• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Should I patch Etools?....

Larsenex

First Post
This may sound silly but as with most software and Beta patches I am a bit reluctant to patch etools. I have the patch downloaded and I can click on it and patch, however I am not sure if it will be more harmful than good. Please advise me of your success or faliure with doing this and weather you think it is a good idea to do so..

My thanks in advance..

Lars..

Larsenex

First Post
Forgot to add ..an item..

Sorry I was also wondering if I should get the etools helper that I am hearing about? Can someone point me in the direction on where I can find it and if I should also get it as well?..

thanks again..

Lars...

Davin

First Post
Larsenex said:
Please advise me of your success or faliure with doing this and weather you think it is a good idea to do so..

The beta patch fixes some problems but causes others. If you're not comfortable fiddling with things to get around problems, I'd wait on the patch until the final version.

Sorry I was also wondering if I should get the etools helper that I am hearing about? Can someone point me in the direction on where I can find it and if I should also get it as well?

That, I think I can answer. Visit my site at www.dallas.net/~davin to pick up the components. I may be a bit biased, but most eTools users seem to find it indispensible.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I'll second that. ET Helper is a must if you want to use E-Tools. It is really the only way to share what others have added.

Last edited:

D-rock

First Post
I would get etools helper. As far as the greatest things of all time list, Davin and etools helper would rank somewhere between sliced bread and God as far as etools is concerned and it wouldn't be the same without it. Ok, so I am exaggerating a little. Its not a fix all but it adds a lot of functionality to the program.

Last edited:

Larsenex

First Post
Can you show me some examples of how the Etools helper from Davin can be useful? I am at a loss as to what I am to do with it other than Back up my etools files...Also one of the modules does not work unless I patch up my etools..which I am reluctant to do...Also there is a feature that I want to add to my Char sheets..when you make a char and go to features tab, if you highligt a feature..such as 'rage' at the bottom it gives you what that feature does or benifits that char such as showing that Str is +4 and Con +2 and AC is -2..I would like this info to print..is there a way?.

Lars

Last edited:

thalmin

Retired game store owner
ET Helper allows you to exchange with each other any spells, feats, races, equipment, etc. that you or anyone else have made. This way everyone in your gaming group can have the same rules with which to work. You can alos take advantage of the e-tools community which has already input most of the offerings from various splatbooks, MMII, BoVD, or whatever. Without ET Helper, you will have to create everything yourself.
Then there is the class-editor...

Chaz

First Post
I agree that ET helper is a must have. As to the patch... well it has some usefull stuff, but yeah it breaks other things. Overall I am using the patch.

A question for Davin though.. Hey Davin isnt the currrent version of ETH set up to work with the patched ver. of ET? If so then will you put up an old download of ETH for those who dont want to patch? If it does work with both versions then never mind.

Davin

First Post
Chaz said:
Hey Davin isnt the currrent version of ETH set up to work with the patched ver. of ET?
I never got around to fixing the DB Edit module to work with the unpatched version. However, the DB Sets module works just fine either way. It auto-detects which database you're using and deals with it directly. (And just for others that may not know...) it also detects when you're loading an old file into a new DB and converts the data for you on the fly.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads