D&D 5E Should 5e have more classes (Poll and Discussion)?

Should D&D 5e have more classes?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
A rose by any other name would still swing a sword and wear medium armor.
Look at all the people that complained that their range-based fighter was actually a ranger in 4th ed. D&D's legacy is too strong to remove things that work, whether it's the best way to present a concept or not. Changing 5e by removing content is not going to happen officially. Best get out the scissors like one of the posters up thread suggested.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Disagreeing on this two. Honestly, if we could do things over again I'd grab that not-metamagic feat the Loremaster UA had and just, give that to sorcerers. Magic flows through your very veins, you should just be able to change it on the fly and do crazy stuff like that.

5E just, didn't do sorcerers well, but its a completely separate narrative from warlock magic. Its also why a lot of people look towards redoing it to be Con-based, rather than Cha base (well, that and the excess of cha-based classes)

Yeah that totally would have been how I did Sorcerers. Sorcerers would have been able to change a spell's damage type or saving throw.
A dragon sorcerer could change their spells to the damage and saving throw of their parent's breath attack.
A wild sorcerer would rolls randomly for both
A divine soul sorcerer could change them base on their soul alignment.
A shadow sorcerer could change damage to nercotic and saving throws to Con
A storm sorcerer could change spells to lighting damage and Dex saves or thunder damage and Con saves.

Lightning balls for everyone.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Yeah that totally would have been how I did Sorcerers. Sorcerers would have been able to change a spell's damage type or saving throw.
A dragon sorcerer could change their spells to the damage and saving throw of their parent's breath attack.
A wild sorcerer would rolls randomly for both
A divine soul sorcerer could change them base on their soul alignment.
A shadow sorcerer could change damage to nercotic and saving throws to Con
A storm sorcerer could change spells to lighting damage and Dex saves or thunder damage and Con saves.

Lightning balls for everyone.
I would be cool with a lot of these suggestions if the sorcerer had to learn the spell that way... so instead of learning Fireball and you can change it to Lightning, you learn Lightningball and you are stuck with it.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Honestly, I'm not sure why the people who want fewer classes are playing 5e at all. There are many, many other fantasy games with fewer/more condensed class options. 5e is not going to have less stuff. They don't even evince much interest in fixing the stuff they do have. The very existence of the upcoming Tasha's book is like a strange dream to me.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I would be cool with a lot of these suggestions if the sorcerer had to learn the spell that way... so instead of learning Fireball and you can change it to Lightning, you learn Lightningball and you are stuck with it.

I would be fine with that.

When you learn a spell, you could to learn the spell modified by your sorcerous origin or not. You could learn the both the original version and one of the sorcerous versions but each version you know counts as one of your spells known.

So a storm sorcerer could have fireball, lightningball, and thunderball but that takes up 3 of their precious spells known.

Honestly, I'm not sure why the people who want fewer classes are playing 5e at all. There are many, many other fantasy games with fewer/more condensed class options. 5e is not going to have less stuff. They don't even evince much interest in fixing the stuff they do have. The very existence of the upcoming Tasha's book is like a strange dream to me.
My optimal design would have classes even more condensed, but aside from sorcerer I'm OK with every 5e class existing. They have decent thematic and mechanical uniqueness. I'm also OK with subclasses being added, but I don't want any more classes. Or I'm not even fundamentally opposed to that, it would just require something much more distinct than anything people have brought up in this thread. Perhaps at some point someone manages to sell me some new class concept.

People keep saying things like that, but no one has actually articulated what it actually means in practice. What are the sort of feature that a warlord must have, which doesn't fit in the subclass budget?

Furthermore, as I said earlier, I don't think that a pure support class that does practically nothing else fits in the 5E design paradigm, Classes have their fortes, but they're not one trick ponies. Like sure, clerics heal and buff, but they can also fight. And now you might say that it is sufficient that warlords have mundane combat capabilities similar to the cleric and dedicate the rest of their budget to support. But clerics don't do that, because they can also use their spellcasting for combat. So to equal the similar personal combat power on a mundane character, this means having greater non-magical combat power than the cleric has, and then we are already nearing the fighter territory.
A couple of people have made suggestions, but in essence, the BM fighter only has a few dice to perform maneuvers each short rest, and those maneuvers are relatively minor and don't scale well at all.
The "lazy lord" was an edge case only really made possible by a splatbook, and isn't indicative of warlords as a whole, but the ability to attack an opponent and grant effective bonuses against it for example is something that a warlord should be able to do regularly. The issue is that as a Fighter subclass any bonus-granting actions are having to compete not just on a 'class power' economy, but also the action economy, with the fighter's monster attacks/round and other directly offensive capabilities.
- It is similar to the way the Eldritch knight just isn't an effective blaster wizard, because their spells are just too weak at the level that they get them to compare with their weapon attacks.

Psionics is a different type of magic. Its different from Divine magic, Arcane magic and Primal magic (druid/shaman/barbarian stuff)
How?

Is the clarification between these not as clear this edition? Sure. But there is the design space there, and the legacy
The legacy is the main reason why people want this.

I'm not even fundamentally opposed to having psions, but seems pretty pointless to have yet one more marginally different sort of magic user. And there is a weird overlap. Usually fiction either has magic or psionics, not both. Because the latter is just marginally more scientific sounding interpretation of former. So having both is weird.

Remove ads