

So Lightning Reflex + Scale still seems like simply the better choice. Anything else I'm missing?

Goolpsy

First Post
So paragon feat + Scale is better than shield + Scale?
in that case.. why not go Scale + shield + lightning reflex -.-
only difference is that you dont get +1 damage for holding a weapon in 2 hands..

greyscale1

First Post
Actually, I think sheilds can be incredibly useful for all sorts of classes.

Take str based rogues for example. As of now there aren't a huge amount of feats to take advantage of so points in shields wouldnt be totally rediculous. The off-hand on a rogue has no functional purpose otherwise - just as a source for extra options.

FadedC

First Post
Destil said:
I forgot the 15 Dex for scale... but it does grant a +1 feat bonus to AC, it's just not in the chart.

So Lightning Reflex + Scale still seems like simply the better choice. Anything else I'm missing?

Well I just meant that you'd be -1 AC because your wearing scale instead of plate. I personally think the extra AC is worth it, but your mileage may vary.

WOLead

First Post
Shield of Deflection sounds like a good reason to grab either light or heavy shields as any class. 5 or 10 resistance to ranged attacks is a nice advantage to have, especially if you get hit by a ranged power that makes multiple attacks.

Chen_93

First Post
Destil said:

Hmm I coulda sworn there was no +1 ac bonus to scale even in its text. Has there been an errata? Or am I remembering things poorly?

Remove ads