Shields useless for non-fighters?

coldpheasant

First Post
Magical shields have some interesting powers. Check the PHB 244-245.

Also, many paladin, cleric, and warlord powers do effects and deal damage independently of your weapon's damage. If you're a cleric that likes to use Lance of Faith and/or Sacred Flame for instance, then a two-hander brings you no benefit (accept for opportunity attacks) whereas the AC and reflex bonuses from your shield are always present.

Likewise, a warlord that primarily uses Commander's Strike and/or Furious Smash gains no benefit from his own weapon's properties but would benefit from a shield.

Paladin at-will powers do all base their damage on the weapon, so the class does seem to work better with a high-damage weapon, but if you look closer, bolstering strike and enfeebling strike are both defensive powers at heart. Giving the opponent -2 to hit combined with having a +2 to AC and reflex from a shield can make a paladin tank extremely difficult to hit. In fact, a paladin maximized for defense may be more difficult to kill than any other class so maximized.

An "optimal" paladin might not wield a shield. A "specialized" paladin would greatly benefit from a shield.

FadedC

First Post
Destil said:
Unless I've missed something it would be better to take Scale and Lightning Reflexes? No Dex needed, extra +1 reflex...

While a quite viable option, you do end up with 1 less AC from scale, and if you want to take scale specialization then you do in fact need a 15 dex.

Destil

Explorer
FadedC said:
While a quite viable option, you do end up with 1 less AC from scale, and if you want to take scale specialization then you do in fact need a 15 dex.
I forgot the 15 Dex for scale... but it does grant a +1 feat bonus to AC, it's just not in the chart.

So Lightning Reflex + Scale still seems like simply the better choice. Anything else I'm missing?

Goolpsy

First Post
So paragon feat + Scale is better than shield + Scale?
in that case.. why not go Scale + shield + lightning reflex -.-
only difference is that you dont get +1 damage for holding a weapon in 2 hands..

greyscale1

First Post
Actually, I think sheilds can be incredibly useful for all sorts of classes.

Take str based rogues for example. As of now there aren't a huge amount of feats to take advantage of so points in shields wouldnt be totally rediculous. The off-hand on a rogue has no functional purpose otherwise - just as a source for extra options.

FadedC

First Post
Destil said:
I forgot the 15 Dex for scale... but it does grant a +1 feat bonus to AC, it's just not in the chart.

So Lightning Reflex + Scale still seems like simply the better choice. Anything else I'm missing?

Well I just meant that you'd be -1 AC because your wearing scale instead of plate. I personally think the extra AC is worth it, but your mileage may vary.

WOLead

First Post
Shield of Deflection sounds like a good reason to grab either light or heavy shields as any class. 5 or 10 resistance to ranged attacks is a nice advantage to have, especially if you get hit by a ranged power that makes multiple attacks.

Chen_93

First Post
Destil said:

Hmm I coulda sworn there was no +1 ac bonus to scale even in its text. Has there been an errata? Or am I remembering things poorly?

Remove ads