D&D General Should ENworld Posters Design a D&D?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
This is literally objective pedagogical science. People learn best when patterns are consistent. Counting up is easier than counting down. Adding is easier than subtracting.
If the designers are concerned that counting down, subtracting, or in some cases taking a lower number to be better can't be included in the game because they're too difficult for typical players to deal with, that says a great many very bad things about the education system those players grew up with.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
5E engine gives is just the skills, proficiency system and round structure. What's your preferred on and what xan it do that the 5E one can't?
5e engine also gives the class-subclass-multiclass structure, bounded accuracy, the CR system, and the resource recovery paradigm; all of which would probably want to be long-looked at in EN5e if not uprooted completely.

Never mind the round structure needs a lot of work (or perhaps things that interact with it need the work, whatever), and were it up to me the skills and proficiency systems would be torn down and maybe only partially rebuilt from scratch.

Zardnaar

Legend
5e engine also gives the class-subclass-multiclass structure, bounded accuracy, the CR system, and the resource recovery paradigm; all of which would probably want to be long-looked at in EN5e if not uprooted completely.

Never mind the round structure needs a lot of work (or perhaps things that interact with it need the work, whatever), and were it up to me the skills and proficiency systems would be torn down and maybe only partially rebuilt from scratch.

I would junk the CR system except for determining the monsters proficiency bonus.

Bounded accuracy coukd maybe be stretched topping out a +8 maybe by 20.

Classes can be rewritten that's not part of the 5E system as such. You could do 4E type ones, 3E ones or OSR for example.

Seriously thinking of tweaked OSR style class advancement and multiclassing.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I woukd junk the CR system except for determining the monsters proficiency bonus.

Bounded accuracy coukd maybe be stretched topping out a +8 maybe by 20.

Classes can be rewritten that's not part of the 5E system as such. You could do 4E type ones, 3E ones or OSR for example.

Seriously thinking of tweaked OSR style class advancement and multiclassing.
Amen to the last one there!

Independent (1e-2e) rather than additive (WotC-era) multiclassing - yes please! :)

Zardnaar

Legend
Amen to the last one there!

Independent (1e-2e) rather than additive (WotC-era) multiclassing - yes please! :)

My older nots I use different xp tables.
Since clerics get stiff now I woukd swap around cleric and fighter xp requirements.

Hit point levels I'm thinking 3.0 might be the sweet spot. More than AD&D less than 3.5 onwards.

B/X a fighter by level 20 gets +13 to hit vs 5E + 11. Also thinking ability scores don't increase or at key levels topping out at 18.

Xp for level 2.

Rogue 1250
Fighter 1500
Cleric 2000
Wizard 2500

Figure it out from there.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
My older nots I use different xp tables.
Since clerics get stiff now I woukd swap around cleric and fighter xp requirements.

Hit point levels I'm thinking 3.0 might be the sweet spot. More than AD&D less than 3.5 onwards.
Even in 3.0 I thought h.p. levels were getting a bit much, particularly on the monsters' side, once character levels got to double digits.
B/X a fighter by level 20 gets +13 to hit vs 5E + 11. Also thinking ability scores don't increase or at key levels topping out at 18.
A soft cap, though, so someone could get to 19 or even 20 but it'd be a rare thing.

We took the Cavalier's percentile increment system for stats (check the 1e UA if you're not sure what I mean) and applied it to everyone. That way, your prime stats slowly advance but there's no set rate or predictable level at which they might tick over, and it's slower than 5e's ASIs in any case. Edit: And percentile increments can let you slowly grind past the usual species-based or whatever caps on stats.
Xp for level 2.

Rogue 1250
Fighter 1500
Cleric 2000
Wizard 2500

Figure it out from there.
I use staggered advancement but over the years I've flattened it a bit from what original 1e has. Here you list a range of 1250 to 2500 to reach second depending on class, my range is 1400-2200.

Remove ads