D&D General Should ENworld Posters Design a D&D?

But at this point, what numerical advancement are you allowing? AC can't grow because so-called "bounded accuracy," which was (explicitly) why they made HP grow instead. That was openly discussed during the Next playtest. If you're capping HP at an extremely low value reached extremely quickly, how do characters grow?
(a) Class and subclass features;
(b) Feats/ASI when applicable; and
(c) An additional HD which can be used to fuel additional class feature uses per day or restore hit points.

What more do they need?

EDIT: I should clarify your meat need not increase - that would make creatures threatening which is something 5e lacks as PCs increase in levels.
PCs could still burn "stamina" in the form of HD to deflect/parry/avoid blows and have DR via their armour, so AC would not be as high. The latter is where I would need to think on whether we really want +5 from to ability modifiers when it could be 12-14 (+1), 15-17 (+2), 18-20 (+3)

That is just me musing on how I would change the entire system from the ground up, not really ideas that would work for what @Zardnaar is trying to do.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
(a) Class and subclass features;
(b) Feats/ASI when applicable; and
(c) An additional HD which can be used to fuel additional class feature uses per day or restore hit points.

What more do they need?

EDIT: I should clarify your meat need not increase - that would make creatures threatening which is something 5e lacks as PCs increase in levels.
PCs could still burn "stamina" in the form of HD to deflect/parry/avoid blows and have DR via their armour, so AC would not be as high. The latter is where I would need to think on whether we really want +5 from to ability modifiers when it could be 12-14 (+1), 15-17 (+2), 18-20 (+3)

That is just me musing on how I would change the entire system from the ground up, not really ideas that would work for what @Zardnaar is trying to do.

OSR/&B/X are usually +1 13-15, 16-17 +2 and 18 is +3.

I quite like those numbers on a 2d6 skill point system.

aco175

Legend
Is there any basic assumptions about the style or feel you are going for? There seems to be a lot of things all over the map. First page talks about covering only levels 1-5 and now we are worried about HPs after level11 or caps on powers at high tiers. Is the tone of the edition just to fix what we do not like with 5e or to blend 4e and 5e, or to make something with a cinematic feel or low fantasy, low magic? Would help to know what to design to.

Faolyn

(she/her)
If the designers are concerned that counting down, subtracting, or in some cases taking a lower number to be better can't be included in the game because they're too difficult for typical players to deal with, that says a great many very bad things about the education system those players grew up with.
I'm sure my friend with dyscalculia, and my other friend who has to balance gaming while trying to get his toddler to stay in bed, and and my friend who's DMing and who has to deal with all of the other parts involved with running a game while being stressed out from work and sometimes their chronic illnesses will be glad to know their desire to add rather than subtract are just due to poor education.

In other words, what you're saying is just a form of gatekeeping. "Oh, you're not smart enough to play this game."

Faolyn

(she/her)
So, should we do a "vote up a D&D-alike" thread? I could start one (not today, I have a doctor's appointment and then game at night).

If I do start one, what should be first? Lineages, classes, stats, or something else?

mamba

Legend
So, should we do a "vote up a D&D-alike" thread? I could start one (not today, I have a doctor's appointment and then game at night).

If I do start one, what should be first? Lineages, classes, stats, or something else?
we need different ones or we are stuck where 5e is. At a minimum we would need two, one for low magic / gritty and one for high magic / superhero martials

Remove ads