D&D 5E Should the Hexblade Patron be Banned?

Should the Hexblade Patron be Banned?

• Poll closed .

Stalker0

Legend
I agree with others that its less that its OP and more that blade pact is UP. Again so much of the concept is tied into making a competent melee gish that actually has a reason not to just sit back and EB all day. The Hexblade is actually cool enough to make that happen, but its doesn't blow away other warrior types by any stretch (I'll put a paladin against a hexblade any day)

My only beef with the class is I don't like the spiritual buddy thing....I don't mind that concept but it seems weird as a core aspect....I wish that had been an invocation choice instead of a core ability.

Yes its a really good dip, but its certainly not the only one in 5e. There is a reason multiclassing is optional...it requires a bit of DM oversight to ensure the abuses are kept in check...and banning the hexblade would not change that.

Vael

Legend
I don't have an issue with the Hexblade, it's more I have an issue with level-based multiclassing in general. Didn't care for it in 3.5/P, was glad to see it gone in 4e, wasn't happy to see it return in 5e.

Warlock multiclassing, while not banned in my groups, is definitely frowned upon, whether for Paladins that want Divine Smites that recharge on a short rest to the Sorcerer using the same strategy to recover Sorcery points ...

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Hexblade as a warlock is just fine.

Hexblade 1 (or 3) as a multiclass dip for paladin is a bit too good of a cherry pick. But not worth nerfing the subclass.

I don't have an issue with the Hexblade, it's more I have an issue with level-based multiclassing in general. Didn't care for it in 3.5/P, was glad to see it gone in 4e, wasn't happy to see it return in 5e.

Warlock multiclassing, while not banned in my groups, is definitely frowned upon, whether for Paladins that want Divine Smites that recharge on a short rest to the Sorcerer using the same strategy to recover Sorcery points ...

I really advise to not allow warlock spells to fuel divine smite. That easily removes the exploit and is also RAW. Same for the sorcerer.
I hope a new PHB will clarify it better. The multiclass section about mixing pact magic and spellcasting is very clear about what is allowed.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I have a hexblade warlock player. It is absolutely nuts how much of a damage dealer she is, but she is essentially a glass cannon.

For one, she actually doesn't have much HP compared to a normal fighter, barbarian or paladin. Two, although charisma is high, the other stats aren't nearly as good, so she's vulnerable to opponent's spell effects.

That combination makes her very dangerous in combat, but also fragile.

Iry

Hero
If you took the "Use charisma on melee attacks" off the Hexblade and gave it to the Pact of the Blade then IMO Hexblade would be fine. Pact of the Blade then needs to get Thirsting Blade (two attacks with Pact Weapon) at level 5 for free rather than burning an invocation to be in the game you've already burned your pact to be in.
This. I understand they are extremely reluctant to update the PHB classes, but it's absolutely time to tweak a few. Sorcerer, Ranger, Pact of the Blade, etc.
I really advise to not allow warlock spells to fuel divine smite. That easily removes the exploit and is also RAW. Same for the sorcerer.
I never really had a problem with warlock spell slots being used for smites. It creates a few moments of awesomeness for the player (those big crits) but doesn't impact the game in any great way (compared to say, suggesting the king accept your proposal).

Inchoroi

Adventurer
Is it broken? No, not really. Is it the direction I would have taken? No, probably not. Out of all of the patrons, it seems so....out of sorts? I don't think that's the word I'm looking for, but it fits. Consider: Fiend Patron; does exactly what it says on the tin. Archfey; easy to understand and follow. Great Old One; Cthulhu got you, easy.

If I were to play one, I'd have it be a literal sentient magic item that I've bonded to, and I would have personality traits/bonds/ideals/flaws to go along with it.

jgsugden

Legend
This. I understand they are extremely reluctant to update the PHB classes, but it's absolutely time to tweak a few. Sorcerer, Ranger, Pact of the Blade, etc...
Tasha's is going to introduce variant build elements for all classes, some of which will be intended to provide more balanced options for underpowered classes. They did not playest a pact of the blade alternative, but it might be there. However, they did include an invocation that allows a pact blade warlock to use heavy armor.

Pact Warlocks were not quite as awesome of a melee force as a fighter or paladin, but when you tossed their spellcasting on top of the melee abilities, they were in the ballpark of balanced - and this is for non-Hexblades. I played a Great Old one Blade Pact Warlock and it was a blast, and never felt underpowered. Just creepy.

Iry

Hero
Tasha's is going to introduce variant build elements for all classes, some of which will be intended to provide more balanced options for underpowered classes. They did not playest a pact of the blade alternative, but it might be there. However, they did include an invocation that allows a pact blade warlock to use heavy armor.
That would certainly be nice! But it wouldn't be an update to the PHB. It would count as your +1 in AL, not be allowed by splat adverse DMs, and not tweaking the PHB will continue to make new players have the same concerns.

That would certainly be nice! But it wouldn't be an update to the PHB. It would count as your +1 in AL, not be allowed by splat adverse DMs, and not tweaking the PHB will continue to make new players have the same concerns.

I think you are overestimating the concerns of most players. Perfect balance is not that of a concern for most people I play with. My concerns are also mostly that some abilities are counteracting other abilities from the same class: Hello Ranger, Hello Bladesinger.
I sincerely expect a new PHB in 2 - 3 years.
At some point you need to update the core books to incorporate feedback from years of play.
Next year we will have other brands using 5e as their chassis. Most probably we we will see tweaks to the system. They might be playtests of a kind. Together with Tasha's option they might form the base of 5.5 or even 6e both of which will be mainly compatible with what we have now.

Remove ads